Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSmirk
Smirk King

Loc: Trancelvania, Florida
Do they need to breath??- Need advice, please.
    #1137108 - 12/13/02 01:59 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Shroomerz
I've grown ganja before, not shrooms, so this is my first time and I'm still learning and wondering!
I am currently growing in 1/2 pinch jars, using a brown rice flower,vermiculite, honey & water mix. Inoculation went well. The instruction said to leave the jars sitting for 3 weeks and I'd be looking for white mold. It's been 8 days since inoculation and the white mold is everywhere.
----- Here comes my worry----- It said something like if the mold reaches from top to bottum of the jar, it's time to open the jars.... well it does, but it's been only 8 days. I'm worried that if I leave the jars closed for a full 21 days, the "mold" might turn bad or might not have enough room to breath or something like that. Is that possible??? How dense is the mold suppose to grow???
Please give me some feedback...fast...I'm scared for my babies!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTriptopinkFloyd
No Hassles orBad Attitudes

Loc: nowhere I want to be
Re: Do they need to breath??- Need advice, please. [Re: Smirk]
    #1137113 - 12/13/02 02:05 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If the jars are 100% white around the perimeter of the jar they are fully colonized, you can case them or birth them or whatever you're gonna do. The mold won't go bad from being in there just make sure all of the jar is white because uncolonized areas are prone to contams.

--------------------
I do not partake in illegal acts of any kind, what i say is in pure interest for the science of mycology.

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
    #1137136 - 12/13/02 02:32 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Must not flame...

Hey Smirk, welcome to the shroomery. I think you should take an hour or two first off and read the FAQ's and look around in the cultivation forums to get some clue as to what you are trying to do. You're looking for mycellium, not "mold" in your jars. If you haven't a grasp of the very basics, there's not much anyone here can do for you. Not being a dick, just putting you on the path to righteousness. Happy growing.

Try a search for "pf tek" or"mmgg" to start.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Edited by Fred Garvin (12/13/02 02:33 AM)

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
    #1137153 - 12/13/02 02:48 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah sometimes they colonize fast.  Usually it takes about a month.  Mold is bad.  Mycelium is probably what you are seeing --good!  If you have a lot of jars, they will be colonizing at slightly different rates.  They will not colonize uniformly from top to bottom.  They will just colonize at random from the innoculation points according to the variables of moisture/nutrients/heat distributed in your jars.  You may need to move them around a little and maybe unscrew the lids a scosh for some air.  Don't worry so much! :smile: 

OfflineSmirk
Smirk King

Loc: Trancelvania, Florida
Re: Do they need to breath??- Need advice, please. [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1137259 - 12/13/02 04:10 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for your responses... as for the mycellium - please don't get to hung up on the details. I wasn't sure how to spell it and I was in a state of anxiety, so I figured mold would be understandable espacially since it looks like that. I will read all the faq's - thank for that tip since I'm planing on mastering the art of colonizing shroomz and am looking to learn, compare & experiment.
Peace
Smirk

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1138062 - 12/13/02 10:27 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

hey, smirk. welcome.

i think i know where you're coming from - plant growing is lots of fun, and as technical as you want it to be: i like it VERY technical, so i used to rig up reflectors, CO2, timers, and all that.... and shroom growing is just as much fun, but less forgiving.

Still, it's easy to get really into all the details and have a superb new hobby that you can tinker with every day. A bit of sterilising here, a bit of earthy-stuff mixing there, a bit of playing with humidity in between.

I heartily recommend sticking with cakes your first grow - enter 'magic mushroom growers guide version 3.2' into any search engine, print it, study it, and stick to it, to the letter. In three months you'll see the whole thing differently.

You're more than welcome (I hope! - I worry about this too) to post any specific questions about stuff you tried and didn't quite understand - that's what we all do: i find that people are really helpful with tips and advice.

A word of warning, though: shroom trippers can be a little intimidating sometimes in forums like this, where some people want to show off, some genuinely want to share knowledge, some are bonafide supergrowers just trawling for laughs, and a few are just arseholes, tripping or otherwise! [this is not aimed at anyone in particular :grin:]

Good luck, and see you again here soon! 

--------------------
buh

Offlinebugabuga420
bUgAbUgaBOO

Re: Do they need to breath??- Need advice, please. [Re: shirley knott]
    #1138493 - 12/13/02 12:37 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Did you get the honey additiion to water from shroomwizard growing guide. Ive heard many people having problems with this not the colonziation problems but it wouldnt pin. This is just what i read somewhere dont listen to me.

OfflineQlop
SolveEtCoagula
Re: Do they need to breath??- Need advice, please. [Re: bugabuga420]
    #1138564 - 12/13/02 12:57 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

From what I've been told honey water mixed into your substrate is a baddddd idea. + more sugars= less potency ; \

--------------------
I'm not the only one,
That walks between the rain, there are many
I'm not the only one
When everything is lost that doesn't surrender

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation