Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebardleyrichard
My Keyboard Got Damaged
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
Went hunting in the park nearby, probably last time this season
    #11353846 - 10/30/09 06:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Pretty sure it's an oyster, but I'm not sure what type or if I can eat it, I'd like to be able to eat them.
There are two different kinds. Both in the same area, but on different dead trees.

Two of them are one kind and the other five are a little different.
The difference is the two have darker caps, and are a little thinner, and also are soft/flimsier.

Habitat:
It was in the woods down near a stream in the city in a park.
It was growing on a fallen tree, I don't know what kind of tree.

Gills:
White, running down to the "stem"

Stem:
Not much of a stem.

Cap:
Diameter, color, texture, conical/spherical, convex/concave, etc.

Spore print color:
Could be white, but they are printing now.

Bruising:
Didn't notice any.

Other information:
Man

Also, I don't know if I should post these separately, but they are really sticky and were also growing on a tree.

Thanks fellers.
I have both David Arora books, but I really want to make sure.

--------------------
I find myself yearning for clouds returning, all that the rain promises, and more...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Trusted Identifier
Re: Went hunting in the park nearby, probably last time this season [Re: bardleyrichard]
    #11353930 - 10/30/09 07:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Im not sure #1 are oysters. #2 is Flammulina Velutipes, A edible know as The Winter Mushroom. It is sold in stores under the name Enokitake.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Went hunting in the park nearby, probably last time this season [Re: bardleyrichard]
    #11353932 - 10/30/09 07:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Those first ones are oysters. Nice little ones, so they're likely to still be near their best.

The others look like Flammulina (Enokitake). You need to verify that they have a white spore print.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebardleyrichard
My Keyboard Got Damaged
Male User Gallery

Re: Went hunting in the park nearby, probably last time this season [Re: ToxicMan]
    #11354043 - 10/30/09 07:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

K, thanks very much!
I'll report back sometime soon with spore print color.
But, both of these are edible?
That's sweet, are the sticky ones tasty at all?

Oh and should I cook either of them?

--------------------
I find myself yearning for clouds returning, all that the rain promises, and more...

Edited by bardleyrichard (10/30/09 07:22 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #11355024 - 10/30/09 10:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Both of those species are popular edibles. As with anything you've never eaten before, eat only a small quantity (less than 1/8 of a teaspoon) the first time and wait overnight. You might be allergic to them. Also, keep at least half of each collection in your refrigerator in a paper or waxed paper bag so that if you get sick you can take them with you to the emergency room. They will then be able to get somebody to verify their ID so they can treat you for mushroom toxins (if they're not what we think they are), or for some other type of food poisoning if they're not poisonous mushrooms.

You may think I'm being facetious by suggesting the possibility that we could have misidentified your mushrooms. I'm not. We're looking at photos you've taken and are making our best guesses based on what we can see and what you've told us.

In the end, if you want to eat them then you need to consider the possibility of error. Neither of those mushrooms looks much like any known deadly poisonous species (assuming you've verified that the Flammulinas have a white spore print). But *you're* the one who is going to eat them. If there's a mistake, *you* will be the one that gets sick. That's why you should eat only a tiny amount. If it turns out you can't eat that species then you won't get as sick.

I know professional mycologists who have eaten mushrooms and been poisoned by species that I have eaten without any problems. What is OK for me to eat might not be for you. I know people who get sick when they eat Boletus edulis, probably the most eaten edible mushroom in the world.

If you eat some and you're not sick overnight, then you can eat the rest of that collection.

You should also be aware that you can freak yourself out badly enough to make yourself sick after eating perfectly edible mushrooms. The books are full of accounts of people who somehow convinced themselves that they ate something bad when there wasn't anything wrong at all. And they basically talked themselves into getting sick.

All of this is part of the fun of picking and eating wild mushrooms. The best part is that you can find and eat stuff that only a tiny percentage of people ever have tried, some of which is far superior to anything you can get at a store.

All wild mushrooms should be cooked thoroughly before eating. There are a few exceptions, but if you don't know for certain that a mushroom is OK raw you should assume that it should be cooked first.

As far as how tasty they are, you will have to decide that for yourself. I don't personally find that either of those species are very strongly flavored, but I know people who disagree with that.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebardleyrichard
My Keyboard Got Damaged
Male User Gallery

Re: Went hunting in the park nearby, probably last time this season [Re: ToxicMan]
    #11369838 - 11/02/09 02:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yep, spore print is white, nom nom.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck