Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineHenri Bergson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip
    #11368952 - 11/02/09 12:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi there,

I teach Philosophy in college and recently tried Liberty Caps for the first time. I wrote up this account in somewhat formal language as I'd like to pursue the matter academically in the future.

I'd really appreciate any feedback and suggestions for further lines of enquiry.

Thanks!

----

An Account of the Magic Mushroom

This account of my, ‘my’, experience of magic mushrooms begins on a walk with my brother through paths and fields in an isolated Cornish landscape. It’s late October and the weather is particularly foggy. We turn into a grazed set of fields facing north. I was later to discover that this set of conditions is the ideal for the occurrence of the most common, and amongst the most potent, magic mushroom in the British Isles: psilocybe semilanceata, or, the Liberty Cap.

Fortunately my brother was an amateur mycologist and so immediately recognised the distinctive appearance of these little fungi: a cream colouration throughout the thin, crooked stem and the bell-shaped cap. Most distinctive though was the ‘nipple’ apex. We spent a few hours gathering a hundred or so specimens. At home I placed them to dry and began reading about the organism, chiefly to gauge the safety of its ingestion.

A few days later, on a Sunday afternoon now in London, I mix about forty-five of the ‘shrooms’, as is their colloquialism, into three pots of yoghurt, to avoid their earthy taste. My girlfriend is with me in our flat -– it is important that she is in my company as a loving anchor to reality, ‘reality’, as my studies indicated that deep fear can arise in rare cases.

After an hour not much has occurred. I feel somewhat light but not much else. I read the newspaper but lose interest. Half an hour later I begin to feel disappointment because I am not experiencing the effects I had read others experience. But now a drunken state befalls me and I simply want it to end. If I had wanted to become drunk, I should have enjoyed the taste of a fine beer as well, rather than the muddiness of dried fungus. As a result, I have a slight anxiety simply to return to my usual state of mind. But then I decide to consider this anxiety as a phase of the trip I realised was now, two hours later, emerging. The anxiety left and the journey began.

I should say now that this new state of being consisted of a variety of quite different phases, both mentally and physically (if I may for now use that standard dichotomy). It was as if I had taken several distinct drugs one after the other, although certain features were constant such as spatial and temporal distortion. The first phase in fact began with spatial distortion. I looked at the printer whilst sitting at my desk and it seemed to expand slightly, then retract, as if (I think now) it had a rib cage and lungs within so to breathe. I then turned to the right and stared at a paper yellow, lit lampshade. Its two-tone yellow texture suddenly became three dimensional, having a depth of a centimetre or so. Fantastical interwoven streams flowed thereon, resembling a choreographed serpent dance or an animated Celtic, Nordic and Saxon weave design, as witnessed on historic jewellery and weapons. It is speculated that the Vikings at least took another hallucinogenic, or entheogenic, fungus -– the Fly Agaric – which induced the berserker rage where the warrior became one with his wolf or bear shirt (‘ber-serk’). To speculate, perhaps the mushroom also influenced the Northern European design style.

Next, I stood up but noticed that I had lost some control of my body. My movements were slow and clumsy. I slumped on the sofa and closed my eyes. I was overcome by a rich, deep, warm, loving calmness. I felt more comfortable than I have ever felt in my thirty years of life. I knew that my partner was close to me so I had no reason for an anxiety caused by feeling out of control. That sofa was so perfect, as was the room temperature, as was everything. This sweet happiness lasted with me for most of the trip, but there on that couch I embraced it fully. Here as well time now distorted in the sense that I did not know whether I had immersed myself in the calm for a few minutes or a few hours.

The next step down the rabbit hole revealed what seemed to be a portal to another reality. What I experienced with my eyes closed far exceeded what I experienced with those wide-pupiled eyes open. I ‘saw’ the most awe-inspiring patterns and space-scapes, perpetually in motion. I witnessed gigantic, multicoloured layers, now and again becoming more directly three-dimensional. It’s difficult to describe, but sometimes a three-dimensional image became properly three dimensional, such as the difference between seeing a three-dimensional object on television and seeing it in everyday reality. At that point, I felt as if it were therefore real (though I shall qualify that adjective later, as well as the personal pronoun).

In this inner world, where I felt as if I travelled through the universe, I at one point arrived at a super-structure of pointy luminescent sheets which converged at a centre point, like a star-sized, wide mechanical rose. This structure was a sentience, however, an alien being who tried to communicate with me. I here thought that perhaps (I was not certain) our search for alien life was restricted as humanity was only looking for it in the eyes-open world, the world Immanuel Kant calls Phenomena. Rather, we should realise that this other world I was accessing was the one which aliens used to make contact. Again, I was aware that I was speculating and certainly did not have the conviction of certainty that William James labelled noetic for mystical experiences. I didn’t know, I considered. But, as epistemology reveals, we cannot know, be certain of, much at all even in the phenomenal world. Even the great empiricist David Hume understood the problem of induction and causation which afflicts the science of men. A wishful thinker could have easily interpreted his experiences here as evidence of aliens, or even of God.

Many people consider their psilocybin experiences as spiritual. This is partly a semantic issue: if one means by spiritual, metaphysical, then this experience is spiritual. What is experienced goes beyond the physical world. Of course one could see a physical cause of the metaphysical experience, viz. that the Liberty Caps’ psilocybin is dephosphorylated to psilocin which then mimics the effects of serotonin in the brain’s serotonin receptors. This is a physical cause of the experiences; but the cause should not be conflated with the effect. A third-person explanation of an experience is never a sufficient explanation as it excludes the first-person experience. As Thomas Nagel illustrates, though we can theoretically know exactly how a bat’s brain operates, we can never know what it is like to be a bat – we cannot enter the bat’s first-person perspective. Likewise, though we can know what causes a magic mushroom experience – magic mushrooms plus physiology – we cannot thereby know what the experience is of, and more importantly we cannot thereby know whether that experience is of something that has an ontological status beyond my physical self. In sum, the question is open as to whether magic mushrooms make you only hallucinate or whether they allow your mind to access realities which are normally prohibited by the practical modus operandi of the brain and body.

God: I saw two flowing eyes staring at me. I considered them sentient and I still felt bliss. If I were already religious, I should probably have considered this to be proof of God. However, I realised that if I had not the cultural understanding of God from religion, I could not have interpreted my meeting as one with the almighty. I could also have interpreted this as a meeting with aliens desperate to make connections with human beings, or I could have interpreted it as a demon, or even as Satan. A spiritual experience must still be interpreted, and the tools used for interpretation are significantly cultural. The question though is whether religion emerged from such experiences in the past, or whether religion emerged from power structures or human anthropomorphism, etc. I’d argue that what we now call religion has a plurality of origins, drug-induced experiences being one of many.

Writing of the devil, at one point I believed I was the devil, Satan Himself. This was because, I think now, I saw many occult, demonic images but felt completely at ease; as if the dark spirits were my friends. One image I remember in particular was a sort of waterfall, shaped as a goat’s head, from which fell and ran tens of wolves, goats and skulls towards me. It was in black and white but covered simultaneously in multicolour. It was very ‘heavy metal’, a form of music for which I have a penchant. At another point I saw a streaming wall of skulls and iron crosses. It was hell; but I liked it, I was at home here. So it dawned on me that I was probably the Prince of Darkness. I took this all very light-heartedly though the images were intense. I still wonder whether I imagined this because I enjoy metal or whether metallers use these images because they use, it has been suggested, many drugs from where their inspiration derives.

Before I opened my eyes and entered the world of phenomena once more, another realisation and understanding dawned upon me: What was ‘me’? I realised that what “I” is, is only one ‘thing’ as a word. Really, “I” is a conglomerate of many levels. Though I had come to this thought previously in life via the study of Kant, Nietzsche, and some psychology, I had never properly come to this feeling. At one level, I always considered reason to be there, as a judge, a viewer of what was happening to me. Though reason had lost his power over the body and was very easily side-tracked vis-à-vis ‘his’ line of thought. I considered reason as something which rolled on the underside of my skull, metaphorically. On another level was the unfolding of ‘my’ imagination. If this was merely imagination, it was also “I” that was its author. But then on another level still “I”, another “I”, was watching this imagination unfold. Parts of the mind were watching other parts of the mind, so what part was “me”? Again, one understands how this collection of selves was metaphysical as it would make little sense to say that some physical parts of the brain watched other physical parts. The brain process is a necessary cause of my psychological insight, but not a sufficient explanation. Full understanding of the mind cannot be arrived at solely by physical neurology; other types of scientific criteria are needed which as of yet do not exist. Another level of my self was my body. As I opened my eyes, I decided to try reading. Rather surprisingly, when I opened Nietzsche’s ‘Thus Spoke Zarathustra’, the first sentence I encountered was, ‘“My ego is something that should be overcome”: that is what this eye says.’

As I got up, I could not walk properly, if at all. At one stage I tried moving to the bedroom but had to crawl back. Gravity was unstable and a great effort of will, if I can use that traditional concept now, was necessary in order to complete the most mundane of tasks. I wanted some paper from my desk two metres away, but realised it was too much for me. The cup of tea my girlfriend had made for me I wanted, but didn’t dare to pick it up as I knew I was not strong enough to do so. I ended up crawling to it on a low table and managed to sip a little. I then looked at my mother’s beautiful painting of our house in Cornwall and became exceedingly sentimental considering her great love for me. I then eventually managed to arrive at the other side of the room and looked at my father’s abstract watercolour of a harbour town. It became three dimensional and oscillated in and out of the wall like a giant speaker! It was incredibly colourful and fantastic. I noticed the little figures engaged in their daily lives there and fell in love with art. Moreover, my sense and appreciation of art and beauty increased a lot. More so for visual art than music, which was playing on television at one point.

I tried speaking, but was annoyingly always sidetracked in my thought and thus speech. I tried to explain the lack of power over my mind and body by using the analogy of the cartoon character He-man and his alter ego Adam, which seemed perfectly intelligible to me at the time. Just as Adam gains strength over his environment by transforming into He-man, so I needed to make a similar transformation so to gain that power. However, this logic did not translate well through my speech, and my girlfriend just considered me mad, mumbling on about the Masters of the Universe et al.

At a later point I started writing notes, quite odd as I look at them now, in order to not forget my trip. I noted down that art and logic were essentially the same thing as they put ‘things together, under a scheme (composition in art, taxonomy in biology)’. This seemed somewhat profound at the time, but now seems a little shallow. However, I do believe this idea could be investigated further, and therefore I realise that the fungus liberated my thoughts enabling seeds to be sown for development when one’s mind is less free but more focussed. The term ‘Liberty Cap’ is hence quite fitting for such mushrooms.

Despite common recounts of psilocybin journeys, I experienced no colour trails, no auras, but also no nausea (due to fungus digestion). I did not laugh as much as I had read others did. The only negative effects for me were the initial disappointment and brief anxiety, and a temporary moment where I looked at my hands which looked old, grey, decrepit with the finger nails sinking into my fingers. This, however, was rather brief; thereafter everything appeared healthy, fun, friendly, artistic and loveable.

The liberation this experience afforded me has led me to pursue much activity in the form of art creation, psychology, neurology, theology and further philosophy. It is obvious that language and culture encages the potential of our thought, though it hones it. The practical mode of thought inhibits the theoretical; the Liberty Cap liberates the latter by inhibiting the former.

-----

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip [Re: Henri Bergson]
    #11369024 - 11/02/09 12:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Excellent account, with the kind of analysis I could only expect from a philosophy professor.  By the way, I love your name.  I just started reading Bergon's Creative Evolution.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip [Re: Henri Bergson]
    #11369067 - 11/02/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I suggest trying Salvia next. Take a big ol hit.:satansmoking:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #11369071 - 11/02/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I teach Philosophy in college and recently tried Liberty Caps for the first time.

Did you think of 'the children'?

--------------------

OfflineAhimsa
µdose
Male

#11369268 - 11/02/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Amazingly well written although i didn't get it all reading it one time over.
Good luck with your further investigations, study, etc... :mushroom2:

OfflineFlickeryVision
Magic Professor
Male

Loc: Amsterdam!
    #11369375 - 11/02/09 01:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Formula: 0
(By "we" I mean me)

--------------------
Anyone in the Netherlands or London, UK looking to sell :sanpedro: or :peyotespectrum: just :pm:

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip [Re: Icelander]
    #11369377 - 11/02/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

How come you suggested that I take a bog ole hit of Drano? :confused:

--------------------

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #11369763 - 11/02/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Good writing, bravo if you really are a professor of philosophy :wink:

In the end of your post it sounds like you could eat more if there is a next time. Mushrooms are great... you should look into LSD and DMT if you care to experience other trypatmines.

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

Loc: Florida
    #11370244 - 11/02/09 03:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I usually don't read trip reports, but was curious of your perspective. As someone who probably spends a lot of time thinking about philosophy, it's a good thing to now expand your mind.  Diversify your intellectual input!  Shrooms are great, but if you get a chance try LSD, or cactus. Maybe in the future get a small group together, and go with the flow with out an agenda. (mix newbies with veterans)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#11372010 - 11/02/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The only negative effects for me were the initial disappointment and brief anxiety, and a temporary moment where I looked at my hands which looked old, grey, decrepit with the finger nails sinking into my fingers.

That happens to me every day upon waking, only the illusion persists all day. :sad:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#11372088 - 11/02/09 07:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The only negative effects for me were the initial disappointment and brief anxiety, and a temporary moment where I looked at my hands which looked old, grey, decrepit with the finger nails sinking into my fingers.

That wasn't negative. That was just death winking at you.:satansmoking: Most likely the most important event in that little trip.

--------------------

Edited by Icelander (11/02/09 07:59 PM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#11372196 - 11/02/09 07:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey! No piggy-backing on my exact same excerpted quote. :nonono:

Go find your own damned quote! :mad2:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #11372207 - 11/02/09 07:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You find em I fuck em.

--------------------

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

#11372934 - 11/02/09 09:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
You find em I fuck em.

:strokebeard:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

OfflineMeniona
Wanderer of the Wind
Female

Loc: Arizona
Re: Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip [Re: andrewss]
    #11373088 - 11/02/09 09:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FlickeryVision said:
we look like regular monsters...

Haha! We do indeed look like regular beasts, do we not? All wrinkly and oily with shiny claws and dorky teeth. Or maybe that's just me. I love it, though. I feel much more aware of the animal-ness of myself when I'm tripping and surveying my body parts closely. It's cool  :dancer:

--------------------

When we meet on a cloud, I'll be laughing out loud
I'll be laughing with everyone I see.
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

Loc: Florida
    #11374152 - 11/03/09 12:40 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I agree! This is the small crack in the armour.:peace:

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#11374639 - 11/03/09 03:53 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Proffesional philosophers account of salvia: *Inhale*......................  What the fuck!!!

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#11374691 - 11/03/09 04:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

God: I saw two flowing eyes staring at me. I considered them sentient and I still felt bliss. If I were already religious, I should probably have considered this to be proof of God

You will see them again.
They are your eyes.

Could it be  that God .. is you ?

:bliss:

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip [Re: Meniona]
    #11374731 - 11/03/09 05:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Meniona said:
Quote:

FlickeryVision said:

Haha! We do indeed look like regular beasts, do we not? All wrinkly and oily with shiny claws and dorky teeth. Or maybe that's just me. I love it, though. I feel much more aware of the animal-ness of myself when I'm tripping and surveying my body parts closely. It's cool  :dancer:

Jah, if you step back and take a look at the naked ape it often ain't a pretty sight. Especially after the 20s. Especially now with the first world becoming obese. Some young girls and men can be especially beautiful but for the most part we are one of the ugliest animals on earth IMO. Looks like some science fiction dork monster.

--------------------

Offlineoptyks
Stoned Soliloquy

#11375310 - 11/03/09 08:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Great report! Loved reading through it. It's interesting to hear from a somewhat "clinical" state of mind, a professional viewpoint. As others before me have suggested, I really would highly recommend DMT and, if nothing else, probably Mescaline. I only leave out LSD as it hasn't worked out for me either time I tried it. Could be my geographic, could be the potency, could be any number of things.. But I'm open to trying again.

I hope your new personal studies go well! If you are interested in looking more into the medical trials and effects of DMT and such experiences of the unknown, head over to Dr. Rick Strassman's website at www.rickstrassman.com . You can email him personally from there, and he will get back to you in a matter of days, in my experiences so far. As well, his book DMT: The Spirit Molecule is a fantastic account of his studies in the mid 90's detailing first hand experiences, both metaphysical and physical, of numerous individuals.
Enjoy!

OfflineFlickeryVision
Magic Professor
Male

Re: Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip [Re: optyks]
    #11375545 - 11/03/09 09:27 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

Proffesional philosophers account of salvia: *Inhale*......................  What the fuck!!!

:rotfl:

--------------------
Anyone in the Netherlands or London, UK looking to sell :sanpedro: or :peyotespectrum: just :pm:

OfflineFlickeryVision
Magic Professor
Male

Re: Professional Philosopher's Account of His First Shroom Trip [Re: Meniona]
    #11375555 - 11/03/09 09:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Meniona said:
Quote:

FlickeryVision said:

yeah! thats right! however I usually feel like I'M the only one looking like that, as opposed to we as a race, but that's just some issue I need to solve I guess.

--------------------

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

#11375872 - 11/03/09 10:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Meniona said:
Quote:

FlickeryVision said:

Jah, if you step back and take a look at the naked ape it often ain't a pretty sight. Especially after the 20s. Especially now with the first world becoming obese. Some young girls and men can be especially beautiful but for the most part we are one of the ugliest animals on earth IMO. Looks like some science fiction dork monster.

Christina Aguilera would respectfully deny that....

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY!

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

OfflineHenri Bergson
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11376484 - 11/03/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks so far for all your suggestions - most useful!

--------------------

OfflineMeniona
Wanderer of the Wind
Female

Loc: Arizona
    #11380262 - 11/03/09 09:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

andrewss said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Meniona said:
Quote:

FlickeryVision said:

:shrug: I think we're fantastic animals. But I'm pretty sure that's what most animals think about themselves. I don't think it really matters about being ugly or beautiful, because that's all subjective. But seeing everything and everyone for it's own unique pure beauty of existance is pretty neat... you should check it out, dude.

--------------------

When we meet on a cloud, I'll be laughing out loud
I'll be laughing with everyone I see.
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag