Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Bacteria-fungal symbiosis
    #11367808 - 11/02/09 11:08 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone know much about bacteria-fungal symbiosis?

Perhaps certain symbiotic relationships could be created under controlled conditions to accelerate the growth rate of the fungus?

Here is a clone jar that got contaminated with a mold and bacteria, one week after transferring the wedge i noticed pinning in the bottom half of the jar, is the fungus being triggered to fruit sooner by the contaminant/symbiont?

Ive noticed massive fruiting in manure grows that got slightly contaminated.. Since fruiting is triggered by stress, perhaps this is what's happening and it's not a truly symbiotic relationship? I guess its a fine line between symbiont, trigger and contaminate.. :shrug:

I couldn't find much info on the subject as it pertains to the Psilocybe genera, so any help is appreciated!

"Bacterial endosymbionts play essential roles for many organisms, and thus specialized mechanisms have evolved during evolution that guarantee the persistence of the symbiosis during or after host reproduction [1,2]. The rice seedling blight fungus Rhizopus microsporus represents a unique example of a mutualistic life form in which a fungus harbors endobacteria (Burkholderia sp.) for the production of a phytotoxin [3]. Here we report the unexpected observation that in the absence of endosymbionts, the host is not capable of vegetative reproduction. Formation of sporangia and spores is restored only upon reintroduction of endobacteria. To monitor this process, we succeeded in GFP labeling cultured endosymbionts. We also established a laserbeam transformation technique for the first controlled introduction of bacteria into fungi to observe their migration to the tips of the aseptate hyphae. The persistence of this fungal-bacterial mutualism through symbiont-dependent sporulation is intriguing from an evolutionary point of view and implies that the symbiont produces factors that are essential for the fungal life cycle. Reproduction of the host has become totally dependent on endofungal bacteria, which in return provide a highly potent toxin for defending the habitat and accessing nutrients from decaying plants. This scenario clearly highlights the significance for a controlled maintenance of this fungal-bacterial symbiotic relationship."

"Gigaspora margarita harbors a further bacterial endosymbiont. Intracytoplasmic bacterium-like organisms (BLOs) were detected ultrastructurally in its spores and germinating and symbiotic mycelia. Morphological observations with a fluorescent stain revealed about 250,000 live bacteria inside each spore. The sequence for the small- subunit rRNA gene obtained for the BLOs from the spores was compared with those for representatives of the eubacterial lineages. Molecular phylogenetic analysis unambiguously showed that the endosymbiont of G. margarita was an rRNA group II pseudomanad (genus Burkholderia). PCR assays with specifically designed oligonucleotides were used to check that the sequence came from the BLOs. Successful amplification was obtained when templates from both the spores and the symbiotic mycelia were used. A band of the expected length was also obtained from spores of a Scutellospora sp. No bands were given by the negative controls. These findings indicate that mycorrhizal systems can include plant, fungal, and bacterial cells."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bacteria-fungal symbiosis [Re: HerbBaker]
    #11368993 - 11/02/09 02:46 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

most Agaricus species will not fruit unless they have bacteria in the casing layer, the theory is that they reduce/utilize the metabolites given off the mycelium of the mushroom.  these metabolites actually inhibit fruiting so that fruiting is only possible if the metabolites are removed, which the bacteria do.

there is research on A bisporus to try and induce pinning through the use of an ecologically balanced casing layer i.e., the use of sterilized casing that has been mixed with a known population mix of bacteria/microbes.

But as far as i know this is mostly limited to the secondary decomposers that is compost lovers and not the wood rotting fungi like oysters.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Bacteria-fungal symbiosis [Re: solumvita]
    #11369475 - 11/02/09 03:48 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

There's some bacteria-fungal symbiosis in nature, but I honestly can't tell you much about it. However, I'm a little more familiar with the more adversarial relationship, specifically involving P. Ostreatus (and allies) and Stropharia rugoso consuming coliform bacteria.

The jar started pinning early because one of the major pinning triggers involves full colonization. If the mushroom mycelium hits the microbiological wall of another species colonizing the same substrate, it goes into fruiting mode.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology