Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Eastern Missouri
North East Missouri Forest boggy brushpile find. Ident plz.
    #11363331 - 11/01/09 03:09 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Edited to fit the pictures hopefully where they are suppose to be.

Habitat:
I found a large number of these mushrooms growing from the damp underbark of large trees that had been bulldozed into low lying wet areas.  This was three days after heavy rains, mild frost the last couple of nights, found during 60 degree partly sunny weather. Growing next to a second variety sometimes fruiting in mixed bunches.

I am primarily wondering on the orange-brown capped mushrooms with the reddish-brown to tan stems.  Here is a second picture of these intermixed. 

Gills:
White-yellow-tan, crowded,2-3 tier (I think), narrowly attached to free, seceding, in maturity.  1-5mm depth toward the center. Becoming more tan to blackish mottled at maturity.  I think some of the specimens below are of the same species only starting to decay.  If I am wrong and that does not belong with the rest of these, I am sorry.  Distinguished by gill color turning mustard with mottled black/violet areas.

Fresh

Stem:
3-5mm wide in maturity. upwards to 5cm long. Dark reddish-brown basally ascending to tan below the cap.  The few veil remnants black-black/violet with spores.  Narrow central pith hollow in maturity with darker central ring in cross section.  (Should have taken a pic).  Apical striation marks possibly where gills separate from stipe? Even to tapered.  Bent either basally or near the cap. Cortinate partial veil when young.  Mycelia bluish when picking but quickly fading.

Basal view

Cap:

Hemispheric, to broadly convex. Margin white-tan-yellow, becoming brown to orangish-brown while drying, appendiculate, attaches to stem centrally, Central dorsal color varies from purple-black centrally, to orange.  Very small umbo present in some. On specimens with slight umbo, the apex of the umbo turns violet-black when drying or at maturity I think.

Spore print color:
Working on that.  Should be complete by this evening.  I am sure you can see the color on the dorsal region of inferior arranged cap surface.  Also color can be seen on the apical region of stem especially when the stem is bent upward near the cap. 
After two hours, very weak black-violet spore deposit on fresh specimens.  Will allow further build up.  Have had two people eye-ball various ones with the conclusion that they too saw black-violet coloring.  I do not trust my color judgment, thus the reason why I am trying to get a thick deposit on white paper.

Bruising:
Pictures shown below of the mycelia bruising right after picking.  No noticeable signs of bruising in drying.  Pictures up above on stem

Other information:
I appologize that in a couple of pictures I wanted to show how close in proximity these were growing from another yet unidentified mushroom which also seems to be depositing black-violet spores.  Still pending on the spore print on that one.  If anyone has an idea on what it may be, then let me know.  If it is worth having, I could go back for more.  Figured I would mostly stick to a species a day or I will start mixing things up.

The brush piles I had found these on were still damp.  I could dig my fingers into the wood in which they were sprouting from up to a depth of a couple of inches.  They seemed to reside on the lower end of the logs but were not touching the ground.  The trunks of the trees were thick and these were mostly being found near the lower end of the trunk on into the roots which were too off of the ground.  They were very well shaded and protected from wind.  It was rough finding some of these.  I have walked by these mushrooms for years and always wondered what they were.  Hopefully you all can help me with that.

Pictures of nearby unidentified neighbors

Currently drying.

Thanks all.

Edited by Greegus (11/01/09 09:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewhoever
Stranger
Re: North East Missouri Forest boggy brushpile find. Ident plz. [Re: Greegus]
    #11363528 - 11/01/09 03:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

your main purple-print #1 subject sounds like lacrymaria lacrymabunda to me, aka lacrymaria velutina, aka psathyrella something, but i'm a newbie

Offlinewhoever
Stranger
Re: North East Missouri Forest boggy brushpile find. Ident plz. [Re: whoever]
    #11363559 - 11/01/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ps i am so more than likely wrong i wish i could delete my post

Offlinewhoever
Stranger
    #11363857 - 11/01/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

obligatorily looking closer at your post, that cluster doesn't look anything like what i said

Invisiblelqdtrance
Hunter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NY
    #11364018 - 11/01/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like a Hypholoma in there.

--------------------
Pandha Piranha.

OfflineBert420
Stranger
Male

Re: North East Missouri Forest boggy brushpile find. Ident plz. [Re: lqdtrance]
    #11364101 - 11/01/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

looks like some galerina in there too

--------------------
Make love to the present, FUCK the past!!

OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

Re: North East Missouri Forest boggy brushpile find. Ident plz. [Re: Bert420]
    #11364975 - 11/01/09 07:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

a great example of why you have to be careful when picking edibles. Both Hypholoma sublateritium and a Psathyrella sp. are in this picture. This is also the same habitat that the deadly Galerina grows too.

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: North East Missouri Forest boggy brushpile find. Ident plz. [Re: You can all etibem]
    #11365535 - 11/01/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Oh really?  wow.  Very good to know.  Thank you much.

--------------------
Slowly learning from you, David Arora, and Paul Stamets

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

#11365718 - 11/01/09 09:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Right on with the Hypholoma sublateritium.  Seeing some mixed reports on edibility.  After verifying brown-violet spore prints (very faint) I am wondering if I should abort the drying process and set em up to cook for tomorrow.  Anyone know if these mushrooms reconstitute well after drying? 

Just the taste (did not swallow) was very slightly bitter like when accidently eating a small portion of hickory nut shell along with the intended meat.  (maybe some of you can imagine the taste if that has happened.  It was somewhat nutty with the young ones having an excellent texture.  I can not wait to cook em up. 

I separated all of the heads from the stems immediately when I got home to spore print everyone that could.  Too dangerous on cooking up the pins?  Most all still have their veil. 

Your all's thoughts on edibility?  Recipes you'd suggest?

--------------------

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

#11365895 - 11/01/09 09:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Disregard on attempting to eat them.  Some spore prints are just entirely brown.  Looks like I got a mixed bag here so will just study them to see if I can learn how to distinguish between them.  Is the thickness of the centrally located flesh within the cap an indicator?  Some of them seem much thinner or insubstantial. 

Thanks again for all of your replies.  Will give some ratings in the next couple of days.

--------------------

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: North East Missouri Forest boggy brushpile find. Ident plz. [Re: Bert420]
    #11366264 - 11/01/09 11:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Bert420 said:
looks like some galerina in there too

Which picture or pictures have galerinas in them?  Distinguishing feature from the hypholomas?  Some of these seemed to print straight brown spores I think.  Its dark and hard to tell with incandescent light at the moment. 

Will check in the morning.  Seeing if I can distinguish.  Still checking on them drying. 

I think I got a mixed bag here and do not plan on eating any of them.  Have been spore printing all caps that were open.  Some that had a remaining cortinate veil when picked have so far yet to finish opening or depositing spores.  I think them and the pins collected are not a safe bet either way.  Do not know enough about this yet.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------

OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

#11367304 - 11/02/09 05:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't eat them until you are 100 percent positive about what a Hypholoma is. This picture is mostly Psathyrella.

and the brown mushroom in the middle here is also a Psath

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: North East Missouri Forest boggy brushpile find. Ident plz. [Re: You can all etibem]
    #11368999 - 11/02/09 12:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks again.  I was able to see the differences between those two and I did not pick any psathyrella.  Some people mentioned seeing galerina within and I was mostly concerned about the unopened pins growing along with the hypholoma since I could not spore print those. 

Everything opened or partially cortinated were printed. 

After checking the prints this morning of all the caps that could be printed, all of the ones I suspected as being hypholoma were showing Chocolate to brown-violet spores.

Thanks again for your help.  Have learned tons from ya so far due to you giving me some names to look into. 

The log these were pulled off of probably had about 9-10 other varieties of mushrooms growing on it.  I would have tried to ident all of them but I fail to have the orginization to be able to collect and compartmentalize various specimens while allowing them to print undisturbed out in the field. 

Any suggestions on a good setup to use?  Might buy a large plastic tool box and a bunch of small tupperware containers in the future. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

Thanks again.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck