Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSprezzatura
Virtuoso
Male

Loc: On the Atlantic Ocean
Fully colonizing Bulk Substrates?
    #11366556 - 11/02/09 02:25 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I've been studying a bit about how a mycelium colony reproduces (creates mushrooms)  It's quite fascinating.
Rhizomorphic strands of mycelium can grow upward, through a substrate 2-3 inches, towards oxygen and light, and create a mushroom, without colonizing any of the substrate around it.

I was thinking about spawning Wild Bird Seed to Pasteurized Coir/Verm, mixing the seed through it well and then adding a non-nutritious casing layer to it BEFORE it starts colonizing and immediately introducing it to a 'natural' fruiting environment.

What I want to ascertain from this, is that if introducing colonized grain to a substrate in a more natural type environment, similar to how it would work in nature, i.e. not raising C02 levels to colonize all of the substrate and see if fruiting would be any less and how it would differ.
What I'm thinking may happen is that the grain will colonize some of the bulk substrate and get a good footing on it, and some of the more rhizomorphic strands will head towards the surface and begin the reproduction process--fruiting-- while some of the less aggressive mycelium continues to colonize the substrate. 
what I'm hoping to extract from this is 1. quicker, healthier, more natural fruiting evolution, and perhaps 2. more flushes.

I would like some feedback on this because this is just some of my thought processes and ideas and I have no real data to back up whether or not this will work or not; I could be ass-backwards and completely wrong :smile: 
So if any of the more experienced cultivators could lend their 2 cents.. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

--------------------
Spectaculorum procedere debet

:mushroom2: :beer:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: Fully colonizing Bulk Substrates? [Re: Sprezzatura]
    #11366564 - 11/02/09 02:28 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

sounds to me like CONTAM CITY!

the CLOSED colonization chamber helps to keep a still air environment that helps to thwart all that extra contam.. Mushrooms STRUGGLE in the wild to fruit, we try to gibe them a nice clean place to do their thing..

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Fully colonizing Bulk Substrates? [Re: Slimz]
    #11366624 - 11/02/09 02:46 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yes agreed.

Why try to reinvent the wheel? The best chance for fruits, a nice pin set, and no contamination is to let it colonize 100%, throw a casing on, then fruit immediately.

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

OfflineSprezzatura
Virtuoso
Male

Loc: On the Atlantic Ocean
Re: Fully colonizing Bulk Substrates? [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #11366628 - 11/02/09 02:49 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, you're probably right... I'll probably try it just to see what happens for the hell of it... but I suppose overall I better just do what works best.

--------------------
Spectaculorum procedere debet

:mushroom2: :beer:

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Fully colonizing Bulk Substrates? [Re: Sprezzatura]
    #11366633 - 11/02/09 02:52 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Oh and your mycelium that tends to go upwards towards the light and oxygen will also spread out. It forms a network that grabs nutrients any way it's able to. It may seem like it's only going upwards but I guarantee it's grabbing nutrients from every direction possible.

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation