Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeli_d
Stranger
 User Gallery
North Texas I.D. Request
    #11364106 - 11/01/09 05:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey everyone.  I've been hunting in one location for the past 3 seasons to see what comes up depending on the temperatures / rainfall / etc.  This place is located in North Texas.  It's been between 45-75 degrees here lately with plenty of rainfall.  I found the best samples yet today (November 1) & was hoping to get some help identifying.  I have a hunch, but don't have anything to go off other than what I've read & pictures I've seen online.  Anybody?  Thanks!

Habitat:
These were obtained growing near some cow pens that border a wooded area and huge pasture.  The area was about 10-20 feet away from where the wooded area begins and do get some shade from those woods (depending on time of day), but they are technically in the pasture.  The area they came from looks like the place where the farmer/rancher would compost wastes from the cow pens (about 30 feet away).  There is a lot of straw nearby and various weeds.  It's hard to tell if they were growing directly from cow dung or not because of the "compost" feel of the area... but it's safe to say that at least one of the samples came from the remnants of a cow patty.

Gills:
Gills are white & straight/wavy & very fleshy.  Some of the gills of a few samples were not exposed (see images)... I cut open the caps open to expose them & there were some little bugs with wings in there.

Stem:
The stem is brownish white.  It is between 2-5" depending on the sample.  the texture is a straight one & their diameter is medium in size (maybe 1/2" on the bigger ones).  The stems to have that ring on them towards the top.  They don't bruise blue or purple... they stems bruise a brownish color.  On the smaller samples, when I made a clean cut on the stems I noticed a very distinct reddish color on them. 

Cap:
between 2-6", white/brown... clearly more of a distinct brown spot in the center of the cap with smaller brown spots cover the outer area.  Probably more spherical than conical on the smaller ones... as you can see in the picture, the big one is pretty flat.  They look concave to me.

Spore print color:
I think it's white.  I'm having trouble understanding how to get a good print... I'll post any updated info if I'm able to get something clearer.

Bruising:
Brownish on the larger ones.  On the smaller ones, I noticed a very distinct reddish color immediately following a clean cut on the stem.

Other information:
The scent is very mild, if at all noticeable.  Just a mild mushroom smell.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: North Texas I.D. Request [Re: eli_d]
    #11364412 - 11/01/09 06:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Chlorophyllum sp.?

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: North Texas I.D. Request [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11364502 - 11/01/09 06:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yes. green gills. poisonous

--------------------

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: North Texas I.D. Request [Re: 2859558484]
    #11365249 - 11/01/09 08:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The gills don't look green to me, but I could be off. The OP says white...

If it does have green gills then it is likely Chlorophyllum molybdites and like Wowitch said, is poisonous.

OfflineCrowsonator
Cubensis Hunter
Male

Loc: Cloud 9
    #11365734 - 11/01/09 09:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thats poison though...if ur in north texas u shouldnt have problems finding cubes my field has been coverd with all kinds of wild strains of cubes..i even found a really tall one but any how im in the texarkana area

--------------------
If you Build it ...They will come

Offlinerexwayne
1.21 Jiggawatts

Loc: Norfolk , va - lame
Re: North Texas I.D. Request [Re: Crowsonator]
    #11365750 - 11/01/09 09:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

got em in the back yard prettty much

--------------------
:dj:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: North Texas I.D. Request [Re: rexwayne]
    #11365766 - 11/01/09 09:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Chlorophyllum molybdites

Invisiblemattianyb
~MYCOPHAGIA~

Re: North Texas I.D. Request [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11365873 - 11/01/09 09:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

toxic

--------------------

[quote]Bretdaniel said:
Any idea's what they might be? Think any are eatable?[/quote]
:rofl2:

everything i post on this site is fake, i never partake in illegal activities.

Offlineeli_d
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: North Texas I.D. Request [Re: eli_d]
    #11367935 - 11/02/09 09:42 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ya'll are good.  After looking at some pictures of chlorophyllum molybdites, I'm sure that's them. 

I'll probably post a few more that I've seen, if they come up again in a few months.  Thanks everyone... ya'll are great.

Eli

Offlinetherapture
Tune Up Your Chips and Circuits
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere on the southern...
    #11368402 - 11/02/09 11:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Twiztidsage said:
The gills don't look green to me, but I could be off. The OP says white...

If it does have green gills then it is likely Chlorophyllum molybdites and like Wowitch said, is poisonous.

"Green gills" don't look very green in many specimens...if you would do a spore print on white paper, it would be very obvious why they are called that though...

--------------------
There is nothing but the truth...we are born and we die. Tune up your chips and circuits, you're going to live longer! -Electric Universe "Tune Up"

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: North Texas I.D. Request [Re: therapture]
    #11368455 - 11/02/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The gills only turn greenish when they are quite mature. They look white until then.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: North Texas I.D. Request [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11368982 - 11/02/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Cool, thanks fellas!

Lets keep up the good work!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds