Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSS32
Stranger

Loc: elsewhere
Casing Went 170+, Still Good?
    #11364174 - 11/01/09 07:34 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

While pasteurizing my casing soil earlier, it hit 172 for a little while, maybe 15 minutes.  RR says it should stay below 170.  Any chance it's still viable?

--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
What does the sound of a screen door mean?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
How far are the mountains? Where do they end? Why would the church?
Did the service begin? Tell me who died, and tell me who cried.
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Casing Went 170+, Still Good? [Re: SS32]
    #11364185 - 11/01/09 07:36 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

You're good :thumbup:  180 is a good average temp for pasteurizing..

OfflineOthyem
Male

Re: Casing Went 170+, Still Good? [Re: SS32]
    #11364190 - 11/01/09 07:37 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

It's fine, use it.

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Casing Went 170+, Still Good? [Re: Othyem]
    #11364228 - 11/01/09 07:42 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

It's okay until you go over 190.

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Went 170+, Still Good? [Re: Othyem]
    #11364232 - 11/01/09 07:43 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Its fine I always go up to 190f and then drop the temp.
If it is a casing and not a substrate then I keep it at 190f for 30 min then drop the temp to 160f.
CH

OfflineSS32
Stranger

Loc: elsewhere
Re: Casing Went 170+, Still Good? [Re: CH HELL]
    #11364248 - 11/01/09 07:45 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Good to know.  I asked a few days ago and someone posted this link from RR

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11352885

Quote:

Pasteurization tek

Load the pre-moistened to field capacity casing mix, compost or manure into quart mason jars. Place a lid and/or foil over the top. Put the jars into a large covered pot of cold water, with the water filled to 2/3 to ¾ of the way up the jars. A large kettle or pressure cooker works well. If necessary, put a plate or some other weight over the jars to prevent them from floating. Make sure you have a spacer or dishtowel under the jars to prevent the direct heat of the stove burner or flame from cracking your jars. Place the lid on the pot and turn on the stove. Bring the water to a boil, but watch over it and as soon as the water actually reaches a boil, shut off the stove, but leave the pot sitting on the burner. The preceding is for an electric stove that will remain hot for a little while after shutting off power. If you use gas, allow the water to boil for one to two minutes before shutting off the stove. After a couple of hours when they’ve cooled, the jars can be removed and used.

The first time or two you use this technique, monitor the interior of your jars with a meat thermometer. Place it right into the center of the peat or compost. You want to make sure the center of the jar reaches at least 140F and stays there for an hour, but don’t allow it to exceed 170F. Depending on the thickness and capacity of your kettle and lid, you may need to adjust the above times slightly. This tek works because glass is an insulator, so the temperature inside the jars lags the water in the kettle. When I use the above procedure with 7 full quart jars in my All American 921, it comes out perfectly just as written. If you use a smaller pot, you may need to turn the stove on briefly at the ½ hour mark for a few minutes.

The advantage to this tek is there is no pillowcase, etc., to drain and little to no mess or stink is made in your kitchen or pressure cooker. The disadvantage is you have a bunch of jars to wash when you’re done.
RR

--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
What does the sound of a screen door mean?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
How far are the mountains? Where do they end? Why would the church?
Did the service begin? Tell me who died, and tell me who cried.
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation