Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleswimmingfast

Grain Spawn - 1st attempt ?'s
    #11362967 - 11/01/09 04:16 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

I've started growing mushrooms by the BRF tek just this past month. But, I saw that grain spawn has larger benefits. I recently pressure cooked "4" 1-qt jars (the big mason type) with bird seed and water. I used the approximate quantities as described in a tek on this site. (COOKING TIME: 1hr starting when PSI reached 15) (Grain was previously soaked for 24hrs)
Nothing went wrong so far, but I have a few questions relating to the experience. It has been a day since I inoculated them with spawn from a BRF jar. No signs of anything weird, yet? But, two of the jars have a little mycelium growing.

Questions:

1) While cooking I hear snaps, crackles, and pops frequently during the first period of cooking. I understand that some seeds will burst, but is it normal to hear it so frequently?

2) After cooking I open the cooker and it smells awful. The four jars are in my mini fridge warmer now and they make a mild awful smell in there too. So, is bird food grain suppose to smell bad after you cook it, or, did I nuke them to long in the cooker? (COOKING TIME: 1hr starting when PSI reached 15)

3) Would rye grain smell bad too? Can I use the rye grass seed that is offered at Lowes Home Improvement Stores? I haven't seen it anywhere else so I went with bird seed.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

Re: Grain Spawn - 1st attempt ?'s [Re: swimmingfast]
    #11363013 - 11/01/09 04:23 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

Rye smells soooo gross when you PC it.... like throw-up.

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

Edited by ambargh (11/01/09 04:32 PM)

OfflineLucienis
Learning Permit
    #11363042 - 11/01/09 04:26 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

I'm not an expert on grains, but showing us what tek you used could help. There is hundreds of variations on how to prepare grain, so knowing which one you used could provide us with a few more details.

My thoughts
1 & 2) I'm no expert, I would just say that alot of that could depend on what type of seed you're using? Was it wild bird seed? Did it have mainly small round balls or large seeds like sunflower and corn?

3)Do you mean Rye Grass Seed or Rye Berries... there is a difference between the two and what usually grows on them. Rye berries are what most people use for cubensis, rye grass seed is used for... something else?

Invisibleswimmingfast

Re: Grain Spawn - 1st attempt ?'s [Re: Lucienis]
    #11363154 - 11/01/09 04:42 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

This is the tek I used: http://www.shroomery.org/5193/Whats-the-best-way-to-prepare-grain-for-mushroom-cultivation

I used Finch seed and a different wild bird seed. I used both in two separate jars each to see which works best. There are sunflower seeds (black shelled small ones) in one of the bags I bought. I'll put some picture up.

OfflineMissShroom
Future Legend
Female

Loc: Finland
    #11363199 - 11/01/09 04:49 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

I've never used grain myself but as I have understood sunflower seeds aren't quite good. Actually I've been adviced to pick them out before using the WBS. (You peeps knowing something please correct me!)

--------------------
:heart:Keep loving one another:heart:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation