Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
Critique my method of Air Exchange...
    #1136272 - 12/12/02 06:30 PM (14 years, 3 hours ago)

Hola, I'd like some input into whether or not you guys feel my methods of air exchange are satisfactory for this phase of the growing cycle.

Firstly, I have bubbler hooked up to a double air-pump which I run for 8 hours a day. Later during the day I fan my terrarium differently (no cardboard):

What I'm trying to show by the pics is that I take one end of my terrarium lid and basically flap it up and down 4-5 times, creating some kind of air-flow. Is this adequate? (BTW, The light source in the photos is the actual light source I use for the cakes, tin-foil to help reflect).

Lastly, look like a hyphal knot (top right hand corner of cake)?:

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineXiC_clone
Calls Shots 'Round Here
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth 25XX
Re: Critique my method of Air Exchange... [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1136324 - 12/12/02 06:48 PM (14 years, 3 hours ago)

Sounds like it would work.
For air Xchange, there is only 1 thing you are shooting for.
When ya open yer tupp, u can feel the humidity that is kept inside, like a warm vapor.
Your job is ro replace all that with brand new air. And hopefully if your setup is doing well, next time u open it u will feel the same warm vapor. Then rinse and repeat. :smile:

As long as your replaceing the old air in there, u should B straight. A lot of ppl have different ways of doing it. I just use 3 paper plates to fan into the tupp. Just get out that old air.

-XiC

--------------------
Don't soak your WBS dummy! There's an =>easy<= way.
For Your Health!

OfflineAgarico
arrrf 3 8 7
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands
    #1136518 - 12/12/02 07:37 PM (14 years, 2 hours ago)

Flapping the lid is not effective as pushing air into the box with a cardboard, but it does something anyway :grin:
I was thinking...why souldn't you make some holes at the side of the bins and fill them with polifill? Maybe it won't do the whole work but could help much.  As  co2 that should be removed is heavier than oxigen, breathing-holes should be made at the low side of the boxes.

In the image below(borrowed from mushmush) you can see an application of those air filters I was talking about.

Putting a little fan with timer will be great but expensive as the cardboard trick will do the same work :grin: it's up to you making such decisions, I'm mostly for the economical way (regulating misting and fanning manually also helps to understand what your cake really needs, making thing less abstract).

Your lightning is fine :wink:

Hyphal knots? I can't see them from here, I think what you see is just fresh mycelium growt.
You didn't dunk them or your temp is a little too high, they look dry exept the area you pointed as hyphal knot, that place has a good moisture level that I cannot find on the rest of the cakes(dunk them, you still can do, they'll be much healtier).

I hope to have been helpful in some way :crazy:

Bye :cool: 

Edited by Agarico (12/12/02 07:53 PM)

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Re: Critique my method of Air Exchange... [Re: Agarico]
    #1137100 - 12/13/02 01:53 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the replies so far guys  :grin:  Too dry eh?  Any second opinions on that?  I figured things were progressing normally as the cakes have been in the terrarium for about 6 days now (I only waited for 100% colonization, I didn't leave them in the jars afterwards for any amount of time, maybe a few days)....

Comments would be appreciated  :smirk: 

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1137117 - 12/13/02 02:07 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

well something's not quite right: with cakes, if you have enough humidity, they go all fuzzy before pinset, but yours appear a little shrunken and dryish.

I agree - try a dunk in cold water for 12-24h.

--------------------
buh

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Re: Critique my method of Air Exchange... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1137932 - 12/13/02 09:48 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not sure what that may be due too. I have noticed a definite change...mycelium seems to be growing out and getting "fluffier". It's been about 6 days now, I think I'll wait a bit longer before I go and dunk. (Besides, I've never dunked before and I don't want any screw-ups).

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1138001 - 12/13/02 10:11 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

the fluffy stuf is good. 6 days is good, too.
maybe if hey're your only cakes you should wait it out with half, and dunk the other half?

just an idea. good luck!

--------------------
buh

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Re: Critique my method of Air Exchange... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1138014 - 12/13/02 10:15 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yea, I've decided to wait a little longer before I dunk.  I figure that I birthed the cakes a bit early, (besides, it hasn't been too long) and I'm still seeing signs of healthy mycelium "breathing". 

BTW, thanks for the replies guys  :grin:

--------------------

Edited by Angry Mycologist (12/13/02 10:17 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation