Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Spirituality & Mysticism

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Is the USA a DE FACTO classist society?
    #11362693 - 11/01/09 03:29 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Or is this just another one of my crazy delusions? :crazy2:
Do you think the USA is a de facto classist society?
You may choose only one
Yes, Poid, and I'll explain to you exactly why I believe so.
No, Poid, and I'll explain to you exactly why I believe so.

Votes accepted from (11/01/09 03:28 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Is the USA a DE FACTO classist society? [Re: Poid]
    #11363097 - 11/01/09 04:34 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Ya I think its classist. Theres a lot of ignorance in America about America. People in the upper classes dont realize that the system doesnt work for everyone and people in the lower classes are brainwashed by the media into supporting the system even though they get swindles by the system.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is the USA a DE FACTO classist society? [Re: lines]
    #11363212 - 11/01/09 04:51 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lines said:
Theres a lot of ignorance in America about America.

What, precisely, do you mean by this?

Quote:

lines said:
People in the upper classes...

Who are these people?

Quote:

lines said:
...dont realize that the system doesnt work for everyone...

Why do you think they don't realize this, and what is the result of them not realizing this?

Quote:

lines said:
...and people in the lower classes are brainwashed by the media into supporting the system even though they get swindles by the system.

Can you provide specific examples of this phenomenon?

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #11363226 - 11/01/09 04:53 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i think the answer would have to be a resounding yes...as a glaring example..healthcare "reform" has turned into a cynical exercise in rewarding the insurance companies for being wealthy and successful..while levying a punitive tax for being too poor to afford their prices...if thats not classism..then i dont know what is...

if i had to hazard a guess as to why this is the case..it would be that conservative classism has replaced gender discrimination...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is the USA a DE FACTO classist society? [Re: Annapurna1]
    #11363239 - 11/01/09 04:56 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I wasn't talking about socio-economic classes, I was alluding more to social dynamics.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #11363251 - 11/01/09 04:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

:wtf:...

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11363270 - 11/01/09 04:59 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I guess this is just another one of my crazy delusions...:crazy2:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlineivander
Paragon of Animal
Male

#11363287 - 11/01/09 05:03 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Can you explain pls, why do you think this is your delusion?

--------------------
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Nietzsche

I've never faked a sarcasm in my life. True story.

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11363345 - 11/01/09 05:12 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

People in America dont know the reality of life for other Americans. People live in a media induced fantasy world where people in different segments of society dont understand other segments of society and they dont even understand their own segment of society.

The upper class are rich to middle class

The lower classes are middle classes to lower classes

The upper classes are prosperous and asume that people who arent prosperous are lazy, but the truth is most upper clas people never worked that hard for their money.

The lower clases want to feel as though they are part of the power structure so they support what the upper classes want so they can feel as though they are part of the power even though they are the ones being swindled by the power

An example of this is that military families support wars even though their fellow military people and their family members die in them

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11363935 - 11/01/09 06:55 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ivander said:
Can you explain pls, why do you think this is your delusion?

I think this may be a delusion because I sort of believe it, but don't really have any evidence to prove it.

Quote:

lines said:
People in America dont know the reality of life for other Americans. People live in a media induced fantasy world where people in different segments of society dont understand other segments of society and they dont even understand their own segment of society.

:thumbup:

Quote:

lines said:
The upper class are rich to middle class

The lower classes are middle classes to lower classes

Do you think genetics are a factor?

Quote:

lines said:
The upper classes are prosperous and asume that people who arent prosperous are lazy, but the truth is most upper clas people never worked that hard for their money.

I'd say this is a generalization, but I don't doubt that this sort of phenomenon is too rare.

Quote:

lines said:
The lower clases want to feel as though they are part of the power structure so they support what the upper classes want...

Can you give any examples?

Quote:

lines said:
...so they can feel as though they are part of the power even though they are the ones being swindled by the power

Do you suppose that all "lower class" individuals feel this way?

Quote:

lines said:
An example of this is that military families support wars even though their fellow military people and their family members die in them

I have a few family members who are in the military, and they support "killing the enemy"...:strokebeard:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male User Gallery

#11363968 - 11/01/09 07:01 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
I wasn't talking about socio-economic classes, I was alluding more to social dynamics.

Can you clarify what you mean by social dynamics?

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is the USA a DE FACTO classist society? [Re: DimensionX]
    #11363995 - 11/01/09 07:05 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

The dynamics of social interaction, the way people operate when they socialize with each other. I will explain further if you wish me to. :levitate:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11364001 - 11/01/09 07:06 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I dont think it is genetic, well I dont think people understand genetics properly... \
But I do think its related to inheritance

I dont think all lower class people feel the way I mentioned in an earlier post.

An example of what I talked about is people getting passionate about the republican or democratic presidentisal candidate when both candidates steal the wealth of the American people and give it to international corporations

a two party system is not a democracy, I think america should export democracy to america

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male User Gallery

#11364031 - 11/01/09 07:10 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
The dynamics of social interaction, the way people operate when they socialize with each other. I will explain further if you wish me to. :levitate:

Then yes i do think America is classist in this sense and the reason for it being so are best understood through socio economic separation. The rich live in a different world to the poor. They attend different institutions and take part in different social events. Because of this they have there own societies which have their own politics and forms of social interaction. The poor can not fit into these societies not only because of monetary reasons but because they do not understand the social dynamics involved in that world. Same things occurs if the rich try to socialize with the poor. They do not understand the poor persons way of life, way of communicating or social politics so they do not fit in.

Edited by DimensionX (11/01/09 07:11 PM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11364056 - 11/01/09 07:16 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lines said:
I dont think it is genetic

I sort of believe that genetics has something to do with this de facto classist society...:sadyes:

Quote:

lines said:
well I dont think people understand genetics properly... \

Which people? :what:

Quote:

lines said:
But I do think its related to inheritance

You mean of financial wealth? :money:

Quote:

lines said:
I dont think all lower class people feel the way I mentioned in an earlier post.

What percentage of these lower class people would you propose feel that way?

Quote:

lines said:
An example of what I talked about is people getting passionate about the republican or democratic presidentisal candidate when both candidates steal the wealth of the American people and give it to international corporations

See, this thread is steering towards the bigger picture--and that's fine and all, but I'm mostly concerned about things at the local level.

Quote:

lines said:
a two party system is not a democracy, I think america should export democracy to america

What?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male User Gallery

#11364075 - 11/01/09 07:20 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

lines said:

I sort of believe that genetics has something to do with this de facto classist society...:sadyes:

What are your reasons for this belief poid?

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11364096 - 11/01/09 07:23 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DimensionX said:
Quote:

Poid said:

Then yes i do think America is classist in this sense and the reason for it being so are best understood through socio economic separation.

Racism is a factor, too. :sadyes:

Quote:

DimensionX said:
The rich live in a different world to the poor. They attend different institutions and take part in different social events. Because of this they have there own societies which have their own politics and forms of social interaction. The poor can not fit into these societies not only because of monetary reasons but because they do not understand the social dynamics involved in that world. Same things occurs if the rich try to socialize with the poor. They do not understand the poor persons way of life, way of communicating or social politics so they do not fit in.

I don't think it's only about money...:strokebeard:

Quote:

DimensionX said:
Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

lines said:

What are your reasons for this belief poid?

Think about racism, think about the mentally retarded, think about Terri Schiavo...:sad:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male User Gallery

#11364118 - 11/01/09 07:27 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Oh i see, you think people seperate themselves based on genetic traits. I agree with this.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11364124 - 11/01/09 07:27 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

That's one of the factors, yes.

EDIT: I really hope this conversation doesn't end here, :lol:!

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Edited by Poid (11/01/09 07:28 PM)

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male User Gallery

#11364134 - 11/01/09 07:28 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Another one i would add is the human tendancy to want to feel above others. The rich find it convenient to think they are better than the poor because it enhances their egos.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Spirituality & Mysticism