Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebeandip
mycelium
Male

A Tip For Anyone That Uses an All American or similar Metal on Metal Pressure Cooker
    #11362475 - 11/01/09 02:42 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

So I setup my AA cooker today to try a new experiment. I am running popcorn with rye berrys & coffee (RR recipe) so I figure the berries and coffee will get the thing started while the popcorn will provide some good coverage for a bulk grow.

So the pressure wasn't so good and it ended up taking me a lot longer to get the whole set done. I tighten those clamps down as hard as I can. I once made the mistake of using a clamp with a towel in it and it still snapped one of my locking knobs :frown: I also tore off the handle once trying to get the thing off.

Anyways I was about to do my next set of jars when I had a good idea. I soaked the lid in ice cold water and the thing dropped right in and I had an amazingly tight seal. One downside for me using this canner in the past was that as you kept using it the heat would expand making it more difficult to seal each time. Now it will seal EVEN BETTER the second time due to the outer layer being hot (expanded) and your nice cold lid will plop in and create a very tight seal.

I hope some of you can benefit from this simple idea that will save me a lot of time plus less chance of risking cooking the materials :mushroom2:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Loc: Gainesville, Florida, USA
Re: A Tip For Anyone That Uses an All American or similar Metal on Metal Pressure Cooker [Re: beandip]
    #11363511 - 11/01/09 05:41 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Metal on Metal

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

Seriously though, sounds like a great idea. Pretty impressive thought too :smile: good job *gives cookie*

--------------------
"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial..." Repo! The Genetic Opera

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so."
Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls
All will be made manifest
And the warriors of the ethereal
Will be our only defense"

~~altair~~

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: alized
Re: A Tip For Anyone That Uses an All American or similar Metal on Metal Pressure Cooker [Re: sgaltair]
    #11363582 - 11/01/09 05:51 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I've never heard of any such difficulty with an AA.  I have 70 year old Ball metal to metal and I might get an occasional "tss" for a half second, but no issues with holding pressure. I just hand tighten. You should lube the threads on the lid clamps. Vaseline is standard, but I find that a dry teflon lube works best [mine is an aerosol by Locktite]. It lasts longer than Vaseline.

--------------------
Cervantes' sclerotia thread    Citric's self-healing lid tek  Agar's Grain LC  Breaking Up Spawn Jars

World's Ugliest Cat?

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Cat Bowling

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A Tip For Anyone That Uses an All American or similar Metal on Metal Pressure Cooker [Re: myceleus_rex]
    #11363704 - 11/01/09 06:17 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

You want those things tighted to be snug, but you don't have to tighten THAT hard.

Every couple uses wipe the rim/edges down with mineral oil.

If you want to save time, preheat it while you're getting ready.

I put in fresh hot water then fire it up while I prep my jars.

Leave the valve open till you hear atleast 5-10 minutes of heavy steam coming out.  Then shut the valve.

Wait till it's up to sterilization temps/pressure and set the time for 60-90 minutes depending on what size jars. I do 90 for everything personally.

Once it's done, shut the heat off and allow to cool naturally.  My AA 75x instructions said to depressurize manually, but when I did that everything ended up getting contaminated so it definitely needs to sit in there for awhile even after it's done.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A Tip For Anyone That Uses an All American or similar Metal on Metal Pressure Cooker [Re: beandip]
    #11367614 - 11/02/09 10:11 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

beandip said:
I tighten those clamps down as hard as I can. I once made the mistake of using a clamp with a towel in it and it still snapped one of my locking knobs :frown: I also tore off the handle once trying to get the thing off.

Next time, use a bit of olive oil or Vaseline on the mating surfaces and barely tighten the wing nuts at all.  I go just until snug, then about 1/8 turn, but not tight.  No leaks.  AA pressure cookers are made for grandmas with weak, arthritic fingers to be able to use for canning.  If you're healthy and strong, don't even use 1/4 of your strength to tighten down the nuts, and certainly don't use tools.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBugs
Zenmaster
Male User Gallery

Re: A Tip For Anyone That Uses an All American or similar Metal on Metal Pressure Cooker [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11367893 - 11/02/09 11:31 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

"AA pressure cookers are made for grandmas with weak, arthritic fingers to be able to use for canning." Lmao

--------------------
Persuade thyself that imperfection and inconvenience are the natural lot of mortals, and there will be no room for discontent, neither for despair. Ieyasu Tokugawa

Offlinebeandip
mycelium
Male

Re: A Tip For Anyone That Uses an All American or similar Metal on Metal Pressure Cooker [Re: Bugs]
    #11371904 - 11/02/09 09:11 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Well thank you for the tips. Just still think this idea is worth sharing. I have locked the AA with max pressure and still had some leakage issues but soaking the lid resolved those issues.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation