Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBored
Wanting to learn
Male User Gallery
CACTI ID HELP(san pedro)
    #11360657 - 11/01/09 12:44 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Long time reader, first time poster.  My neighbor recently moved out and as he was I noticed some san pedro type cactus in the back and he was more then generous enough to let me take a cutting to grow as he was leaving it there.  So pretty  sure this isn't a san pedro as the spines r too long, but posibly peruvian, but unfortanetly believe it is t.cuzcoensis.. Anyone able to Id it by the pic.  Spines are white as are the areolas has 8 ribs.  Its looking like it has some rot or decay and will do my best to keep it alive and well once growing whether or not it has particular alkaloids.

--------------------
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention.
-Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Re: CACTI ID HELP(san pedro) [Re: Bored]
    #11360721 - 11/01/09 01:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm thinking T. peruvianus.

--------------------

OfflineBored
Wanting to learn
Male User Gallery
Re: CACTI ID HELP(san pedro) [Re: karode13]
    #11360809 - 11/01/09 01:33 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Alright well if this is the case then I might need to save the rest of the cactus as it has been left for dead and obviously hasnt been taken care of as the owner obviously doesnt know what a beautiful and wonderful cactus this is. There is over 6 feet in base and multiple pods. If a freind was interested a potency test what should he do about the rot or whatever it is taking place on the cactus?  "work" around it?

--------------------
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention.
-Aldous Huxley

OfflineCactii
Cactus Grower
 User Gallery

#11360903 - 11/01/09 03:03 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Its a beated up T. Cuzcoensis.

--------------------
T. Pachanoi cuttings for sale! PM me for more info.

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Re: CACTI ID HELP(san pedro) [Re: Cactii]
    #11360917 - 11/01/09 03:26 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I think you are right. I'm not a big follower of the columnars anyway, others will know for sure.

--------------------

OfflineCactii
Cactus Grower
 User Gallery

Re: CACTI ID HELP(san pedro) [Re: karode13]
    #11360993 - 11/01/09 04:51 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

A cuzco for comparison

--------------------

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

#11361022 - 11/01/09 05:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cactii said:

:thumbup:

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
Re: CACTI ID HELP(san pedro) [Re: drift]
    #11361594 - 11/01/09 09:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

drift said:
Quote:

Cactii said:

I would say so as well.
But,
after following the f'd up gene pool of the peruvianus/cuzco/pachanoi/bridgesii, it would not surprise me if this is indeed a peruvianus, or has peruvianus genetics, or is otherwise an "active" cactus.
I would say grab a few more cuttings, and if you are feeling up to it do an extract or eat a certain amount so you will know for sure. :tongue:

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
    #11361604 - 11/01/09 09:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Cactii said:

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

Re: CACTI ID HELP(san pedro) [Re: satyr]
    #11361729 - 11/01/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

satyr said:
Quote:

drift said:
Quote:

Cactii said:

I would say so as well.
But,
after following the f'd up gene pool of the peruvianus/cuzco/pachanoi/bridgesii, it would not surprise me if this is indeed a peruvianus, or has peruvianus genetics, or is otherwise an "active" cactus.
I would say grab a few more cuttings, and if you are feeling up to it do an extract or eat a certain amount so you will know for sure. :tongue:

Yup, it's really a shame how mixed the trich genepool is. There could definitely be some peruvianus in there, but from what I see, it's quite cuzco dominant. I guess the only way to know for sure would be the spines on the new growth.

InvisibleMycOhunter

Re: CACTI ID HELP(san pedro) [Re: drift]
    #11361884 - 11/01/09 10:43 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It also looks like a beat up Stetsonia coryne, my S. coryne has spines the exact same color as the OP's original pic, the spines change color when put in full sun, but look that color when not in full sun, or in dormancy.

--------------------
True Community:  The process of deep respect and true listening for the needs of the other people in this community.

OfflineBored
Wanting to learn
Male User Gallery
Re: CACTI ID HELP(san pedro) [Re: MycOhunter]
    #11362459 - 11/01/09 12:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Alright I apreciate everyones help.  Is taste going to be able to tell me or just have someone munch down an 8-12inch section to know for sure? will taste tell me anything?  the skin seems very weak and thin.

--------------------
-Hunter S. Thompson

-Aldous Huxley

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #11362590 - 11/01/09 01:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Bored said:
Alright I apreciate everyones help.  Is taste going to be able to tell me or just have someone munch down an 8-12inch section to know for sure? will taste tell me anything?  the skin seems very weak and thin.

I wouldn't eat any of that just yet.
If you can, get some more pics of the others. Upon further inspection of those areoles, I'm starting to suspect that that is a Stetsonia as well.
The dehydration and poor image quality made me first assume Trichosirius, but that thing is looking more and more coryne by the minute.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

OfflineBored
Wanting to learn
Male User Gallery
    #11365930 - 11/01/09 10:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here are some other I have been growing and started to grow around my house curious as to what you all think they are as I can only go by how they were marked. I appreciate your help.

--------------------
-Hunter S. Thompson

-Aldous Huxley

OfflineCactusdan
Patecatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #11366353 - 11/01/09 11:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I see Trichocereus Pachanoi, Pilosocereus Azureus, and Myrtillocactus Geometrizans.

--------------------

OfflineBored
Wanting to learn
Male User Gallery
Re: CACTI ID HELP(san pedro) [Re: Cactusdan]
    #11366373 - 11/01/09 11:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

the pachanoi would be the one on the top left correct, or top right also? and is that my only active out the bunch so far? I am looking to get more, so need to know which one to use as comparison. if one on top right is active does the browning on base affect potency?

--------------------
-Hunter S. Thompson

-Aldous Huxley

OfflineCactusdan
Patecatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #11366409 - 11/01/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yes it is your only one.

The one on the top right is a myrtillo and the browning is called corking, cacti tend to do it near there bases naturally and with age.

They do have some delicious fruits that appear on the areoles, but aside from that and grafting they have little use.

And hypothetically in the circumstance that these are not yours please ask before taking any cuttings as thieves are not looked well upon as many people care about those plants deeply and have put many many years into them, that'd be like someone stealing a puppy you had been rasing for 5 years or so.

Just a friendly word of advice :wink:

--------------------

OfflineCactii
Cactus Grower
 User Gallery

#11366423 - 11/01/09 11:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That pach looks thirsty.

--------------------

OfflineBored
Wanting to learn
Male User Gallery
    #11366447 - 11/01/09 11:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yeah not a problem, and thank you. they are all in my backyard and on the otherside of my backyard wall in a common area/wash.  I appreciate your comments not knowing as to whether or not take offense to them as stealing isn't my style.  But appreciate you saying such as I wouldnt like to wake up tomorrow to find these or my dog missing. Yeah its getting cold tho so trying to cut off water as last week nights have been 50s for some odd desert reason.

--------------------
-Hunter S. Thompson

-Aldous Huxley

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

#11366492 - 11/02/09 12:09 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The weather definitely has been odd.............

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck