Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

When to fruit this monotub? pictures
    #11361521 - 11/01/09 10:57 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hi everyone, its my first time doing monotub. I used 2 BRF cakes spawned to pasturised straight coir. Forgot the holes with polyfill, but pretty sure the substrate should have enuf air exchange where its in. Will try to include the holes when i put this tub in FC. The spawn has been in the coir for the 8th day now.

I took a photo 3 days ago and was pretty excited to see the progress

3 days later i took another photo, not sure if its just me or the mycelium doesnt seem to be growing. Not sure if anyone can tell from these photos.

I saw a bit of yellowish on some patches of mycelium

Should i be concern about this? Lastly, anyone able to estimate how many days before i should fruit this tub. I dont like the idea of opening the tub to check. Thks :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinerizingfire
Mycoticus psychoticus
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North-east USm'f'nA
Re: When to fruit this monotub? pictures [Re: carbonsteel]
    #11361527 - 11/01/09 11:01 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

really I would have left it covered for another day but it will fill in if you put it in the FC...it will be ok. Great work.

--------------------

Please check out the Classified for us.

Free Prints,Contests, Prizes... Go to www.Shroomotopia.com

You want to go to Shroomotopia.net
You need to go to Shroomotopia.net
You love Shroomotopia.net

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

Re: When to fruit this monotub? pictures [Re: rizingfire]
    #11361588 - 11/01/09 11:24 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I would love to cover it for just another day and fruit it. But what about those small patches uncolonized shown in the pics. I doubt it will be fully colonized in 1 day, or is this how a monotub work?

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #11361859 - 11/01/09 12:35 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

ive had coir not fluff up totally before, if i compare your pics precisely, it DOES grow just look.

to answer your question, from the last pic, id consider waiting a few more days then casing/fruiting it.

best of luck

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Invisibleprismism

#11361903 - 11/01/09 12:48 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

this is a classic example of what happens when you use brf pf cakes as spawn. a lot of times your bulk substrate will barely colonize at all. even without contamination.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

Re: When to fruit this monotub? pictures [Re: ohmatic]
    #11361918 - 11/01/09 12:52 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thks Ohmatic, i've read up on Ohmatic monotub. First time on straight coir and monotub. Thks for the suggestions. I will check up on it again in 5-6 days and post up pics to get more suggestions. Thks again ^^

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

Re: When to fruit this monotub? pictures [Re: prismism]
    #11361924 - 11/01/09 12:53 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Anything i can do about it now to salvage the situtation?

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11431165 - 11/11/09 05:47 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hi again guys! It has been about 9 days since i last took a pic of my monotub. I opened the tub and realise that certain minor parts are still barely colonized. But, as someone pointed out previously, the mycelium is definately still growing as seen on the side of the tub. I am now abit worried that the coir might be contaminated due to that the mycelium just doesnt seem to fully colonized certain part of the coir as shown in the pic below, or the only other conclusion i can sum up to is that there might not be enought water.

This pic is excatly 15 days from innoculating with BRF cakes. Which looks about the same when its 6 days from innoculating (other than the mycelium growing up the sides of the tub.)

This pic is immediately after it is cased with dry straws.

Other than the holes that were suppose to be on the side for FAE, any other pointers anyone might be willing to share with me?

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#11431282 - 11/11/09 06:57 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Fruit it.

Looking at your first pic and comparing it to the one you just posted shows a lot of growth.

The first pic has definite uncolonized patches. The last one is done.

Sometime myc is extremely thin and a lot of people post on here asking if they have cobweb when it grows like that.

It is growing up the walls like that because it is searching for more food.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

Re: When to fruit this monotub? pictures [Re: dancefloordale]
    #11431364 - 11/11/09 07:41 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Appreciate the prompt reply, i wanted to fruit it and i have just cased it 2 days ago and incubate the tub. I was planning another day after incubation before i put it in fruiting conditions. Or should i just put it in FC immediately?

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#11431510 - 11/11/09 08:46 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Good to go with your original plan.

Edit- though I have to say, I haven't seen a straw casing yet. Where did you get the idea?

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Edited by dancefloordale (11/11/09 08:47 AM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #11431540 - 11/11/09 09:11 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I dont understand the point of a casing layer using dry staw.

A casing layers purpose is to provide a microclimate benificail for pinning and to supply water.

Also, doesnt straw contaminate easily?

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinedeantheking
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: When to fruit this monotub? pictures [Re: veda_sticks]
    #11436200 - 11/11/09 09:37 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i dont get it either.  you should case with moist verm or verm and peat 50/50.

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11438940 - 11/12/09 08:42 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks again for the advice dancefloordale. I didnt get the idea of using dry straws, just that from where i am from, vermiculite is hard to come by. Thought of using perlite, but change my mind halfway thru as it doesnt look clean at all.

So i thought i improvise and see if any results, decent or otherwise can be achived. So far, chances are, that i am far from having good results, the small but consistant yields that i am getting are enough to sustain my needs and damn!! Jupiter, Mars sometimes the Moon will be playground of mine for more than a couple hours ^^

My hope now is to be able to achive bigger yields using tubs with materials that are accessable. I will be taking the tub outta incubation very soon, also couple more aluminium trays will be incubated soon. Once i master using mono tubs :crazy2::crazy2: i wont be needing these messy trays, BRF and hopefully perlite. Just WBS and coir, maybe abit used coffee grounds.

I will post the lastest pics for the tub after incubation. Again this is my first tub ever. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11438974 - 11/12/09 09:04 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yea guys, again from where i come from, even getting perlite for my projects posed abit of problem untill few months back.

I got tired of just sitting around waiting and figuring where to get what (prices on ebay with shipping are just way out of my league)

After i found perlite I started with whatever materials i have and comes along the way, , sticking to 'the original plan' as best as i can and with advices from members like dacefloordale, Doc etc i finally was able to get consistant results.

I had to admit, not having all the correct materials and knowledge wasnt easy, my first couple of tries was a total failure. Instead of the lovely Cubensis, i end up with Schizophyllum commune.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10271995

Thats was harsh. Waiting daily for 3 months and after pinning was when i realise it wasnt what i wanted LOL. After my spores arrive, i managed to learn using PF cakes casing to achieve yields enough for my needs.

These are the lastest casings, but i figure there is way less mess and maintenance with monotub.

Again, my first tub ever!! will come out of incubation in less than an hour. I will post some pics up in abit. Any advice will be nice.

Edited by carbonsteel (11/13/09 07:52 AM)

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11439415 - 11/12/09 11:30 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hi everyone ^^ The tub had just came out of incubation after 3 days. These are the lastest pics after casing post incubation.

The mycelium doesnt seem to have enter the casing as much as when im using PF cakes casing.

But i put it in fruiting conditions anyways. I will again post more pics on the progress of my first tub to report on its progress. Any comments or sugguestions will be happily accepted. Thanks

OfflineStusi
LabRat
    #11441269 - 11/12/09 04:29 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Was the straw dry when you applied it as a casing layer?  If so you messed up. Casing layer should provide moisture as was mentioned above so you should have HYDRATED TO FIELD CAPACITY before application.  That means let it soak for a few hours or simmer it for a bit (best because it will pasteurize it).  The straw should be cleaned SOME how not just applied directly.  Now as the myc grows onto it moisture will be pulled from your sub for colonization.  Just search straw and read about it... dry is a no-no.

--------------------
Palenque Monotub Grow

I'm looking for Agaricus blazei/subrufescens, will trade or purchase. PM me!

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

Re: When to fruit this monotub? pictures [Re: Stusi]
    #11446107 - 11/13/09 06:04 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the advise Stusi, had i messed up, chances are that my babies will not be growing and i wouldnt have been to the moon and back LOL

I usually soaked my dry straws for a day or two. Afterwhich, i sterilized instead of pasteurizing it, by then the dry straws are slightly moist. I will then proceed to use these dry straws by casing them and preparing for incubation. After casing and making sure that the casing is as flat as i can managed, i spray the casing heavily and wrap with aluminium foil. It is then incubated for 3 days before i put it in FC.

I tend to get pretty consistant results for casing dry straws + BRF cakes cased with dry straws, long as i dont "experiment" too much with the ingredients.

Each of the above casing comes from a fully colonized jar of this size shown below

I guess the downside is that the casing will get 3 flushes, the 4th if im very lucky before contamination occurs. Else, i am able to get most casings to fruit with the poor choice of materials that i have access to.

My yield for casing cakes is nothing close to what many members are getting on shroomery, thats something i am working very hard on to improve on now.

I am currently trying to master monotub for better yields, i have more distance stars & planets to visit!! A long journey to travel still!! Plenty of fuel for the trip will be nice :tongue2:

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11456141 - 11/14/09 09:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hi everyone, hi dancefloordale, i have questions regarding maintainance of the monotub. Just a quick recap, the monotub was inoculated on the 29th of Oct. It was put into fruiting conditions on the 13th of Nov. It is now 15th of Nov and I can see some primodia formation, not as much as i hope it would have turn out on my monotub.

I finally made holes on the sides and top of the tub, covering with micropore tape. It is left in my grown room which has a ventilation fan. I switch on the ventilation fan 2 to 3 times everyday for about 30 mins. So far, i have misted only twice when i see the surface of the casing drying alittle.

Is the microspore covered holes on the container sufficient for the casing? Anymore maintaince like manual fanning or misting i should include for the monotub to fruit like one? Thanks.

PS: I will post a pic of the monotub in few hours when the primodia formation are clearer and can be detected in a photo.

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11456603 - 11/14/09 11:26 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Day 2 in the fruiting chamber, i opened the sarin wrap took some photos lightly misted, gave it some fanning and covered back up.

Picture of the full tub

Close up for better visual on the knots

Again, should i even be doing that? Or should i just leave it alone? Thanks..

My lastest project ^^

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation