Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Microscope, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Eastern Missouri
Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new lifeform is blooming.
    #11360476 - 11/01/09 01:22 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

June 2k8 Cosmos article on a type of fungus that thrives within high ionizing radiation environments.  If you missed this awhile back, its worth taking a look at. Link below. 

Quote:

...very hardy fungi which researchers believe aren't just tolerating the severe radiation, but actually harnessing its energy to thrive.

"Our findings suggest that [the fungi] can capture the energy from radiation and transform it into other forms of energy that can be used for growth," said microbiologist Arturo Casadevall from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University in New York, USA.

Silent Spring

--------------------
Slowly learning from you, David Arora, and Paul Stamets

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineoptyks
Stoned Soliloquy

Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new lifeform is blooming. [Re: Greegus]
    #11375366 - 11/03/09 10:51 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Very interesting... There are so many things being discovered these days... Science FTW.

OfflineMonty-Driver
Quick Learner
Male

Loc: Nova Prospekt
Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new lifeform is bloom [Re: optyks]
    #11424653 - 11/10/09 10:07 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Indeed, so many more things we have yet to discover. You can't help but wonder what the future is going to be like at the rate we are going at. What's Chernobyl gonna be like 1000 years from now? What kind of changes can long-term radioactivity cause in the earth and the sorrounding flora and fauna? We can only wonder.

--------------------

:heart: The Community.

"I'm on my way to Hell.."
-Jesse Lacey, lead singer of Brand New

"If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed" -Terrance McKenna

B!G :thumbup:'s TO : dancefloordale, ChaosToOrder, and stonsun

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new lifeform is bloom [Re: Monty-Driver]
    #11429213 - 11/10/09 11:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Yep, really amazing.  I find it interesting because the extremophiles point towards life in much less hospitable environments than seen on Earth (typically).  I hope sometime soon we find remnants of life or life itself on Mars.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: California
Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new lifeform is bloom [Re: 5HTSynaptrip]
    #11430027 - 11/11/09 01:20 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

So, let me get this right, not only can we clean up almost every other part of the environment using various types of fungi, but we can also clean up man-made radiation? Damn. Paul Stamets was right, but not about that whole mycelium being conscious and intelligent thing..

I'd like to think some nice government contracts can come out of this for fungus to be used to clean up radiation. Governments have already contracted out to use fungus for other types of clean up. Why not radiation?

Offlineoptyks
Stoned Soliloquy

Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new lifeform is bloom [Re: 5HTSynaptrip]
    #11430096 - 11/11/09 01:32 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

5HTSynaptrip said:
Yep, really amazing.  I find it interesting because the extremophiles point towards life in much less hospitable environments than seen on Earth (typically).  I hope sometime soon we find remnants of life or life itself on Mars.

Mars is fairly unlikely to have life, or to have hosted life.

Currently, the moons of jupiter, Europa specifically, are the most likely places in the solar system to host life. The tidal flexing from jupiters gravitational pull keeps a [theoretical?] friction constant to keep liquid water under the ice surface, microbial life is, i think, extremely likely to live there. We see microscopic life living in nearly every single extreme on earth, thereofre it shouldnt seem too odd that it would thrive there.

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new lifeform is bloom [Re: optyks]
    #11433291 - 11/11/09 03:33 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Why would you think that Mars never had life?  Before the planet cooled and had its atmosphere stripped away it's climate wouldn't have been that bad.  We wouldn't be spending fortunes researching it if there were no chance life could have existed there.  The martian landscape alone seems evident that water was prolific there at one time.  It would also have been much warmer than Europa and more hospitable to life.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

Offlineoptyks
Stoned Soliloquy

#11433713 - 11/11/09 04:26 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry, i didn't realise what I wrote there.

It is highly likely that it has hosted life at some point in it's history, but probably not now. There is tons of evidence suggesting liquid water in the past.

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new life form is bloom [Re: optyks]
    #11435731 - 11/11/09 08:39 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It would be cool if we started seeding life onto various asteroids, planets, and other satellites.

Choose the proper extremophiles for whatever bodies you're seeding. 

Think if we took a chuck of Chernobyl's fuel let the fungi completely colonizes the chuck, then fire it at a passing asteroid. 

Odds are that it will pass too close to the sun and burn up or impact too hard and obliterate the fungi.  But the more we do it the better chance there will be of life popping up elsewhere in the universe. 

Think of hundreds of years from now and some sort of startrec'esk space exploration mission comes across a planet covered in fungal growth.  Thanks to our seeding future generations may come across a planet or body that they know for sure can sustain life, as it is already doing it.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offlineoptyks
Stoned Soliloquy

Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new life form is bloom [Re: Idiot]
    #11436557 - 11/11/09 10:13 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

haha interesting concept. I wouldnt be against it. Could cause cataclysmic or apocalyptic events on other planets that might already have life though!

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new life form is bloom [Re: optyks]
    #11437029 - 11/11/09 11:03 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

If an asteroid is on a path towards a planet already the plant it going to get hit ether by an asteroid, or an asteroid that is covered in fungi.

--------------------

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offlineoptyks
Stoned Soliloquy

Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new life form is bloom [Re: Idiot]
    #11438170 - 11/12/09 02:01 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Well, therein lies another problem. Life, as we know it needs an atmosphere. Based on that, an asteroid coming into contact with said body is either going to burn up in the atmosphere, destroying [potentially] all living things we put on it, it could violently explode (Dont remember the name of it, but the one that blew up over present day russia, then.. Soviet Union(?)in 1918, or thereabout), which would most likely kill everything on it (or spread the thing far and wide) or, finally, it would plummet into the planet surface. Again, given that the planet has an atmosphere, the impact would potentially kill most life on the planet already, or, again, destroy the parasite on the asteroid anyway.

Comets interacting with planetary bodies are extremely powerful objects.

On the other hand, should this fungus have no need for an atmosphere, and is able to readily live off the minerals and compounds in an asteroid at extreme temperatures while being self sufficient, i see no reason why it wouldnt work :shrug:

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

#11438304 - 11/12/09 02:55 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It can't hurt to spread life.

And we don't have to send fungi, we could just send a cocktail of life including fungi and bacteria and shit.  I don't know, I could conceptualize this all day, but like I say, we have the capabilities.

It could even solve other problems.

I heard they were developing atomic bomb drive that is basically just setting an atomic bomb off near a craft and detonating it to propel whatever is in the blast radius away from it.  It could be a productive way of getting rid of nuclear weapons.

--------------------

OfflineWasteland
Elektromeister!
Male User Gallery

Loc: A pathetic small town in ...
    #11440496 - 11/12/09 02:48 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

optyks said:
(Dont remember the name of it, but the one that blew up over present day russia, then.. Soviet Union(?)in 1918, or thereabout),

The Tunguska Event.

--------------------
CLICKY!!!
!
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:
http://superftmn.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new life form is bloo [Re: Idiot]
    #11459657 - 11/15/09 02:22 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Idiot said:
It would be cool if we started seeding life onto various asteroids, planets, and other satellites.

Choose the proper extremophiles for whatever bodies you're seeding. 

Think if we took a chuck of Chernobyl's fuel let the fungi completely colonizes the chuck, then fire it at a passing asteroid. 

Odds are that it will pass too close to the sun and burn up or impact too hard and obliterate the fungi.  But the more we do it the better chance there will be of life popping up elsewhere in the universe. 

Think of hundreds of years from now and some sort of startrec'esk space exploration mission comes across a planet covered in fungal growth.  Thanks to our seeding future generations may come across a planet or body that they know for sure can sustain life, as it is already doing it.

someone else already thought of that a few billion years ago :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleBender B Rodriguez
The Greatest
Male User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, CO
Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new life form is bloo [Re: rodfarva]
    #11532172 - 11/26/09 03:22 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

This is really cool.

Just shows how tough life can be.

This makes the existence of life elsewhere in the universe seem even more probable.

InvisibleBender B Rodriguez
The Greatest
Male User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, CO
    #11532239 - 11/26/09 03:35 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

optyks said:
Quote:

5HTSynaptrip said:

Mars is fairly unlikely to have life, or to have hosted life.

Currently, the moons of jupiter, Europa specifically, are the most likely places in the solar system to host life. The tidal flexing from jupiters gravitational pull keeps a [theoretical?] friction constant to keep liquid water under the ice surface, microbial life is, i think, extremely likely to live there. We see microscopic life living in nearly every single extreme on earth, thereofre it shouldnt seem too odd that it would thrive there.

Well this also depends if the life that lives in extreme environments on earth actually formed there or not.  If they did not form in those extremes and actually formed in more hospitable conditions then adapted to the extremes they were later on introduced to then we really should not neccessarily expect to find anything on Europa.  It has always been cold as hell there.

But, since we can't know how life formed exactly, I say "Off to Europa!"

Offlinehidenseek
loafter
Male

Loc: Etoba-mi-coke
    #11532995 - 11/26/09 06:18 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

optyks said:
haha interesting concept. I wouldnt be against it. Could cause cataclysmic or apocalyptic events on other planets that might already have life though!

on a lighter side the fungus may just take over and kill the natural flora

Offlinehidenseek
loafter
Male

Loc: Etoba-mi-coke
Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new life form is bloom [Re: hidenseek]
    #11533008 - 11/26/09 06:21 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20070422222547data_trunc_sys.shtml

And radiation-munching fungi could be on the menu for future space missions. "Since ionizing radiation is prevalent in outer space, astronauts might be able to rely on fungi as an inexhaustible food source on long missions or for colonizing other planets," noted Dadachova.

OfflineWasteland
Elektromeister!
Male User Gallery

Loc: A pathetic small town in ...
Re: Deep in the radioactive bowels of the smashed Chernobyl reactor, a strange new life form is bloom [Re: hidenseek]
    #11543132 - 11/28/09 03:54 PM (8 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

hidenseek said:
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20070422222547data_trunc_sys.shtml

And radiation-munching fungi could be on the menu for future space missions. "Since ionizing radiation is prevalent in outer space, astronauts might be able to rely on fungi as an inexhaustible food source on long missions or for colonizing other planets," noted Dadachova.

Huh.

With genetic engineering the fungus could probably be made to carry many nutrients in it's mushrooms.

ONCE AGAIN TRIPPERS ARE AHEAD OF THE CURVE IN ADVANCING MANKIND TO THE STARS!

--------------------
CLICKY!!!
!
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:
http://superftmn.deviantart.com/gallery/

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Microscope, Paul Stamets

General Interest >> Science and Technology