Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
**UPDATE** Company fined for mushrooms....[CA]
    #11360338 - 11/01/09 12:41 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

October 31st 09 - North County Times

SAN DIEGO ---- A San Marcos company and its president and co-owner were sentenced today for conspiring to import fresh mushrooms from Japan to avoid U.S. Customs duty and falsely labeling the imported mushrooms.

Golden Gourmet Mushrooms Inc. was ordered by U.S. District Judge Janis Sammartino to pay a fine of $460,000, plus restitution of about $546,760 to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Company executive Craig Robert Anderson of Rancho Santa Fe was sentenced to 13 months in prison, followed by a year of home detention.

Anderson, 57, and the company pleaded guilty on June 3.

Prosecutors said the scheme, which continued from May 2005 through August 2007, involved submitting an invoice for a lower price to U.S. Customs to avoid payment of duty, while using the true invoice with the higher price for the transaction between the parties.

Edited by Twiztidsage (11/01/09 02:11 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebeandip
mycelium
Male

Re: Company fined for mushrooms....[CA] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11361571 - 11/01/09 11:17 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Just my thoughts but why not put that many into some grow equipment instead lol. Sucks for them

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Company fined for mushrooms....[CA] [Re: beandip]
    #11362329 - 11/01/09 02:12 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Sign on San Diego

The president of a San Marcos mushroom-importing company has been sentenced to 13 months in prison after pleading guilty to evading customs duties on the mushrooms his firm imported from Japan.

Craig Robert Anderson, president of Golden Gourmet Mushrooms Inc., was also ordered Friday to pay a $6,000 fine and serve a year of home detention after his time in custody. The company was also found guilty and fined $460,000, and must pay restitution of $546,757 to U.S. Customs.

Anderson, 57, a Rancho Santa Fe resident, pleaded guilty in June to using dual invoices to avoid customs duty when his company imported fresh mushrooms from Japan.

Between May 2005 and August 2007, the company submitted invoices for lower prices to customs agents while using a higher price for business transactions, prosecutors said. The company also falsely labeled imported mushrooms as products of the United States, authorities said.

Tadao Yamamoto, 53, a San Marcos resident who worked for a Japanese supplier to Golden Gourmet Mushrooms, was sentenced Oct. 16 to a year of probation and a $1,000 fine after pleading guilty to submitting dual invoices. Yamamoto initially worked in Japan, then from December 2006 out of an office at Golden Gourmet Mushrooms.

Another defendant, Kazuo Maenishi, was sentenced to a year of probation and a $1,000 fine. Maenishi, 38, a resident of Japan, admitted in July that he falsely labeled the mushrooms as coming from the United States.

Steven Farrar, a former chief operating officer of the company, pleaded guilty in June to illegal exportation of merchandise in connection with another plan to export mushroom-cultivation equipment to Spain in 2006. Farrar, 57, a Vista resident, is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 13.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Re: Company fined for mushrooms....[CA] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11367128 - 11/02/09 05:15 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Oh shit.

That is really disturbing...  3 years ago a friend of mine in the San Diego Mycological Society had spoke with me requesting advice regarding this company and the products they produce and sell.  I guess he had become friends with the owner of Golden Gourmet, and was trying to help him connect with some of the other mushroom enthusiasts in the area, as a means of distributing their culinary products.  I was given a bag of one of King Oyster products in order to see what potential recipe applications I might find from working with it.  I never found a really good way to use the stuff, though.  Then I moved North, and haven't thought much of it since... 

It is really sad to hear that the business was so unsuccessful that they resorted to this.  Bummer.  :sad:

--------------------

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: Company fined for mushrooms....[CA] [Re: CureCat]
    #11368037 - 11/02/09 12:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Someone was just locked in a cage because they didn't successfully pay-off the relevant armed thugs.  In addition, for attempting to circumvent their extortion payments, they have been mandated to surrender 1.1 million dollars on top of the money they were initially being extorted for.

Great.

--------------------

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Company fined for mushrooms....[CA] [Re: Humility]
    #11368882 - 11/02/09 02:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

13 months sure seems like a long time for a monetary crime.

Bummer is right.

Invisiblelipa

Re: Company fined for mushrooms....[CA] [Re: CureCat]
    #11369052 - 11/02/09 02:53 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I like Steve Farrar and he is a nice guy. I don't like Golden Gourmet mushrooms and how they operate. Take your mushrooms and your Wal Mart mushroom crap back to Japan. I'd rather buy locally grown produce produced by local people who sell their product for more money.

Lipa

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Company fined for mushrooms....[CA] [Re: lipa]
    #11372515 - 11/02/09 10:35 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I bet he's now thanking.Damn, it would have been cheaper to just pay the tax....:facepalm:

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service