Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Safe disposal of contaminated substrate?
    #11359590 - 10/31/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've got a small coir tub that almost immediately grew over with green - the substrate was never really colonized by the mushroom mycelium because the mold grew so fast.

What's the safest way to dispose of my moldy dirt? I live in the city and don't want to just dump it outside.

I did a bit of searching and the only idea I found that seemed useful came from an old post by Roadkill where he talks about throwing contaminated jars into a big tub of bleach water. I was thinking I could just take the entire tub, lid on and everything as to best contain the mold spores, and lower it into a bigger tub of bleach water. What would be an ideal concentration of bleach for this use?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: Safe disposal of contaminated substrate? [Re: freespeech]
    #11359621 - 10/31/09 07:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

10% bleech

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11359661 - 10/31/09 07:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

freespeech said:
I live in the city and don't want to just dump it outside.

You're going to need to come up with some sort of long-term solution to this problem.
Is there a vacant lot you can dump tubs into?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineLucienis
Learning Permit
Re: Safe disposal of contaminated substrate? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11359700 - 10/31/09 07:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

garbage bag and out with the garbage?

Offlinesecondhand
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11359768 - 10/31/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

However you dispose of it, try not to open it indoors. It will only spread the mold indoors.

OfflineLadyLittleZeppelin
Stoner
Female User Gallery

Re: Safe disposal of contaminated substrate? [Re: secondhand]
    #11359793 - 10/31/09 08:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Eh not a good idea in the city. Cops rummage through that stuff. How do you think they got the name pig? :wink:

--------------------
SHROOMS MAKE YOU GAY
~
Crystal G said:
  its cuzzzzzz i giiiiiive a meeeeean blooooowjjjobbbb.

OfflineLucienis
Learning Permit
Re: Safe disposal of contaminated substrate? [Re: LadyLittleZeppelin]
    #11359808 - 10/31/09 08:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

LadyLittleZeppelin said:
Quote:

Eh not a good idea in the city. Cops rummage through that stuff. How do you think they got the name pig? :wink:

If you already have given them reason enough to be looking through your garbage, methinks you have more problems to worry about than contam in your tubs...
Maybe mix in some kitty litter with it (used would be best...) or feces or something to make them think twice about opening it. Or drop it straight off at the waste processing facility and leave no room for meddling.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#11359818 - 10/31/09 08:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

freespeech said:
I live in the city and don't want to just dump it outside.

You're going to need to come up with some sort of long-term solution to this problem.
Is there a vacant lot you can dump tubs into?

Actually disposing of it is not a problem - I'll bag it and put it in someone else's dumpster. What I want to know is, how can I minimize the spread of contaminant spores? Even if I dump the substrate into a bag outside, I'll still probably get mold spores all over my clothes and in my lungs, and I'll also still have to bring the empty tub back inside to clean and disinfect it, spreading more spores everywhere I go. So, what I want to do is kill as much of the life that's in the tub as is possible to minimize my own exposure to contaminants BEFORE disposing of it. My original post could have been more clear in this regard.

OfflineLucienis
Learning Permit
    #11359832 - 10/31/09 08:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Throw the entire tub into a bag and toss it out. The tubs are only a few bucks are NOT worth the risk of spores in your lungs or in your house...
It would cost just as much or more to buy bleach than to buy a new tub...

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: Safe disposal of contaminated substrate? [Re: Lucienis]
    #11359839 - 10/31/09 08:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Lucienis said:
Throw the entire tub into a bag and toss it out. The tubs are only a few bucks are NOT worth the risk of spores in your lungs or in your house...

What you propose is terribly wasteful and expensive. Bleach is extremely cheap. I was also looking for other ideas besides bleach.

OfflineLucienis
Learning Permit
    #11359850 - 10/31/09 08:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

freespeech said:
Quote:

Lucienis said:

What you propose is terribly wasteful and expensive. Bleach is extremely cheap. I was also looking for other ideas besides bleach.

And the safest way to continue your hobby and life.
Contaminated tubs aren't something you should be dealing with too often in the future anyways, so it's not like every grow you get new tubs. A new tub costs maybe $5 at the upper end of things, and bleach costs what, $10 for a decent size jug? They probably use up close to the same amount of molded plastic, while bleach also has a fairly extensive chemical manufacturing process that the plastic does not so both are relatively equal on terms of waste produced.

Also, besides throwing it out and bleach, there are few to no other ways of getting rid of spores. Short of possible UV sterilization which is even harder to work with an amateur, spores are very resistant things, and large plastic tubs are not the easiest thing in the world to work with.

Suck it up, throw it all out. Get a new tub and save your self the agony of having every single tub from here on out go green because you get stingy and tried to save it. Everyone here seems to argue that it's not worth it trying to save cakes or subs that go under because it's much safer and easier to start over, why would it be different for tubs that are spore ridden?

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: alized
    #11359856 - 10/31/09 08:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If by  "bag it" you mean pour the contents in a bag, you should do that outside. In any case, pour a bunch of bleach in it first and let it sit a day. It will kill everything. Safest bet is toss the tub, especially if you can't work outside to clean it.  You don't want to inhale the spores, it's not just an issue of contaminating future grows.

--------------------
Cervantes' sclerotia thread    Citric's self-healing lid tek  Agar's Grain LC  Breaking Up Spawn Jars

World's Ugliest Cat?

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: Safe disposal of contaminated substrate? [Re: myceleus_rex]
    #11359859 - 10/31/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

myceleus_rex said:
You don't want to inhale the spores, it's not just an issue of contaminating future grows.

Hence the reason for the thread, reflecting my caution in approaching this issue.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#11359868 - 10/31/09 08:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Lucienis said:
Suck it up, throw it all out. Get a new tub and save your self the agony of having every single tub from here on out go green because you get stingy and tried to save it. Everyone here seems to argue that it's not worth it trying to save cakes or subs that go under because it's much safer and easier to start over, why would it be different for tubs that are spore ridden?

I do agree that there is no need to take chances with health, and I will probably end up tossing the tub as you recommend, especially since I have so many of them.  :chugbeer:

OfflineLucienis
Learning Permit
    #11359879 - 10/31/09 08:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

freespeech said:
Quote:

Lucienis said:

I do agree that there is no need to take chances with health, and I will probably end up tossing the tub as you recommend, especially since I have so many of them.  :chugbeer:

:smile: I didn't mean to come off as rude or an asshole ^.^', just that spores are nasty nasty things to have in ones lungs, and it really is the easiest, safest and arguably the cheapest way to move forward...

As for long term ideas? Don't let tubs get contaminated? I mean... from what I read, Coir is pretty hard to contam at all, yet yours went really quickly. I'd also do some looking into why that might have happened...

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#11359888 - 10/31/09 08:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Lucienis said:
:smile: I didn't mean to come off as rude or an asshole ^.^', just that spores are nasty nasty things to have in ones lungs, and it really is the easiest, safest and arguably the cheapest way to move forward...

As for long term ideas? Don't let tubs get contaminated? I mean... from what I read, Coir is pretty hard to contam at all, yet yours went really quickly. I'd also do some looking into why that might have happened...

I thought that the fact that I created this thread in the first place would spare me all the "oooh you don't want to breathe in spores" jive. If I didn't care about breathing in spores, I'd just go dump the tub out somewhere.

And yeah, I don't know what happened with this tub. I've not had one go south like this before.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#11359893 - 10/31/09 08:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the input so far everybody!

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11359901 - 10/31/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I live in the city as well..  But all I do is throw it away in a garbage bin.  Just put it in a bag by itself with nothing else in it.  As long as you don't put like a bill with your name and address in the bag with the substrate, how do they know where it came from ?

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Safe disposal of contaminated substrate? [Re: Damion5050]
    #11360007 - 10/31/09 09:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
As long as you don't put like a bill with your name and address in the bag with the substrate, how do they know where it came from ?

Spore analysis. 'They' grow strains of contams like we grow strains of cubensis, and then release tainted prints into the community. :tinfoil:

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #11360058 - 10/31/09 09:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Respirator, $30 -> http://www.amazon.com/MSA-Safety-Works-817663-Multi-Purpose/dp/B00009363G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1257045534&sr=8-1

Get a sufficient sterilizing liquid.  Like 10% bleach or similar (hardware store sells a few different hospital grade cleaners that work just as well).

max up a bottle of that, load up the mask and spray that sucker down good and let it sit.  Once it's all dead and wet so you dont have a bunch of airborne shit, dump/scrape it out into a heavy duty trash bag and dispose of it.

Personally, I just take the tubs and dump them in the woods or around my flower beds/garden, makes great compost.   

I let the tubs sit out in the driveway for awhile (weeks) then clean/re-sterilize when I need them.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale