Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWonderlust
WXZ?
How do you "even out" colonizing jars?
    #1135588 - 12/12/02 12:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I have twelve jars in my incubator in various states of colonization - some are almost all the way, other ones are seriously laggin'. Is there a way to get the ones that are ahead to slow down? Is it okay to just move my heating pad so that those jars that are pretty colonized are cooler, or will they start pinning if I do that?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemlv
Stranger
Re: How do you "even out" colonizing jars? [Re: Wonderlust]
    #1135597 - 12/12/02 12:38 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

keep the jars that are almost done out of light and they shouldnt pin early.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1135661 - 12/12/02 01:04 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Could you describe your incubator set up? Heating pads can be unpredictable and will often mess up jars by heating some parts too much and not getting to other parts at all. That sounds like part of your problem....

Another thing you can try if your pretty confident your not living in contam land (which is hard this time of year as you probably live in a gigantic petri dish being in a heated, closed environment) is to unscrew the lids and allow for some air exchange. This can often be a good kick to get myc growing....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineWonderlust
WXZ?
Re: How do you "even out" colonizing jars? [Re: upupup]
    #1135690 - 12/12/02 01:17 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

My incubator is a big Rubbermaid bin sitting on a large heating pad on the floor and covered with two blankets. The heating pad is jumbo and covers most of the bottom of the bin.

Once a day I open the thing and fan it. I have a thermometer/humidity gauge inside and I'm keeping it between 78-85 degrees F and about 60-70% humidity.

I did lysol the hell out of the inside of it before I set it up, if that means anything, but I'm scared to open the jar before I know there are healthy mycelies in there.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1135887 - 12/12/02 02:31 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

How long have your jars been in your incubator?

Humidity isn't real important with an incubator doing PF tek. Where in your tub are you getting your temp readings? You should try to check the bottom of the tub and see if the temp is much different down there.

It sound fine though but again, with heating pads, temps can vary. One way to deal with this is to rotate the position of your jars if you think that uneven heating might be a problem....fish tank heaters in water provide a much more uniform heat source....

Why are you fanning it? Colonizing PF jars don't need any fanning at the vegiative state since there is no air being exchanged....unless you open the lids....

You don't need to take the lids clean off, just open them up a bit and just have the lid resting on top of the jar. If you did everthing OK your top layer of verm will do it's job as a layer of contam defense and you will more than likely be fine.

The other thing I am thinking is that you may have bacterial contams. It can be rampant this time of year but you won't see anything except no myc growth. You will however smell it if you do open your lids and in fact, that might be the best reason of all to open them...smells like tangy, dirty socks....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Offlinedog man
biologicallyengineered

Re: How do you "even out" colonizing jars? [Re: upupup]
    #1136688 - 12/12/02 07:02 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

>>smells like tangy, dirty socks...<<

lol, very accurate description- i just encountered that myself.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom