Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Pink Floyd

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
ignorant people
    #1135737 - 12/12/02 03:33 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i just had a converstion with my father, who in my opinion, is the most ignorant person I know when it comes to politics, spirituality, and religion. I won't rant on about the details of our conversation, but i will tell you that he thinks whatever George Bush says is true, that the U.S. should go bomb and take over each country in the middle east to get rid of terrorism, he doesn't mind police having more authority than they need to (even if it infringes on our constitutional rights), his favourite channel on TV is CNN, and about Spirituality/Religion well, i won't even go there right now. So he has different points of view and opinions than I do, and that's fine, but here's the piss off: He won't even listen to my point of view (or anybody elses for that matter) and is convinced his point of view is the only and correct one. After our conversation got a little heated I told him "you are the most ignorant person I know" and left to my room before i got angry. Then my mom told him "you know, u should at least listen to what he has to say.." and he cut her off and told her "i don't wanna hear his bullshit". Anyway..nuff about me, here's my question, do you know anyone who is really ignorant and closed minded? Do you still try to talk to them about certain things or should you just give up and let them be?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
Re: ignorant people [Re: chodamunky]
    #1135759 - 12/12/02 03:40 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

my mom is the same way...won't listen to anything i have to say about anything.
i kinda get upset about it sometimes. but i try not to let it get to me.
all i can hope it that i never get like that.

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1135762 - 12/12/02 03:42 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Old people.

I dunno man... If they dont want to listen theyre really not going to.. I think some people are extremely distant from open-minded communication. Terrified of being wrong.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1135779 - 12/12/02 03:49 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Your father sounds like a conservative. Think about that word for a moment. The agenda of someone who is a conservative is to cling TIGHTLY to past ideas regardless of that ideas/ideologies merrit.

For me I have totally given up trying to convince anybody of anything but my favorite thing is to use Jesus as an example. Most conservatives are christians. Jesus happily laoded the bible with all kinds of ammo that Christian just can't argue with.

Is your dad christian? Next time he says something about being violent on Christs cousins just remind him in a very gentle voice that Christ was a man of love, not war..... :tongue:

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Re: ignorant people [Re: upupup]
    #1135844 - 12/12/02 04:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

yea he is christian, but not exreme fundamentalist or anything. I personally don't belive in christianity and told him i don't wanna celebrate christams this year by buying useless things for each other. He freaked out and was like "this is my house, and as long as yer living here we're gonna celebrate CHRISTMAS and buy presents!" gotta love that X-mas spirit :laugh: 

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1135863 - 12/12/02 04:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

LOL. Get him an enema bag.....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ...
    #1135869 - 12/12/02 04:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well...
If they claim to be open minded, which I meet allot of close-minded/ignorant people who some how convince themselves that there open-minded cause it sounds good.
I know this girl that says she is a free spirit, and that she is the most open minded person I'll ever meet, well this girl just about freaked when I said I smoked weed,
She said, "I wont have anything to do with people that do that stuff". I laughed, and then I asked her if she drank? She said she did and said, "you need to drink to have fun", and I replied with "Well I don?t drink".
Yet, I hold nothing against people that drink, and found it so narrow headed of her to say that you need to drink to have fun.
I tried to ask her why she thinks that she cannot have anything to do with people that do weed, that it's not the weed that makes the person, she didn?t really give me a straight answer all she said was "I have been in abusive relationships in the past, and I cant have that in my life right now".
I found that to be extremely ignorant and the fact that she drinks makes it seem even worse.
I also asked her what her idea of being open minded was, and all she said was
"It means being open to all religions, music and spirituality".
I told her to look up shamanism, and do a little more studying.
I know it's funny how people can be so ignorant and close minded.
I think you just have to give it a shot and try and help them to open their mind, and if they are still stubborn they will probably never be able to see past the the influenced nose of the media.  :smirk:

--------------------
Listen, or your tongue will keep you deaf. :wink:
ŦēҜй? - ??ĜįĈ?? ҒűČҝĮńĜ ?đVǻŃčЄмЄńŦ

OfflineLeviathon
tripped andtested

Loc: Over the hills and throug...
Re: ignorant people [Re: Grav]
    #1136700 - 12/12/02 09:08 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

Terrified of being wrong

Exactly! If they allow themselvse to doubt themselvse then they could be wrong about something they believe then that means they could be wrong about everything else and their reality crumbles before them leaving them confused and feeling small and weak. I have been through this before so I understand why people are so stubborn about accepting new ideas even to the point of going into a blind rage and starting a fight(or war). It's a pretty scary thing to go through and I think the reason it is so frightening is because of man's need to label everything and understand it. Because what you can not understand or know nothing about is, more often than not, scary(example: a childs fear of the dark, which is ''the unknown'' in this case). Its not always easy to be open minded but you sure learn alot more in being so.

--------------------
You can not recieve with hands already full.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: ignorant people [Re: Leviathon]
    #1136720 - 12/12/02 09:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1136758 - 12/12/02 09:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Dude everybody's ignorant..

There are just a shitload of people who haven't figured that out yet about either other people or themselves.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1136780 - 12/12/02 09:52 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Most of these things like this boil down to greed.

Think about it- there is also such thing as emotional greed.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
    #1136845 - 12/12/02 11:11 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Choda: Sorry to hear that your father is one of "them." If it makes you feel any better, he'll die some day and then he won't be able to vote anymore.

Anonymous

#1136856 - 12/12/02 11:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

that really sucks man. the world, esp the US if full of people who are insanely ignorant like that. i would be really out of my mind if my parents were some of them.

Anonymous

#1136923 - 12/13/02 12:02 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You see that red emoticon in your first post?  To answer your question, I let them be.

They are happier that way and so am I.  :smile:

Good luck with Dad.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #1137220 - 12/13/02 03:55 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I think part of it may be that your father is to afraid to believe the truth. People desperatly WANT to believe that the system is working, that they are not being lied to, etc.

They would rather guard this illusion closely than admit that stuff's buggered

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Re: ignorant people [Re: carbonhoots]
    #1137703 - 12/13/02 07:51 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

People desperatly WANT to believe that the system is working, that they are not being lied to, etc.

That is a great point, before my dad came to Canada, he was living in Poland, when it was still a communist country basically owned by the Russians. Now THAT was a government and society that was totally fucked up, and now that we live in North America, a democratic continent, he doesn't wanna believe that it too could be corrupt.

thx for your replies everyone!  :smile:

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: ignorant people [Re: TeKn0]
    #1139060 - 12/13/02 03:58 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

It irks me too when people claim theyre "open-minded" when theyre really full of shit...

especially when one of those people is a good friend, and you dont want to see him selling himself short... but, as Mr. Mush said, is it better to just leave them be? or is it your duty to try and pry their lid open a little bit?

im talking about those "open-minds" that end up being nothing but elitists who think their sense of spirituality far surpasses everyone elses... Like they have all the answers cuz they listen to Pink Floyd, and piss on the government and society when they actually have no fuckin clue how anything works... and they dont care to find out, cuz they are happy on their little ego trip.
they arent just ignorant... they have this included false sense of being totally and completely non-ignorant...

Like this isn't my own ego trip...???
Fuck, who is anyone to judge? Is there some point where you just have to trust that your thoughts are unbiased?

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
    #1142261 - 12/15/02 06:12 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

My mom is also just like that...  it's greatly effecting the upbringing my little brothers are getting.  I've tried arguing, and my dad's gone through more hell than I can understand, but when it comes down to it, the best way I've found to deal with people like that are by looking them square in the eye and saying "I can't talk to someone like you" and just ending it there.  Don't try to explain yourself, and let them attack you all they want - give them time to think about what they've said that's caused you such anger, and then try again. If that doesn't work, just shake your head and laugh.  Don't worry - you'll meet plenty of people that will share your point of view.  When those kind of people come together, you can create a cult and rule all those fuggin' american's that ruin it for the rest of the world :wink:

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

OfflineSnuffelzFurever
Psychonaut

Loc: Miami, florida
    #1142543 - 12/15/02 08:47 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

imagine growing up your whole life thinking of something, and your son, whose lived not as long as you, proves you wrong with shit that makes more sense. the way a human's ego works is by setting up a self-defense system that rejects everything else contrary to what you think. you can only learn when your ego is not there. even if YOU know what yer son is saying, your ego has become some big and nasty from life and society and bullshit that it overwhelms you, and wont allow you to admit your mistakes.
a person with the need to preach beliefs either believes god wills him to preach, or needs to reassure himself. sounds like your dad is the second one.

--------------------
"I think it's time we stop
Children, What's the sound,
Everybody look what's going down"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Pink Floyd

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology