Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery

Utilizing the Alfalfa plenty?
    #11351995 - 10/30/09 03:29 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

"a little wheat straw is around but alfalfa (to rich for bulk) is here plenty,  for the western horsemen....
therefore lots of horse boo boo though. thx Imorph "

dear fungal gang,

after having posted a query about Hpoo and composting in a previous post, i said that there was lots of alfalfa in most of the "feed and tack" stores here.

Any comments on using sterilized Alfalfa maybe with a little grain, as colonized spawn media for bulk ?
i understand that under non sterile conditions it has an affinity for contams.    anyone go ahead,Imorph

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Utilizing the Alfalfa plenty? [Re: Imorph]
    #11361714 - 11/01/09 11:52 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I think that ought to work, but surely plain grain is better, less chance of contaminated spawn?

For your bulk why not composted hpoo with alfalfa?

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Utilizing the Alfalfa plenty? [Re: solumvita]
    #11365065 - 11/01/09 09:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

compost Hpoo with Alfalfa ?  would that be a heavy hot composting or just a medium elevation in temps? if you are very complete in composting don't you get something rich soil-like or nearly humus?

i remember you saying something about using Alfalfa a while back in bulk, you have tried this already?  does the Alfalfa composted in with Hpoo add more food for the fungi?

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #11366897 - 11/02/09 04:08 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yes I am using alfalfa in my bulk logs and it works really well.  the alfalfa increase the nitrogen and protein level in the substrate.

I am not sure about composting, I do not use it for oysters it seems like an extra step for no real benefit.  But one of these days I will look into it in some detail.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery

#11367276 - 11/02/09 06:38 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

just a few more questions solumvita...what species of fungus are you using with the composted Alfalfa ?  does that work as bulk for V.volvacea ?? 

when you compost Hpoo and Alfalfa do you just keep composting until there is no ammonia smell or farther toward something like a rich humus ? what are the rough ratios of Hpoo to Alfalfa  when you compost?

yes i would agree Pleurotus eats all with just a bit of pasteurization.

Offlineurbanfarmer
l'estranger
    #11367381 - 11/02/09 08:06 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Have you tried 50/50 sawdust/alfalfa?  I have 4 species growing on test bags of that.

InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Utilizing the Alfalfa plenty? [Re: urbanfarmer]
    #11368687 - 11/02/09 01:58 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

thx for input Urbanfarmer...i haven't tried sawdust or alfalfa at all.
i live in a area where there is not a lot of trees(lumbering) and woodworking . although i am sure someone is making cabinets or raw

woodworking somewhere in the city. i have been talking to workers from a major tree cutting company, that clear tree branches from the utility lines into homes. they showed me a area where i could look for shredded material after it was dumped. the problem with that is sometimes there

is "Oleander" (poisonous!) and Salt Cedar (salt toxicity! ) plants shred-dings some times mixed in ? i can recognize both of those living plants  on sight (LOTS) but shredded? ...am not sure if growing mycelia would significantly uptake Oleander poisons ?...but the Salt Cedar salts could be leached out.

i had hope to work with Hpoo because there are ppl with horses around...and plenty of alfalfa. i had hope to be able to compost/age  then pasteurize it in a drum for bulk.
your 50/50 sawdust and alfalfa mix, is this bulk and do you compost or sterilize it?
what are your 4 varieties ? Imorph

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #11368828 - 11/02/09 02:24 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Imorph said:
what species of fungus are you using with the composted Alfalfa ?  does that work as bulk for V.volvacea ?? 

oysters and soon i will try some reishi
I have not tried with paddy straw yet

Quote:

Imorph said:
when you compost Hpoo and Alfalfa do you just keep composting until there is no ammonia smell or farther toward something like a rich humus ? what are the rough ratios of Hpoo to Alfalfa  when you compost?

I would compost until you have the hpoo properly soft and then ventilate to reduce the ammonia

I have not composted those two, it was merely a suggestion, but if i did i would go with 80% hpoo and 20% alfalfa.

--------------------

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11376069 - 11/03/09 12:53 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I'd recommend to look into composting guidelines and consider the carbon/nitrogen ratio. Both Manure and alfalfa are too high in nitrogen, so during composting a lot will just evaporate as ammonia and also the PH may rise too much and drive off even more nitrogen.

For Agaricus species, I start composting with a C/N ratio about 25:1, for Oysters 50:1 should be a good starting point. Like Urbanfarmer suggested, I'd mix in at least 50% wood chips, 75% straw or something similar.

Though it depends on the time, when the alfalfa has been cut and dried. I have pellets, which have been processed right before bloom with a maximum of nitrogen. Autumn hay may contain much less.

Carsten

InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Utilizing the Alfalfa plenty? [Re: Mycelio]
    #11381563 - 11/04/09 05:07 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

thx Mycelio and everyone who gave tips. i ll also look at TMC in detail for composting essentials. out all contams, Imorph

Offlineurbanfarmer
l'estranger
    #11381958 - 11/04/09 08:59 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Just to note, I'm not composting alfalfa, just using it as a N boost and texture enhancer in sterilized sawdust blocks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms