Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
State warns against wild mushroom eating.....[CA]
    #11351155 - 10/30/09 01:14 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

OCtober 30th 2009 - LAist

In their annual warning to the public, the California Department of Public Health wanted to remind Californians "that collecting and eating wild mushrooms can cause serious illness and even death." Oddly enough, the message was sent today, the day before Halloween, but officials over the phone say there was no rhyme or reason to the warning's timing.

Nevertheless, the department says that 894 cases of mushroom ingestion were reported statewide in 2008. Here's the breakdown:

-499 were children under six years of age and usually involved eating a small amount of a mushroom the child found growing in a backyard;
-358 individuals were treated at a health care facility;
-72 had a moderate health effect, such as diarrhea severe enough to require intravenous fluids;
-17 were admitted to the intensive care unit;
-Five had a major health outcome, such as liver failure leading to coma, liver transplant or renal failure requiring dialysis;
-One died (a man also died this year in Santa Barbara after eating a mushroom picked in a park)

The deadly mushrooms include varieties Amanita ocreata, or destroying angel, and Amanita phalloides, or death cap. They're usually found during fall, late winter and spring, but in some areas, can be seen year round.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCosmicLion
Organical
 User Gallery

Re: State warns against wild mushroom eating.....[CA] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11351187 - 10/30/09 01:21 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Twiztidsage said:
The deadly mushrooms include varieties Amanita ocreata, or destroying angel, and Amanita phalloides, or death cap. They're usually found during fall, late winter and spring, but in some areas, can be seen year round.

Man it's hard to believe people are still dying from these things.... you think they would learn by now not to pick Death Angels.

--------------------
:peace:    :peace:

Earth's Essence

Invisiblemrblonde
Agnostic Evangalist

Re: State warns against wild mushroom eating.....[CA] [Re: CosmicLion]
    #11351415 - 10/30/09 02:05 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicLion said:
Quote:

Twiztidsage said:

Man it's hard to believe people are still dying from these things.... you think they would learn by now not to pick Death Angels.

Most of the people that die from eating those are from Southeast Asia.  The Straw Mushrooms that they have back home looks a lot like a Destroying Angel.

InvisiblePolk_Audio3
"Swisher Sweets"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: State warns against wild mushroom eating.....[CA] [Re: mrblonde]
    #11351619 - 10/30/09 02:35 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I have never heard of Death angels don't sound go sweet. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinewhrsthespirit
Stranger

Re: State warns against wild mushroom eating.....[CA] [Re: CosmicLion]
    #11357255 - 10/31/09 02:23 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Wow i had no idea how many people assume and eat instead of checking first or they checked and it was a close similar

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: State warns against wild mushroom eating.....[CA] [Re: whrsthespirit]
    #11357397 - 10/31/09 02:50 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

whrsthespirit said:
Wow i had no idea how many people assume and eat instead of checking first or they checked and it was a close similar

Yeah me to, wow.

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: State warns against wild mushroom eating.....[CA] [Re: mrblonde]
    #11357771 - 10/31/09 03:58 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mrblonde said:
Most of the people that die from eating those are from Southeast Asia.  The Straw Mushrooms that they have back home looks a lot like a Destroying Angel.

If these are the mushrooms that you're talking about, they look _nothing_ like A. ocreata; maybe after a 6-pack 12-pack of decent beer they'd look like A. phalliodes. Maybe.

http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=straw%20mushrooms&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Maybe to the untrained eye they look similar enough?

--------------------
The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms said, "...the rule of thumb is to avoid any bolete with orange to red pores, especially any that bruises blue."
Lincoff, (1989). The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms (pp. 562). New York: Knopf.

STICKY: Hunting/ID Sub-Forum General Guidelines
STICKY: ID Request Guidelines
www.youryoure.com

Edited by tangoking (10/31/09 03:59 PM)

Invisiblemrblonde
Agnostic Evangalist

Re: State warns against wild mushroom eating.....[CA] [Re: tangoking]
    #11358059 - 10/31/09 04:49 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tangoking said:
Quote:

mrblonde said:

If these are the mushrooms that you're talking about, they look _nothing_ like A. ocreata; maybe after a 6-pack 12-pack of decent beer they'd look like A. phalliodes. Maybe.

http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=straw%20mushrooms&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Maybe to the untrained eye they look similar enough?

Check this one out:

http://www.vuatkerala.org/static/eng/advisory/agri/mushroom/paddystraw.htm

White coming out of a pod, just like a destroying angel

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Toilet Paper

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service