Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
FUCK - Cobweb on casings?
    #11350925 - 10/30/09 12:13 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

after making the casings and letting them incubate for 4 days, i put them in the FC (after a fellow shroomerite had told me they looked ready)

nothing happened to the casings for a few days, i take it they were still recolonizing and starting to grow up. anyway, the casing material i had made was a bit too dry (i think) so i made sure to mist the trays a couple times a day.

i went in last night to look at everything, and something caught my eye... in all 4 of the trays, and im scared to say it might be cobweb. i have been misting with a water/H2O2 mix. 10% H2O2, so i would think that would keep any wobweb away or down or whatever. the growth in all 4 casings looks the same, hasnt grown a lot, but theres new growth and its about the same small amount throughout all the trays.

cobweb is supposed to be fast, so i guess i should know in the next 2 days for sure if its cobweb or just mycelium.... what a bitch. i would hate to lose 4 trays...

ive never SEEN cobweb, only pictures on here, and it doesnt exactly look like it. of course, its just now popping up out of the surface or through little cracks so there isnt much and its impossible to get a good picture.

these are the only pictures i have of it. may be hard to make it out.

i kind of dont think the pictures are worth it... im just kinda nervous and dont know what to do. wanted to post to reassure myself or prepare myself.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: FUCK - Cobweb on casings? [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #11350967 - 10/30/09 12:21 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I don't see any.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11350971 - 10/30/09 12:22 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

That is mycelium.

It looks as though you have used something more that just vermiculite as a casing material.

Remember, a casing is supposed to be non-nutritive. This keeps the mycelium from consuming it. As long as the mycelium has something to eat, it will eat INSTEAD of producing fruits.
:2cents: :goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: FUCK - Cobweb on casings? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11350979 - 10/30/09 12:24 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

sorry im still new to the terms.

i made the 50/50+ casing tek. put some on bottom then a layer of chopped of PF cakes, and another layer of 50/50.

im relieved to hear 2 no's so far. i really want sure... im going to hold off on misting for a while. or should i continue misting once or twice a day?

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

Offlineblackstatis
sycoknot

#11350987 - 10/30/09 12:25 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

thats to dense to be cobweb.  its for sure mycelium.  you've seen actual cobwebs before, right or any spiderweb.  yeah, that kinda mold looks like that.  not like this.

Offlinedgls_jms
festival follower

#11350988 - 10/30/09 12:25 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

looking good to me with exception of what brandnewbie brought up

--------------------
Not that you lied to me, but that I no longer believe you has shaken me.

"I have done that" says my memory. "I cannot have done that" says my pride, and remains inexorable. Eventually - memory yields.

OfflinePilzeEssen

#11351001 - 10/30/09 12:29 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

like i said, i used the 50/50+ casing tek for these trays.

is that wrong??!! dont tell me i fucked up or somethin. i did exactly what the tek told me to!

is it just goint to keep eating or is it going to produce fruits?!

--------------------

Edited by PilzeEssen (10/30/09 12:30 PM)

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: FUCK - Cobweb on casings? [Re: dgls_jms]
    #11351007 - 10/30/09 12:30 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Weak mycelium.... Good stuff !!! Just lets the powers that be!!

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: FUCK - Cobweb on casings? [Re: botanisthype]
    #11351023 - 10/30/09 12:35 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i have a secret helper in my grow room now to help with this exact thing:awesome:

buddha has been there since i birthed the cakes, but i watched some tibetan monks make a sand painting over the past few days, and after they finished yesterday, they gave me a bag with some of the sand in it. so i have magical tibetan monk sand constantly giving off positive vibes :omgawesome: lol i hope it helps!!!

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#11351086 - 10/30/09 12:51 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I think you should mist those well, and cover them up so that they can finish colonizing. After they are 100%, give them another five to seven days, THEN put them into fruiting conditions.

Those are not ready to fruit. Right now they are losing moisture and being exposed to contaminates needlessly.

I wouldn't want to try and keep them happy for another two weeks exposed like that...

:imo:

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

#11351098 - 10/30/09 12:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

fuck...

should i throw them back into the incubator too?

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

#11351164 - 10/30/09 01:16 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

fuck it. theyre back in the incubator. i didnt think they were ready to be moved to the FC either, but some fucking dude on here told me to.... fuckin A. watch, now these trays are gonna fuck up.

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#11351234 - 10/30/09 01:32 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Cover them with aluminum foil, (after you spray them with water), punch holes in the foil for Gas Exchange. Cover with Micro-pore tape, and wait. They will be fine.

Wait until they are ALL white, THEN wait for five to seven days.

Then put them in your fruiting chamber. You'll be golden, don't worry. They look healthy. Just not ready yet.

:goodluck:

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

#11351247 - 10/30/09 01:36 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

see, ive heard to wait until maybe 40-50% to colonize and then fruit. so, i put the lids back on that have holes in them. so i just wait until the top is completely white, wait a week, and then fruit? fuck it, i keep hearing different things. im just gonna try random shit and figure it out... i just dont want to fucking lose these trays!!!

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#11352415 - 10/30/09 04:47 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

100% colonization is a MUST. Whoever told you otherwise is an ignorant turd.

As long as there is food to eat, the mycelium will concentrate on eating. When the food runs out, (100% colonization), then the mycelium says to itself, "Hey, I'd better send out some spores so that I can propagate and stay alive. I'd better fruit some mushrooms!"

(Mycelium doesn't actually talk, I'm just trying to help you to understand the process...)

That is why people who use a casing layer that has nutrients in it always complain about "stalled" cakes or trays. In fact, there is no stalling, just more has been brought to the table to eat.

Consolidation is also highly recommended. When you allow the mycelium to "digest" what it has eaten BEFORE you put it into the FC, the cakes or trays do not dry out.

After 100% colonization, the mycelium needs to rest for about 7-10 days. You should leave it covered during this time because it is safe and comfortable where it is.

If you do NOT let it sit for this time and instead put it into the FC at exactly 100% colonization, then you too will be posting a horrid post about your "stalled" cakes/trays, as well as watching your mycelium dry out due to evaporation.

Personally, I like my mycelial mats to dry out due to fruit production...:shrug:

--------------------

OfflinePilzeEssen

#11352464 - 10/30/09 04:56 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

well i have the time. ill jsut let them sit in there until the top is all white, wait a week, and fruit.

i tried growing once a few years ago and all i got was 1 tiny pin, and nothign happened to any of them after that.

i dont want this to happen again. i want to actually grow some god damn mushrooms.

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#11352498 - 10/30/09 05:02 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

You were probably in to much of a hurry last time too.  Patience is the name of the game in this hobby.

I had to learn the hard way. (Oh boy, did I.)

After a couple of successful grows, you'll be able to time it just right. When that happens, you'll have some trays in the FC, some trays consolidating, and some grains colonizing all at the same time!

Those look strong and healthy. It's gonna happen for you my Brudda.

Peace. :rockon:

--------------------

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11352782 - 10/30/09 05:49 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Well all kinds of crazy shit being said here,  if that is just 50/50 peat/verm they are ready to fruit.  Any time you are "casing" fruit at 20-30% colonized.  Now if you are using a bulk substrate then don't fruit or case until 100%.  Peat/verm is non-nutritious and is used for casing so the way it looks it is ready to fruit.
Next time look at the date on the teks you use,  it looks like an old tek.  Simply casing PF cake doesn't yield much more(if any) then just keeping them as cakes.  So next time use a bulk sub like horse manure or coir and skip the casing..
You should be fine but some minor adjustments you could easily triple your yield...

CH

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: FUCK - Cobweb on casings? [Re: CH HELL]
    #11352796 - 10/30/09 05:51 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Also when using H2o2 it is normally 3% straight out of the bottle so don't dilute it any more than that.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Re: FUCK - Cobweb on casings? [Re: CH HELL]
    #11352825 - 10/30/09 05:56 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Allow for 100% colonization plus one week for best results.  This applies to mushroom substrates.  It matters not whether cakes or bulk.

This doesn't mean your project will fail if you don't.  It simply means that fruiting will rarely occur before that week anyway, so why not leave it sealed up to preserve moisture and let the mycelium digest a bit more food before exposing to fruiting conditions?  I find it odd that so many people around here are stuck with what is 'good enough' and 'the way it was done ten years ago' when better ways have been found.  The commercial farms always let the substrates sit for a week to a month after full colonization.  Why?  Because fruiting room real estate is at a premium, but colonization space is cheap and easy to maintain.  By allowing for consolidation of the substrate, the eventual flush is faster, larger, and more even.

The astute grower will use the consolidation time to start more projects so that when the first one comes out of fruiting conditions, he has more ready to go in.
RR

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation