Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePangolin
Gardener
Female

Loc: Around
Cultivation newbie-
    #11348593 - 10/29/09 11:28 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this. Really new. I recently kinda "inherited" a set-up. Long story short, a friend of ours is relocating out of country so he gave his operation to my husband. At some point the two of them made some substrate jars which went into our closet (they don't remember what the date was- thanks, guys). I don't know when he was expecting colonization, but when they left on business Monday, the jars still weren't ready.

So here I am. I've been doing a LOT of research. I have 5 medium jars, 1 of which began in-vitro pinning yesterday, one is fully colonized with no pins, and the other 3 are about 95% colonized. I decided to go the route of the shotgun terrarium (can't remember the name of the tek... I've looked at a bunch of them... it's the one by RR).

I've been pretty nervous about actually taking the cakes out of the jars. Lots of stuff to mess up... Disaster did strike. The lids were on too tight, cakes got stuck in the jars, once they were finally out, I couldn't keep them fully submerged in the small dunking chambers... It wasn't pretty and I'm really hoping I didn't do too much damage to the one cake when I used the knife to pry it out. We'll see how it looks tomorrow.

I am really not sure if I should try casing with the two that are currently in the dunk and leave the other 3 in cake form or if I should just leave them all as cakes since it is theoretically easier for a noob like myself.

Any tips would be appreciated. Oh, and if I'm not supposed to put a greeting post here, I apologize.

Thanks guys!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Cultivation newbie- [Re: Pangolin]
    #11348616 - 10/29/09 11:30 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Welcome!
Interesting situation you're in. Like somebody giving you a pet.
Go ahead and fruit them as cakes, you're right about that.
Next time you birth them, turn them over and whack them on a countertop. It's looks easy in the video, but sometimes they are stuck a little tighter.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
    #11348695 - 10/29/09 11:38 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery!

I'd take the dunked cakes and roll them in a dry layer of vermiculite and let those be the PF cakes. Research bulk grows some more and I'd try a bulk grow for a first time. Your cakes might turn a blue-ish color from being handled so much. It's bruising and it's nothing to worry about.

Other than that, good luck.

--------------------
-

InvisiblePangolin
Gardener
Female

Loc: Around
Re: Cultivation newbie- [Re: Dynoo]
    #11351295 - 10/30/09 01:44 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you both for the welcome and the tips!

Doc, you're right. It is like someone dropped a pet in my lap. I'll definitely try whacking harder next time. I was whacking and shaking the jars as hard as I could (heh heh) without waking up a sleeping family member in the next room. Next time, I'll do the birthing during the day when nobody is home.

Dynoo, I'll look more into bulk grows before I try it. Maybe for the next round I'll try casing. Or maybe after I make some prints (assuming I get some spores out of this). My expectations are really low. I'll come back and post some pictures once there's something to see.

BTW- I like your art!

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11351376 - 10/30/09 01:59 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

You've got RR's videos already, just do it like that and it'll work. :thumbup:
Post if you run into trouble or have questions- and post pics when you get results! :msuhroomgrow:

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation