Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemetalchimp
bionic monkey

Loc: Cambridge, England
Incubation.....& light levels
    #1134598 - 12/12/02 06:08 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ive seen conflicting views on this & it may ultimately not matter, but

does it make any difference (colonisation speed etc..) how much light the brf substrate gets during incubation?

I've just had mine sitting in an aquarium (glass sides) should I try to block out the light?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGratefulDread
Never pass up anopportunity topee.

Re: Incubation.....& light levels [Re: metalchimp]
    #1134607 - 12/12/02 06:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Colonization should take place in total darkness but once they're fully colonized you should have them in light for 12 hrs/day.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Incubation.....& light levels [Re: GratefulDread]
    #1134617 - 12/12/02 06:16 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

what gratefuldread said is the consensus, however if doing PF cakes I have had the exact same results regardless of how much light the mycelium gets during colonization. Temperature, Humidity, and Air changes seem to promote fruiting much more than light exposure. All the light in the world won't make it fruit if the other params aren't right. If all the other params are right it really only takes about a second of light a day to cause fruiting.

OfflineGratefulDread
Never pass up anopportunity topee.

Re: Incubation.....& light levels [Re: debianlinux]
    #1134735 - 12/12/02 06:59 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If even 5% of the mycellium's energy is turned to pinning by the light wouldn't it make sense to keep them in the dark to ensure 100% of the mycellium's efforts are towards full colonization?

In the mushroom cultivator for psilocybe cubensis it says that both the spawn run and the post casing / prepinning stages should be in total darkness but maybe Paul Stamets is wrong.  :smile:

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Incubation.....& light levels [Re: GratefulDread]
    #1134807 - 12/12/02 07:31 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I have noticed on a couple of threads that people take me relaying my personal experiences as arguing with tried and true methods. That is not my intention. In fact I highly reccomend to anyone that they follow all documented methods to the T. There are reasonsfor those methods. My point is that you can still be successful (just as succesfull in my opinion) with your cultivation without following every single procedure perfectly. Personally, I don't see jars start to pin until the whole thing is colnized anyway so there would be no less energy for colonization. If you want an argument then I could point out that it has been discussed many times and is generally assumed that a second flush is generally more potent. So that meager 5% of energy that popped a tiny pin or 2 in your jar probably just boosted the potency of future mushrooms. Of course, that is highly speculative. Not to mention when you do birth the cake fruiting will begin immediately and many times the pins that are in the jar go on to become fruits. And I think that Stamets is the god of shroom knowledge and would never argue with what he says. Just remeber that it's your garden and you can grow it how you like. Again, I state my own experiences and that experience says that jars can stay in the light without detrimental effects to colonization time, flush intensity, or potency. However, casing and really any non-PF BRF jar tek is more susceptible to corruption from premature lighting.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Incubation.....& light levels [Re: debianlinux]
    #1134942 - 12/12/02 08:52 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

. Personally, I don't see jars start to pin until the whole thing is colnized anyway so there would be no less energy for colonization

I've seen jars pin when they were 75% colonized.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck