Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Vancouver, Canada marijuana activist jailed
    #11345610 - 10/29/09 04:11 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Vancouver marijuana activist jailed

BY IAN MULGREW, VANCOUVER SUNOCTOBER 29, 2009 12:02 PMCOMMENTS (11)

http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouver+marijuana+activist+jailed/2159433/story.html

David Malmo-Levine outside his shop on Hastings Street in Vancouver in 2005.
Photograph by: Steve Bosch, Vancouver Sun
VANCOUVER -- David Malmo-Levine, one of Canada's most flamboyant marijuana activists, was led off to jail Wednesday to serve a six-month sentence for a pound-a-day trafficking operation he ran for three years.

His supporters, who crowded the tiny Main Street courtroom, burst into tears and cried out, "We love you David!"

The Edmonton-born 35-year-old, who has made ending the criminal cannabis prohibition his life's work, vowed imprisonment would not end his crusade.

"I hope he is wrong," Provincial Court Judge Joseph Galati said.

While Marc Emery, the imprisoned Prince of Pot awaiting extradition to the U.S., sold seeds, Malmo-Levine was convicted of offering bags of marijuana, hash, psilocybin mushrooms and opium.

No more.

Though "in some respects I admire" Malmo-Levine for the way he presented his drug policy views, the judge insisted the criminal code must be enforced.

"He objects to being called a zealot," Galati noted, "but he admits he is zealous in advancing his cause."

Malmo-Levine, whose last convictions for trafficking in 1998 led to a landmark Supreme Court of Canada ruling, did business from a store on East Hastings Street next to the safe-injection site.

He called it, "The Herb School."

Malmo-Levine and his associates also conducted "Drug War History" walking tours of the downtown identifying sites in Chinatown, for instance, where at the turn of the last century there were numerous opium factories.

After a lecture on how to safely use marijuana, "students" could make purchases.

Two undercover Vancouver cops who tried to get into the Herb School only to buy pot were turned away because they wouldn't take the tour and lecture.

During a three-day surveillance stint in January 2008, police counted 346 visitors to the school where Malmo-Levine was known as "the grand poobah."

The VPD dubbed the raid on the Herb School — "Operation Herbicide."

"As if they didn't notice the irony of attacking non-toxic, non-carcinogenic herbs with such a toxic, carcinogenic metaphor," Malmo-Levine quipped in court.

He pleaded guilty to the trafficking charges but presented a mountain of evidence on sentencing urging the judge to recognize the destructiveness of the prohibition and to "provide hope to others."

Galati noted that the Supreme Court did not buy Malmo-Levine's arguments and neither did he.

"Used properly cannabis may well be a remarkable substance," he said, but no one was above the law.

Malmo-Levine kept no books, he paid no taxes and he claimed that after covering his costs and paying modest lifestyle expenses, he used any profit to fund his activism.

"The defendant is in debt as a result of the raid and will be for quite some time —probably four or five years," he said. "His financial backers are unlikely to invest such money in any similar projects in the future."

imulgrew@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: Vancouver, Canada marijuana activist jailed [Re: World Spirit]
    #11347128 - 10/29/09 08:15 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

WTF CANADA!!!
:megacrankey:

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Vancouver, Canada marijuana activist jailed [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11347188 - 10/29/09 08:24 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Trust that it gets worse...Check out all the new shit Stephen Harper is unleashing in his own country....cannabisculture.com

Invisibleshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11347431 - 10/29/09 08:59 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yea I know...
I'm just clinging to the hope that we will have another surprise election and get him out of the big seat. As the years go by, the hope shrinks- and in all honestly it's not like the liberals are much better.
I want to go back to the Canada that wanted to decriminalize marijuana vs. this Canada that wants to make mandatory prison sentences.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11347807 - 10/29/09 09:49 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Are you helping or involved with organizations in Canada?

Invisibleshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11347995 - 10/29/09 10:18 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

No.. I've been looking to get active though.

I mean, I do my part on my own- I've contacted my MP several times regarding bill c-15 and marijuana legalization, I show up at all the pro-legalization protests, and most importantly I always try my best to dispell false information about marijuana. But I want to do more.

I haven't been able to find anything regarding local (Toronto) pro-marijuana groups though.

--------------------

OfflineSmeeeeg
Entheogenic Philosopher
Male

#11348080 - 10/29/09 10:31 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

oh sweet jesus, just another reminder of stephen harper's retarded policies. he's a modern day harry anslinger, in canada the general public isnt educated about weed enough. so they vote for stephen, a seemingly nice man who promises to vanquish the scourge of drugs from the face of the earth...

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11348119 - 10/29/09 10:36 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I've had a lot of phobias to deal with, lots of paranoia about being confronted and having this perspective on the issue.

In America our biggest group is NORML and I think they're in Canada as well. However, I've met with a NORML organization before and was not impressed by their efforts.

We should consider the impact of having a joint Canadian-and-American task force website dedicated to the UNDERSTANDING of Cannabis. It also should seek to inform accurately both nations of the role that the Cannabis plant has in terms of human cognition.

I think most sober citizens will find that they are not at all sober, and we are ultimately arguing over the wrong issue.

I think that people of all ages and backgrounds need to consider the statistics available through Google that reveal just how many people intentionally (under the category of mental health medicine) alter their cognition in one direction or another.

Every last one of us in existence is elaborately involved in the daily alteration of consciousness.

It is the most fundamental and continuous activity of everyday life.

The right issue is the appropriate way to allow citizens to ingest a food or plant without any negative impact to society or amongst society. Either way, people - by our Creator's design - will continue to seek specifically the Cannabis plant and in dire instances, an alternative that is identical to the Cannabis plant.

Invisibleshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11348294 - 10/29/09 10:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Paranoia of being confronted on what? A pro-legalization stance?
If so, that isn't too big of a worry for me- most people who know me already know my stance on marijuana and personal freedom in general.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest. Norml is our biggest, I am fairly sure.
I'm not sure how the citizens pull it off other than saying it is doublethink at its finest. One hand beats the illegal drug user while the other pops prescription doses.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11348585 - 10/29/09 11:27 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, it was a fear of people knowing that I am pro-plants, pro-cannabis, and pro-Nature.

Most people have been inaccurately informed by their government about Cannabis and as a result, these same individuals have strong, biased feelings about marijuana.

The truth is, this plant has enormous potential for allowing the world to deal with the stress levels involved in the current culture.

We all agree that the world can be better. Cannabis is a small part of that, if we want to allow an obvious, natural course of Action.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service