Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefatso
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA Flag
Re: starting some poppies [Re: fatso]
    #11332272 - 10/27/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

UPDATE  i was having a hard time last week cuz it ws super hot and i couldnt keep the soil damp so i put some of that green gardening mesh over it.  today when i went to water them i found some sprouts!!!!  ps i resowed some seeds under the soil cuz i think the wind blew away the ones i surface sowed. 

now im starting a pretty damn big bed.  i filled it with fox farm again and flatened it out.  didnt add any extra perlite this time.  anyway, its now flat but a lil "fluffy".  should i compact it somehow or just leave it how it is and start some seeds?  thanks!

--------------------

My old Papaver Somniferums var. Gigantum and my Passion Flower...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #11332663 - 10/27/09 04:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'd make sure the soil is loose and not totally full of hills and valleys.  flatten if you wish but probably doesn't need it, just needs to be raked lightly on the top layer so that the seeds can start in loose soil.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinefatso
Male User Gallery

Re: starting some poppies [Re: TODAY]
    #11332706 - 10/27/09 04:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

great.  i  already flatened it out by sweeping it lightly.  i guess ill give em a go tomorow.  i like to mark where the seeds are and this bed is fairly big so i dont want to stick bent paperclips next to all the seed like it my baby pool lol.  so im thinking ill mark them with a tiny bit of hrticultural sand since someone said earlier in this thread to use a thin layer of sand. 

i dont think i have quite enough gigantum seeds for the whole bed but luckily i found some somniferum seeds at a nursery.  usuallythey dont have em here for some reason.

--------------------

Offlinefatso
Male User Gallery

#11338998 - 10/28/09 02:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

im starting a big bed now and am marking where the seedlings are with small piles of sand ontop.  can i just put the seeds ontop of the soil(cuz someone reccomended i surface sow them) and pour a tiny bit of sand to keep em in place or should i put a tiny bit of soil ontop and sand?  thanks!

ps the other strain is laurens grape(dark purple)

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #11340668 - 10/28/09 06:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You can do a light top dressing of about 2mm with sand, I wouldn't want to go much deeper. If you bury them too deep they might not have the food reserves to break through to the surface. Keeping them moist while germinating will help them from being blown away by the wind too.

--------------------

InvisibleMystery420
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: starting some poppies [Re: karode13]
    #11343634 - 10/29/09 05:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry to steal your thread but whats the best way to germinate poppy seeds? straight into the ground or in a paper towel?

cheers

--------------------
"I'm the one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want."
-Jimi Hendrix

So fuck ya'll all of ya'll If ya'll don't like me blow me

Offlinefatso
Male User Gallery

Re: starting some poppies [Re: Mystery420]
    #11344733 - 10/29/09 11:40 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

GROUND!!  theyre too tiny to pick out of the paper towel and they hate transplanting.

So i spent 3 1/2 hours carefully putting a farily even amount of seeds in each spot, and covering them with a thin spot of sand.  i also  divided the two strains with some gardeing wire or something and labeled em.  looked pretty damn good.  then i came out this morning , windy as fucking hell and something dug up one corner and a few other spots and ate a few seed patches.  im not playing games anymore.  whenever i go out there now im bringing my gun.  complete bullshit has ruined/alsmost ruined several attempts at growing these. 

one attempt a freak heat wave killed em when i was not there to water em

the baby pool, a few sprouts got killed b/c withing 5 minutes of watering them it became very cloudy and cold so it was wet through most of the night(this was a few days ago)

then the wind and animals last night.  i swear, the poppy gods hate me and dont want me growing them lol

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds