Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledr_gonz

How many law school students/graduates do we have here at the Shroomery?
    #11343872 - 10/29/09 09:39 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Please describe your experiences, and what you've done or plan to do with your degree.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: How many law school students/graduates do we have here at the Shroomery? [Re: dr_gonz]
    #11345434 - 10/29/09 03:45 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I never would have thought youd consider law school, but I guess we all get old.  My brother went to law school, hes currently doing intellectual property law after working for a free software style pro bono group.  Take your LSAT and have a decent gpa and youll be fine

Invisibledr_gonz

Re: How many law school students/graduates do we have here at the Shroomery? [Re: Chespirito]
    #11345644 - 10/29/09 04:17 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

What did he tell you of the experience?

What was the quality of his school?

What was his LSAT score?

Invisibledr_gonz

Re: How many law school students/graduates do we have here at the Shroomery? [Re: dr_gonz]
    #11345676 - 10/29/09 04:23 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Open questions to anyone with experience:

In terms of student loans is it possible to get loans for living expenses (housing/food) in addition to tuition?

Did you work while going to law school?

What did you do with your degree?

What was the most difficult aspect of the experience?

Is 5 1/2 weeks enough time to adequately prepare for the LSAT? (studying 40 hours/wk)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11345771 - 10/29/09 04:39 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I can answer the LSAT question now and can probably help with a few of the other questions.

Provided you actually do studying 40 hours a week, I think the LSAT is doable. I stress that you actually HAVE to study that much from TODAY. If you don't have the books, go out and buy them or get them from the library.  Get the real past exam books.  They release the tests in book form to purchase in the past, and that is what I would study.

I studied for the entire summer before the exam (not for forty hours a week though) and did far worse than I wanted to.

Like I said, go out and get an overview book by Kaplan or Princeton review, and then get your hands on as many practice tests as you can.  Don't waste your time on any practice tests that aren't real past ones.

Also, take a test fully blind before you start studying anything.  This will allow you to gauge where you are at now and which sections of the test you need to improve the most on.

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11345920 - 10/29/09 05:07 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

He went to a top 14 law school. I know that sounds weird top 14 thing instead of top 15 or 20 or 10, but everyone uses T14 when they talk about schools.  The reason is that the US News T14 schools are the ones you think about when you think of law school and their rankings rarely change.  Its debatable if number 14 is worse than number 8 for instance, its just how US News decided they were going to do it. 

He did well on the LSAT with a mid 170's score which is 98 or 99% percentile I forget.  His GPA wasn't that great at a 3.5-3.6 or maybe it was a 3.4-3.5, however he had worked for a congressman and written articles for a big newspaper so schools overlooked the GPA.  Its extremely cut throat to get into a T14 school, its much easier to get into a top 20. 

He loved the experience though, he went to a school in a major metro so he got experience with pro bono work and getting to know law firms.  Personally I dont see why anyone would go to law school in a place like where Michigan or Yale or Duke are located, Id only go to schools like Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard, Columbia/NYU, Texas, Boston University etc...  That way you can get a much better grasp on real case work. 

You can certainly get loans, however if you want free money youll need to seriously impress them with your GPA and LSAT (depending on the school of course.) 

Itd be damn hard to work while going to law school, I know a friend who does it but he only does part time bar work so its not much work.  Some schools have separate programs that are made for people with current jobs.

As for the LSAT, Ive actually personally taken it and got in the low 170's.  I studied for probably a month or two on and off, and mainly focused on the big section that counts for 50% of the test.  Initially I got destroyed on that section, did ok on the logic games and killed the reading comp.  By the end I had figured out the logic games and reading comp but still missed some on the major section.

I dont plan on going to law school however at the time I just wanted to keep my options open

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: How many law school students/graduates do we have here at the Shroomery? (moved) [Re: dr_gonz]
    #11346204 - 10/29/09 05:53 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

This thread was moved from Political Discussion.

Reason:
This must have been posted in the Political Discussion forum by mistake. Moved to the proper forum

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub