Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Upstate NY
Harmful, Usefull or Complete waist of time.
    #11343218 - 10/29/09 01:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Basically I have an idea that I thought might be interesting to try. I think eventually I will try it regardless of what is said in response here but I though it would be nice to see if people have tried this or thought of this before and what the responses might be.

We all know that a huge asset of any grow environment is FAE and a good supply of Oxygen. It seems to me that the more oxygen the mycelium gets the healthier and larger the fruit body becomes. (Obviously there are other factors, and correct me if I am wrong here)

So I was thinking of how to get a really good supply of fresh air directly to the mycelium. I came up with this.

This would probably only work in bulk grows if it would work at all and the way I describe this assumes that you use a cool mist humidifier and lay your sub out in trays but I'm sure if you get the idea it would be pretty easy to modify to your specific environment. 

First thing is to acquire a small air pump, just the regular fish tank type should do. Now You want to put the air pump somewhere where it would be getting a good flow of fresh moist air so just sticking it outside the GH would probably just be putting in too dry of air. Respectively if you put the pump inside the GH you would just be cycling small amounts of Oxygen and mostly CO2. So I figure the optimal place to place the pump intake is in in the vent that is coming from your cool mist. In my case I would just feed the intake valve up the vent a little bit and then tape it down. This way you will be getting that direct intake of fresh moist air with a low CO2 Content.

Now forget about the pump for a minute. You will have to complete this next step during your casing layer prep.

I would probably use something like 1/2 inch tubing for this part. Take the tubing and then take a (hot?) needle and poke holes in the tubing until you have quite a few running all over the tube. Seal one end of the hose off completely and insert your pump output tubing into the other end, seal the connection with tape/glue so that when you run the pump the air flows evenly out of the holes that you poked. Now spiral the tube around in the layer of colonized grain, WBS or whatever you are using for substrate then lay your casing on top of that.

In theory (my theory) This should supply the mycelium with all the fresh air it would need.

So that was my bid idea. I am about %50 sure that I am somewhat ignorant in my attempt at innovation but you never know. And if this has already been discussed I am sorry but I don't really know what to type in the search bar to find this topic if it has been.

Thanks,
Dave
What do you think.
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (10/29/09 01:24 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: Harmful, Usefull or Complete waist of time. [Re: audiophoenix]
    #11343293 - 10/29/09 01:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

sounds like the same thing we do with bubbler stones in a Poor Mans Pod

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: Harmful, Usefull or Complete waist of time. [Re: Slimz]
    #11343300 - 10/29/09 01:52 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So what your going to add a hose to each and every tray?  Sounds like more work than needed.  Why not just construct a PMP?

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Re: Harmful, Usefull or Complete waist of time. [Re: Slimz]
    #11343305 - 10/29/09 01:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Slimz said:
sounds like the same thing we do with bubbler stones in a Poor Mans Pod

Accept that a bumbler give you about 1/2 the moisture content in the air that a coolmist gives you and the air from the bubbler just kind of floats in all directions not really focused at the substrate. I have read a lot of people saying that bubblers don't work too well because of those reasons.

--------------------

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

#11343311 - 10/29/09 01:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

but if you take the tube right from the coolmist and pipe it into your shrooms im thinking you will over saturate your sub and the only thing you will get is contaims

--------------------

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Re: Harmful, Usefull or Complete waist of time. [Re: truskool]
    #11343313 - 10/29/09 01:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

truskool said:
So what your going to add a hose to each and every tray?  Sounds like more work than needed.  Why not just construct a PMP?

Originally I was thinking that maybe you could just make a hose going from one tray to another and then the air could flow to all the trays except that you would need a larger pump so in the end that might be more work but I still would be interested to see if there is a difference in results at all.

--------------------

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

#11343315 - 10/29/09 01:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

truskool said:
but if you take the tube right from the coolmist and pipe it into your shrooms im thinking you will over saturate your sub and the only thing you will get is contaims

Maybe if you put it on a timer?

--------------------

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

#11343326 - 10/29/09 02:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Your just pumping pure moisture into your sub.  You seem pretty determined to try it but I have a feeling your just going to soak your sub and get pure nastiness instead of shrooms

--------------------

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

#11343336 - 10/29/09 02:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

truskool said:
Your just pumping pure moisture into your sub.  You seem pretty determined to try it but I have a feeling your just going to soak your sub and get pure nastiness instead of shrooms

I would like to make it clear that I am certainly not determined to be right. But I know that mushrooms have a maximum amount of oxygen that they can absorb and I am sure that almost no one is fulfilling that potential. I would just think it would be beneficial to see what the effects of meeting that full potential would be.

To solve the moisture problem you could probably get away with just putting the intake somewhere near the cool mist input.

--------------------

Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
    #11343354 - 10/29/09 02:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

confused about the air pump idea. with a cool mist running 24/7 you get constant FAE, granted you keep the humidifier outside your enclosure.

as for the tubing near the substrate:

if you did that you would probably get mushrooms trying to grow underneath the casing and into the tubing, since FAE is one of the major pinning triggers.

not trying to bash your idea, I like the ingenuity, just think it's unnecessary and would end up backfiring.

:shrug:

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Re: Harmful, Usefull or Complete waist of time. [Re: avorg]
    #11343368 - 10/29/09 02:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

avorg said:
confused about the air pump idea. with a cool mist running 24/7 you get constant FAE, granted you keep the humidifier outside your enclosure.

as for the tubing near the substrate:

if you did that you would probably get mushrooms trying to grow underneath the casing and into the tubing, since FAE is one of the major pinning triggers.

not trying to bash your idea, I like the ingenuity, just think it's unnecessary and would end up backfiring.

:shrug:

You make good points in regards to under pinning. I figured it probably is not worth the effort. I think maybe at the effort of trying this I would almost just as soon go get an oxygen tank.

--------------------

OfflineRandomstickynote
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX Flag
    #11343379 - 10/29/09 02:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've got this nice air pump with four outlets, I'm going to be (as soon as I've gathered all the material for the PMP) hooking up 2 bubble wands and a 3" air disk, then the other I plan on hooking into something like this:
http://www.shroomery.org/9789/Teh-Fire-and-4get-Bubbleh-Humidifier

IE: Hook the last unused outlet of my air pump into a jar with a fogger that will pump not only more air, but humidified air. The outlet from that jar will be above all of my substrate unlike the bubble wands in the water, so it will be effectively lightly misting them constantly.

Of course, my air pump wasn't always for this and pumps 9 liters per minute (enough for 5 air exchanges an hour on my FC) Since you're most likely growing cubes and only need like 2 exchanges an hour, you can hook one cheap air pump with 1 or 2 outlets to a valve like this which will give you more outlets. Hook 2 or three up to your airstones/wands, and the other 1 or 2 to your jar with the mister/fogger in it. Seems like a cheaper alternative than a cool mist in addition to an air pump.

--------------------
AMU

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #11343382 - 10/29/09 02:32 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Now spiral the tube around in the layer of colonized grain, WBS or whatever you are using for substrate then lay your casing on top of that.

when growing cubes they dont need a casing layer.:smirk:

most spawn wbs/rye etc. to a bulk substrate or use cakes so their are no layers of any kind in trays/tubs or cakes.:mushroomgrow:

not trying to burst your bubble but I think your over thinking the whole FAE thing.:stoned:

wind blows over the ground in nature so I dont think under substrate aeration would benefit. :shrug:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Re: Harmful, Usefull or Complete waist of time. [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11343392 - 10/29/09 02:42 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

My ideas tend to go from mildly retarded to completely impractical. I am beginning to see how this whole idea would be a complete waist of time.

I guess sometimes thinking in the box is ok too.

Thanks anyways guys.

--------------------

OfflineMontock
Time = $
 User Gallery

Re: Harmful, Usefull or Complete waist of time. [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11343408 - 10/29/09 02:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think its a great idea that needs some more thought, we all know mushrooms will take as much fresh air as they can get, as long as you dont fuck with the other variables. if your pumping moist air straight into your sub, or inbetween the sub and casing layer 24/7 ill bet every print i have that you over satureate,and get contammed, personally i belive its not a bad idea, I think i might try it but slightly modified, why not take the hose and line the inside of the tub with it and put it right above the substrate but not on it. Say hot glue it to the wall of the tub. if you watch one of rr videos i belive he has a lions mane mushroom or something in a shotgun terrarium that literally finds its way thrue one of the holes he drilled and grows much much better than all the other ones, when doing this your going to have to monitor the air thats being pumped in, and your going to have to monitor your subtrate like crazy at first till you can tweak it so you dont dry out or over saturate, i like the idea alot, im going to go buy a pump and add try it in a bucket. i would also reckomend monitoring the psi your getting out of each one of those holes, there is alot to go wrong but if you get it right youll be the coolest kid in the sand box, sorry for the wrong reply, high at work again

--------------------
Looking for Wife, please pm me your picture and list of skillz.

I'm wrong all the time, my posts are subject to being wrong at any  point or time, get butt hurt at own risk.

OfflineMontock
Time = $
 User Gallery

#11343413 - 10/29/09 03:02 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

audiophoenix said:
My ideas tend to go from mildly retarded to completely impractical. I am beginning to see how this whole idea would be a complete waist of time.

I guess sometimes thinking in the box is ok too.

Thanks anyways guys.

no, dont give up, thinking in a box makes you look stupid, where as growing in a tub is cool, continous improvement is the only way to be sucesfull, in no shape or form do you get continous improvement by "thinking in a box"

--------------------

I'm wrong all the time, my posts are subject to being wrong at any  point or time, get butt hurt at own risk.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11343723 - 10/29/09 06:52 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

audiophoenix said:
But I know that mushrooms have a maximum amount of oxygen that they can absorb and I am sure that almost no one is fulfilling that potential.

FAE isn't about adding oxygen, it's about reducing CO2. Sure you'd drop the CO2 if you pump in pure oxy, but it works with air too.
You don't want or need your FAE inside the bulk sub- you want it across the top. That's where the pinning should take place, right?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineMontock
Time = $
 User Gallery

Re: Harmful, Usefull or Complete waist of time. [Re: Doc_T]
    #11348199 - 10/29/09 08:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

[

FAE isn't about adding oxygen, it's about reducing CO2. Sure you'd drop the CO2 if you pump in pure oxy, but it works with air too.
You don't want or need your FAE inside the bulk sub- you want it across the top. That's where the pinning should take place, right?

agreed, this is why i suggested hot gluing it to the sides of the tub and have the air blast the sub, giving the maximum amount of oxygen possible, being able to acuraetly control each and every variable of an orginism's life is how you get bigger and better yeilds/fruits/etc. this is on the same wave length(but very very different) as hydroponics, alot of people will say why bother when fanning, or in hydro's case a simple pot and watering can work. This is true it does work, but if you can get a couple extra grams(or more) of what ever mushroom strain your growing it would be 100% worth it imho

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures