Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinealternatereality
Explorer
Female

Loc: Washington
Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others?
    #11342130 - 10/29/09 12:01 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Lately I really feel like being smart is a disadvantage. Maybe it's because I haven't met the right people, but to be honest...all of my friends right now are your typical stoners. I feel like I have to dumb things down for them all the time. I'm constantly revising what I say so that they'll understand. I always find myself searching for smaller words for things or just deciding not to bother telling them something at all because I know they won't get it.

Sometimes it's kind of nice to know that you're the most intelligent in a group of people.
The person who I hang out with most these days always introduces me to his friends as the smartest girl he knows, or his little drug encyclopedia haha. And that's really flattering and everything, but I don't know, I feel isolated in some ways. I don't have anyone that I can really talk to about the sort of things I think about. I don't want to always have to explain everything. I wish I could have someone around that would just...get it.

Anyone else feel like that?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: alternatereality]
    #11342137 - 10/29/09 12:02 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Perpetually.

Invisiblethescientist

Loc: Dade County
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: alternatereality]
    #11342142 - 10/29/09 12:02 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

go to college and get a graduate degree

OfflineWapakz
1000 Needles
 User Gallery

Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: thescientist]
    #11342145 - 10/29/09 12:03 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I'm in university and I'm STILL surrounded by idiots.

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: thescientist]
    #11342154 - 10/29/09 12:04 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

thescientist said:
go to college and get a graduate degree

Pending.

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

#11342168 - 10/29/09 12:05 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I used to feel like that

then I sort of just stopped trying.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

OfflineSolemente
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: memes]
    #11342174 - 10/29/09 12:06 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Ya, kinda the reason why I'm moving to a different state later this week. I really doubt that any other place is much different though. I can't seem to find people that I can really connect with, ya know?

Invisibledr_gonz

#11342187 - 10/29/09 12:07 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

alternatereality said:
I feel isolated in some ways. I don't have anyone that I can really talk to about the sort of things I think about.

What is it you think about?

Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: laserpig]
    #11342199 - 10/29/09 12:09 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i feel like that all the time

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male

Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: laserpig]
    #11342214 - 10/29/09 12:11 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i hate it when i try to have an intellectual conversation with somebody and they just look back with a confused stare:facepalm:

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

OfflineMykologist
Often too lazy to post...
Male

Loc: I'm still here...
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: Wapakz]
    #11342215 - 10/29/09 12:11 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I've hung out in some pretty awful situations :nonono: My closest friends are those who are closest in intellect to myself. We're all above average, but we definitely know and often associate with people smarter than us.

One thing I've learned through reading books/knowing and talking to intelligent people: the world sorta sucks, but being "aware" also has it's merits. Though you notice and understand some of the more shitty aspects of life, you're able to cope and come to a greater sense of peace if you're smarter.

I guess it's all relative. You can be dumb and oblivious or smart and wise. Either way, most people seem to find peace, and that's all that matters.
Myk

--------------------

Where would you rather be?

OfflinePoptart
 User Gallery

Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: myco_mikey_mo]
    #11342235 - 10/29/09 12:13 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I usually find the only people who can keep up with what I'm talking about are those who have done heavier psychedelics like dmt.

Everyone else just looks at me like I'm either a genius or I'm fucking nuts.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: Mykologist]
    #11342246 - 10/29/09 12:15 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mykologist said:
I guess it's all relative. You can be dumb and oblivious or smart and wise. Either way, most people seem to find peace, and that's all that matters.
Myk

For the motherfucking win.  I've never heard anything so glorious in my life.  Well done sir :cheers:

Invisibledr_gonz

Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: memes]
    #11342266 - 10/29/09 12:17 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:
Quote:

Mykologist said:
Myk

For the motherfucking win.  I've never heard anything so glorious in my life.  Well done sir :cheers:

I can dig that.

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: Mykologist]
    #11342280 - 10/29/09 12:18 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I recently just kind of quit reading good books because there is no one near that I can even discuss the ideas with. It was really bumming me out. Felt really alienated and it depressed me. Not that I belong to Mensa or anything it's just that my peers have only one neat thing to talk about and that neat thing is whatever childish crude thing that pops into their heads at the time. I completely understand.

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Invisibledr_gonz

Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11342297 - 10/29/09 12:21 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

dude fuck that. you should read for yourself. don't stop reading on account of not being able to discuss it with people.

discuss it on the shroomery!

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #11342307 - 10/29/09 12:23 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

alternatereality said:
Sometimes it's kind of nice to know that you're the most intelligent in a group of people.
The person who I hang out with most these days always introduces me to his friends as the smartest girl he knows, or his little drug encyclopedia haha. And that's really flattering and everything, but I don't know, I feel isolated in some ways. I don't have anyone that I can really talk to about the sort of things I think about. I don't want to always have to explain everything. I wish I could have someone around that would just...get it.

Anyone else feel like that?

No, I don't hang out with stupid people.  Perhaps you're just an underachiever?

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

OfflineChubba
Vape hungry

#11342313 - 10/29/09 12:23 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Not really.

I just live inside my own head and on the outside I just do actions (whether it's socializing, work, study, gaming, music etc.)

Living in society and being social for me is just a giant game that I enjoy playing and that I believe I'm particulary good at, it's in no way a representation of what's inside my mind or how I truely feel.

I rarely feel human, I just go about my life... I don't mind it, there's a lot of enjoyable stuff to experience.

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: Chubba]
    #11342355 - 10/29/09 12:28 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I haven't found a forum where it would fit. And a lot of the stuff I really like to read is old. Hemingway, Dickens, Huxley, etc. Stuff I should have read in school but half assed it. Now I find that I enjoy it immensely and marvel at the increased vocabulary skills that simply reading will give you.
I haven't quit completely, I just don't get as excited about it. I DO however still love it.

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

OfflinePoptart
 User Gallery

Re: Do you ever feel like your intelligence separates you from others? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11342376 - 10/29/09 12:32 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Btw I'm looking for something to read. Preferably something about consciousness or psychology something like Carl Jung.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub