Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Petri Dish, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekickbackbro
Mr.
Male User Gallery

1 week in and setting up my lab feedback? FC and LC questions
    #11340638 - 10/28/09 08:04 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Hi all!
This site has totally helped me understand something that I thought that initially seemed way to clinical.  I'm super stoked to get moving and appreciate all of the info you all put out there for peeps like me.  So here's where I'm at.  I've decided against the PF cake method.  I'm a fairly smart fella and quite good at following instructions so I've jumped right into a LC to Grain to Bulk Sub. using a few various Teks.

I fashioned 24 QT jars with self healing injection ports using RVT and also knocked in an air exchange hole that I've covered with micropore tape and a tyvek cirlce over the lid and under the ring.  12 of the jars I used for LC.  6 LC's were made using Karo that I PC'd for 21 min at 15psi, 6LC's were made using dextrose only, no malt that I also PC'd for 21 min at 15 PSI.  The Karo solution is 4-5% and the Dextrose is closer to 2.5%.  I was unsure about conversions and solution percentages but have a better grasp on it now.  I used spore syringes on 11/24 and put 1-1.5cc of Cambo, KS, and Kreeper into 2 of each LC solution.  Those are inccubating in a TIT at 81-84 degrees. (cooler at night) They all have remained clear and when swirled there looks to be little dust or stringy white snow particles floating around and the much smaller ones that make the liquid appear a bit "see-through white" or cloudy but not milky.

I prepared 12 of the remaining wide mouth QT jars with rye grain. I followed a Tek verbatim,  (rinsing, soaking, simmering, PC'ing) Those are ready to be knocked up.

Now I'm working on my stealth FC room.  Here's a few pics.

This is a deep side by side closet that I've installed shelves in.  On the bottom I'll store my grain and incubators (one for grain one for bulk sub in bags). On the two shelves above that I plan on making 4 poor mans FC's using the Tek and clear longer tubs, perlite, aqua pumps and stones and water heaters. 1 pump will control two FC's. and I'll have four total.  Inside of the FC's I'll use bins filled with 4-6" of cased Bulk Sub.

Does anyone have any feedback on these FC's?  I miffed on the Malt/Dex and only used Dex should they be fine? What issues will I have with my multi-spore LC's?

Thanks!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Cat Bowling

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1 week in and setting up my lab feedback? FC and LC questions [Re: kickbackbro]
    #11341215 - 10/28/09 09:38 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Biggest thing I can point is out is that you're incubating them at too high a temp.  Drop it down to 68-74 range for better results.

Optimal temps for incubation is 75-81 but you have to account for higher internal temps due to metabolism and the jar insulating the heat.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlinekickbackbro
Mr.
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 week in and setting up my lab feedback? FC and LC questions [Re: Spongiform]
    #11341404 - 10/28/09 10:07 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks,

I read somewhere that 86 was the best temp for incubation, and I was trying to run at a steady 84 in order to account for the 2 degree difference inside the jar.  Any thoughts on the dextrose only LC?

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Cat Bowling

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1 week in and setting up my lab feedback? FC and LC questions [Re: kickbackbro]
    #11341577 - 10/28/09 10:36 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

That's old, outdated info. 

The dextrose should be fine.  I know people have used both malt/dex, malt or dex alone with good results.

Sounds like you made quite a bit too.  1 quart jar filled halfway up is enough to inoculate 100+  quart jars.

Here's a good quote on the temp subject:

Quote:

I've been saying that for years. My petri dish studies a few years ago showed that cubensis reaches peak linear growth between 75F and 80F, then is flat until 83F, where it starts to slow down. Mycelium at 86F is growing at about 2/3 the speed of mycelium at 80F. In addition, the higher temps tend to stimulate thermophic molds and bacteria. There's LOT'S of good information in TMC, but that 86F figure is one of the errors. When I did it there were ten petri dishes colonizing at each temperature, in separate containers. I went through well over 200 petri dishes of mycelium for no other reason than to determine the temperature that stimulates fastest growth, other factors being equal. That was a far more controlled study than the one reported over 20 years ago. If someone else wants to repeat the experiment, go for it. I consider the matter closed. Paul doesn't even repeat that 86F figure, which someone else sent him. Bottom line was the tubs that had petri dishes between 75F and 81F showed no difference in growth. Below 75F, and above 81F growth slowed down, with a rapid drop in colonization speed below 70F and above 83F. At 86F, a petri dish would be 2/3 colonized, while its sister at 75F would be fully colonized. Rate of growth at 86F was exactly the same as rate of growth at 72F, with fastest growth as said, occurring between 75F and 81F. Note that these tests were for linear growth in the two-dimensional plane of a petri dish. In three-dimensional space such as in grain jars or bulk substrates, the effects of thermogenesis need to be considered, so ambient temps should be lowered slightly to compensate.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlinekickbackbro
Mr.
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 week in and setting up my lab feedback? FC and LC questions [Re: Spongiform]
    #11345221 - 10/29/09 03:10 PM (8 years, 27 days ago)

Thanks for the quote, that sounds logical and I'm not one to argue with tested science.

I dropped the heater in the TIT to 73 and left it unplugged for the night in order to let the heat inside drop.  It's now in the optimal zone.  Yeah, the dex seems to be working just fine, in some jars it's working better than the Karo. Seems like from what I'm reading is that the malt/dex combo colonizes the quickest.  Alternatively the dex only LC is really clear and easy to watch it mature.

Yeah, I sure did put a lot together, I was using the law of averages and thought I'd try two different Teks and I should have at least 1 out of 12 due well. 

Poor mans pod?

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #11345417 - 10/29/09 03:41 PM (8 years, 27 days ago)

You may want to raise the whole setup by one shelf height so that nothing sits on or near the floor.  That's where all the contams hang out and party.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Bulk Grow Substrate Calculator Spreadsheet - Download :heartpump: Thread:mushroom2:
*Downloaded over 3,000 times!* Also try the DMT Changa Mix Calculator

Stonesun's Amazing Sclerotia/Stones Guide:mushroom2:Vasodilator List:mushroom2:Niacinamide - reduce trip anxiety

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Petri Dish, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation