Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecl29420
Stranger
New Shroomer, Help with drying?
    #11340474 - 10/28/09 07:37 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

Hey guys, this is my first post so please forgive me if i do anything wrong.

Anyway, i went shrooming my second time today and found about 100g fresh cubes (Texas). I want to have them for halloween which is saturday but last time i tried to dry cubes they got maggots. Should i just keep them fresh? Or if i should dry them, what is the best method. I dont have a fan but i have a blow dryer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblackstatis
sycoknot

Re: New Shroomer, Help with drying? [Re: cl29420]
    #11340519 - 10/28/09 07:43 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

blow dryer...  :hehehe:  (catching breath) ...Oh boy... uhhh... thats cute.  OK.  don't do that.  use the search feature that this site offers for the most extensive collection of suggestions you could ever dream of. 

however, with no fan or dehydrator(i'm guessing)  just leave them out in open air.  if they're half dry on sat, oh well.  just make sure you way out what you want to eat on sat.  say you wan to eat 2 grams, make sure you have 20 wet grams set aside as a dose.  just to be sure you don't over or under dose.  you only have 10 dried out grams there too.  yes 100 wet is about 10 dry.

OfflineRichard
Stranger
    #11340532 - 10/28/09 07:45 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

Whenever i've had fresh shrooms i've laid them out on kitchen roll on things like the back of tv's, in airing cupboards, on amplifiers or just lay them on a table if you have one and put a couple of desk lamps over them and they will dry suitably. (Won't work if you have energy saving bulbs though!)

Then i just keep them in a sealed plastic container with a silica gell sachet.

There's no specific how really...

How did they get maggots before? Did you dry them outside?

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: New Shroomer, Help with drying? [Re: blackstatis]
    #11340566 - 10/28/09 07:52 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

Unless the maggots get them first. If they are definitelly going to be consumed on the weekend and you suspect that there might be maggots or bugs in them, dry them for a short time in the oven at low heat (like 2-3 hours at 100-120°F). Don't worry, that won't affect the potency, but it will cause the bugs to flee. Then cut them into small chunks and boil them into a tea for about an hour. Let it cool and keep it in the fridge until the weekend comes. I don't even bother eating the chunks, I just strain them out. After an hour of simmering most of the active compound will be in the liquid anyways. Full potency, no bugs. Win-win.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Invisiblelqdtrance
Hunter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NY
Re: New Shroomer, Help with drying? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11340780 - 10/28/09 08:29 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

I also put mine on top of the cable box or something similar. The heat coming out will dry them. i place them directly on top of the vents, no paper. They usually are dry the next evening or so.

--------------------
Pandha Piranha.

OfflineRichard
Stranger
Re: New Shroomer, Help with drying? [Re: lqdtrance]
    #11340891 - 10/28/09 08:45 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

lqdtrance said:
I also put mine on top of the cable box or something similar. The heat coming out will dry them. i place them directly on top of the vents, no paper. They usually are dry the next evening or so.

It's worth noting that if you are going to do this on things like amplifiers e.t.c make sure that they won't overheat.
You'll most likely be fine but its just worth keeping an eye on things that run quite hot that need ventilation otherwise it might damage the electrics!

cable boxes, tv's e.t.c will be fine but things like hi-fi amps you need to watch, especially if you run your speakers loud like i do and they get quite warm anyway!

Offlinecl29420
Stranger
Re: New Shroomer, Help with drying? [Re: Richard]
    #11341768 - 10/28/09 11:11 PM (8 years, 23 days ago)

Ok thanks for the advice everybody, but is it better to leave them out open air or wrap them in a towel or tshirt or something.

Offlineliquidpoop
novice shroomer
Male

Loc: uk
    #11351918 - 10/30/09 03:19 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

if your worried about flies gettin at em just put a sive(sp?) like you use for draining rice etc over the top and stick em under a lamp or leave em in the open (under the sive), ive just been puttin my libs on newspaper on top of my kitchen cupboards dry in like 24hours but i dont know how well cubes dry...... libs r easy :smile:

--------------------
I saw it was and it wasnt, i thought i had but i hadnt. i felt i could... but i couldnt... holy shiii man these are f*kin strong, i think ill just sit here till its over!

OfflineAnthony917
why dont we do it in the road
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: New Shroomer, Help with drying? [Re: liquidpoop]
    #11352195 - 10/30/09 04:05 PM (8 years, 21 days ago)

To dry them, I lay them out single file on a towel on my floor, and place a fan blowing on high over them. I do this for about 24-36 hours, then gather them all up and toss them into a case with a layer of desiccant at the bottom of it.
Basically I put a thin foam layer over the desiccant, toss the shrooms on top of the foam, seal up the case and by the next day they're bone dry and ready to roll.

If you're eating them tomorrow, storing them in a paper bag in the fridge would work. Or you could (as GK said) stick them in the oven on very low temperatures. Also, if you're worried about bugs, they hate smoke, so kick up your BBQ or start a fire and hover the shrooms above the smoke, the bugs will run for the hills.

--------------------
Prisoner#1 said: I got my ass kicked by a 9yo when I was 17
Trippin? Click Me

What is life? I'm tired of life...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification