Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAgallochisntafungi
Stranger

Hunting question's.
    #11338680 - 10/28/09 01:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hello, and a wonderful meet to all of you!

This is would be my first post, and everywhere I look, I can tell you that I can't find any answers to my questions.

So I have just a few, and I have to say, I really did try too find the answers for them.

I have some wood's behind where I live, not gigantic or anything, but I went out there today and did my first Mushroom Hunt. Now, i didn't pick any, I just wanted to get a feel for the forest, and I marked off any area's that had some mushroom's growing that I felt would be important to come back too.

Now, my first question is this: Will I be able to find any useful mushrooms in the woods? I keep hearing people downing me for this, and say that Cow pastures are my best bet. I leave near a beach, no farms near me for miles!

Now, I know that the mushroom's that grow in my state are Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Panaeolus cinctulus, Psilocybe caerulipes, Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe semilanceata, and I can't really find a lot of info on them themselves, so I was wondering, am I looking in the right places? I look around pine tree's, which has been were I find the most, and any area near dead wood. Any tips?

It's been raining for the past 2 day's, and it's now done as of several hours ago. How long should I wait before I go in search of said mushrooms?

And finally, can I find any of the types of mushroom's that I listed growing in a yard? Near a house, to be more precise.

Thank's for anything given back to me, and I DO apologize if I somehow messed up a rule, although I don't see which one I would be breaking, I truly felt like I was posting accurately!

--------------------
" We are the Music Makers. We are the Dreamers of the Dreams."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMystery420
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Hunting question's. [Re: Agallochisntafungi]
    #11338717 - 10/28/09 01:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If your only looking in woods you need to be going to a specific type of wood for that species. Like Psilocybe semilanceata you wont find in the woods but you might find something live wavy caps.

--------------------
"I'm the one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want."
-Jimi Hendrix

So fuck ya'll all of ya'll If ya'll don't like me blow me

OfflineAnthony917
why dont we do it in the road
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #11338758 - 10/28/09 01:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Agallochisntafungi said:
Hello, and a wonderful meet to all of you!

This is would be my first post, and everywhere I look, I can tell you that I can't find any answers to my questions.

So I have just a few, and I have to say, I really did try too find the answers for them.

I have some wood's behind where I live, not gigantic or anything, but I went out there today and did my first Mushroom Hunt. Now, i didn't pick any, I just wanted to get a feel for the forest, and I marked off any area's that had some mushroom's growing that I felt would be important to come back too.

Now, my first question is this: Will I be able to find any useful mushrooms in the woods? I keep hearing people downing me for this, and say that Cow pastures are my best bet. I leave near a beach, no farms near me for miles!

Now, I know that the mushroom's that grow in my state are Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Panaeolus cinctulus, Psilocybe caerulipes, Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe semilanceata, and I can't really find a lot of info on them themselves, so I was wondering, am I looking in the right places? I look around pine tree's, which has been were I find the most, and any area near dead wood. Any tips?

It's been raining for the past 2 day's, and it's now done as of several hours ago. How long should I wait before I go in search of said mushrooms?

And finally, can I find any of the types of mushroom's that I listed growing in a yard? Near a house, to be more precise.

Thank's for anything given back to me, and I DO apologize if I somehow messed up a rule, although I don't see which one I would be breaking, I truly felt like I was posting accurately!

Welcome to the Shroomery!
If you're hunting for edibles, you can find them out in the forest, however if you're looking for actives (depending on your location) the forest isn't the best place to look.

Since you say cubensis grow in your area, that's why people keep telling you to check cow pastures. Cubensis grow off of cow dung, and the only place to find cow dung is...well, around cows! Same with liberty caps.

You say you live near the beach, but it might be worth it for you to take a drive inland a little ways and see if you can find any farms/cow pastures and such.

Your best bets are probably gonna be cubes/liberty caps.I'm unsure about the rest of the species you listed, but cubes/liberty caps don't grow in or anywhere near houses/lawns.

Good luck hunting.

--------------------
Prisoner#1 said: I got my ass kicked by a 9yo when I was 17
Trippin? Click Me

What is life? I'm tired of life...

Stranger

Re: Hunting question's. [Re: Anthony917]
    #11338842 - 10/28/09 02:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you. Actives being, hrm, the ones that are use for a recreational use should I say? And not the cooking type. Just making sure I got that right.

When i say i am near the beach, i am about a 30 min drive away. Im alright finding mushrooms right now that are poisonous, or edible for cooking, because it helps me identify them. Plan on going out and buying a book soon.

My boss own's a farm, but in the sense of crops, not animals. I guess I can try finding a pasture to look.

on another note, I find it funny that wavy cap's are wavy, yet Wikipedia says the caps are flat.

--------------------

OfflineShrew
Nub
Male

Re: Hunting question's. [Re: Anthony917]
    #11338869 - 10/28/09 02:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

one thing he forgot to mention is that the Cubes will grow ON the cow dung. The Liberties Won't be ON Cow dung but Around it, and in places that it has been.

--------------------
Coprinus Micaceus
Armillaria Nabsnona

Stranger

#11339292 - 10/28/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That's good to know, now to figure out how to find a pasture near me as well as how I can go about asking if I may be so obliged to go into their field. I have no problem asking why, I am worried about the "Why" question, ha.

Just got back from my second scavenge in the forest. Seem to be an abundance of all white Mushrooms. I have seen some with red tops, these of course, I have gone ahead and avoided these, know thing that they are not anything that I can really use.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #11339344 - 10/28/09 03:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Now, I know that the mushroom's that grow in my state are Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Panaeolus cinctulus, Psilocybe caerulipes, Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe semilanceata

You live in a state that has Psilocybe cubensis AND Psilocybe semilanceata? I somehow doubt that. The former are a (sub)tropical species, Psilocybe semilanceata is a moderate/cold climate species. Care to name the state?

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Hunting question's. [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11339371 - 10/28/09 03:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nice catch.  He's probably mistaken.  That happened to me once.  It was when I thought I was wrong.

--------------------

Stranger

#11339463 - 10/28/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Virginia, and I know these are in my state because of this site, ha.

--------------------

Stranger

#11339510 - 10/28/09 03:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I wanna fix something I just said. I shouldn't say I KNOW taht they are here becaus eof this site, let me change that to I am fairly confident that they are in my state due to this site, and it's high regards of being reliable from friends.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

#11339511 - 10/28/09 03:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

That's interesting. Who told you that Psilocybe semilanceata grow in Virginia?

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Stranger

#11339524 - 10/28/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11339569 - 10/28/09 03:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Both species grow there, but they are both very rare.

Psilocybe semilanceata is listed in growing in Virginia by A Worldwide Distribution of the Neurotropic Fungi, which means there is a herbarium deposit to back that up.  They do not list P. cubensis, but they have been found there by people in this forum.

Stranger

#11339596 - 10/28/09 03:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Any idea of what active's I can find? And what's the best place TOO look? I would prefer looking in woods, seeing as there are more around me than a cow pasture, but I may be able to one day go ask for a hunt into a cow pasture.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Re: Hunting question's. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11339597 - 10/28/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, you Americans sure know better than me, it still strikes me as odd. I would still doubt that they share habitats in the same geographical latitude. Maybe P. cubensis in the far south and P. semilanceata in the far north of the Virginias, but in the same pasture potentially? I would still dispute that.

--------------------

Stranger

#11339642 - 10/28/09 03:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have not gone out to a pasture yet, I have just ventured into a small wood's behind me. I'm not suspecting to find any Active in my woods, although one can always hope.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11339647 - 10/28/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You will find active Gymnopilus in the woods and active Panaeolus cinctulus in your lawns and in piles of horse dung.

Stranger

Re: Hunting question's. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11339691 - 10/28/09 03:55 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
You will find active Gymnopilus in the woods and active Panaeolus cinctulus in your lawns and in piles of horse dung.

Thanks Alan! I have a general idea what I am looking for active wise in the woods now. I will use the specs in a journal that I can use from Wikipedia, as well as pictures, If I beleive they may be of either type, I will spore print them, then post some ID requests up here to make sure they are what they are.

I'm presuming off the info that I know, I hope I am correct, that I will be looking for Panaeolus cinctulus around composite piles, which I presume would be rotting tree's, and the same for Gymnopilus luteofolius?

Offlinevabluefooter
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Eastern Virginia
    #11340099 - 10/28/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

German Kahuna said:
Ok, you Americans sure know better than me, it still strikes me as odd. I would still doubt that they share habitats in the same geographical latitude. Maybe P. cubensis in the far south and P. semilanceata in the far north of the Virginias, but in the same pasture potentially? I would still dispute that.

i live in southeastern virginia, as well.  Our summers are hot (85 - 100F) and humid, and our winters are cool (30 - 50F) and equally humid.  depending on what time of year you look we have conditions suitable to both species. although i have never found either one.  gymnopilus is probably the best bet for this time of year.

Stranger

Re: Hunting question's. [Re: vabluefooter]
    #11340470 - 10/28/09 05:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

vabluefooter said:
Quote:

German Kahuna said:

i live in southeastern virginia, as well.  Our summers are hot (85 - 100F) and humid, and our winters are cool (30 - 50F) and equally humid.  depending on what time of year you look we have conditions suitable to both species. although i have never found either one.  gymnopilus is probably the best bet for this time of year.

Nice, I am a while form the ocean front, which causes a problem, because of the whole being no where near pastures. Thus why I am happy to know that i can find gymnopilus in the woods!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder