Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineemick
Stranger
 User Gallery
grains all PCd--now need an LC--fastest way?
    #11340356 - 10/28/09 07:19 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I borrowed a PC from a friend to do some PF jars and while I had it, thought I'd do some grain jars as well.  Have a bunch of WBS qts all PCd and cooling, but I may have gotten a little ahead of myself--I need something to knock them up with before the jars go bad (don't know how long they'll last--maybe it's not all that big a rush).  As I see it, here are my options:

1)  Spore syringe.  I have a couple 10cc spore syringes of strains I haven't started yet.  But I Don't think a syringe or two is going to be enough to knock up all my qts (a dozen or so)--don't you need 5cc spore solution for each qt of grains?  If so, I have enough to do 4 qts.  Besides, if I use the syringes on an untried tek (grains are new for me), and it doesn't work, then I'm left with nothing to continue the strain and just have to buy more syringes.

2)  Use spore solution to make LC using karo tek.  I've read the karo teks which describe making a LC by injecting spores into karo/water and then using this solution to knock up the grain jars.  But if I do this, don't I have to incubate the karo jars for a few days before using the LC to knock up the grains?  Will the grain jars last that long?  Do I want to get them into the fridge while I wait, or does it matter?

3)  Make Mycellium syringe using exising colonized cake.  I have some fully colonized PF cakes still in the jars.  I've read in a tek that I can shoot up the PF jar with karo/water solution, shake to loosen the myc, and then withdraw the liquid myc solution back into a syringe and use that to shoot up the grain jars.  If I do this, do I have to incubate the syringe full of myc solution before injecting the grains?

4)  crumble a pf cake into my grain jars.  How much of the cake to I put in each jar?  a piece?  a bunch?

Once I get my grains going, I want to G2G on the next batch, but I just have to figure out what to hit these up with now that I have em cooked

Ideas or advice?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: grains all PCd--now need an LC--fastest way? [Re: emick]
    #11340440 - 10/28/09 07:30 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

1. you would need 2cc to 3cc of spore solution from your syringes to knock up 1 quart jar.
you do the math.

2. It will take more than just a few days to colonize an LC.
I suggest reading a LC tek.

3. You would never shoot up the PF jar with karo/water solution.
Sterile water <- Yes you can!~
Then withdraw the liquid myc solution back into a syringe and use that to shoot up the grain jars.
and No you don't have to incubate the syringe full of myc solution before injecting the grains.
You can inoculate right after taking the LC out of the jar.

4. If you have a flowhood or a glove box you can.
You would use a couple spoonfuls for each quart jar.

please read some teks!~

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinesixletterscurvy
User of Search Engine
Male User Gallery

Re: grains all PCd--now need an LC--fastest way? [Re: Roadkill]
    #11340485 - 10/28/09 07:39 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

You can wait a week or more for lc to colonize and go that route.

You could also inoculate with the spores. Once you have fully colonized material, make some "mycelium water" (do a search) and use it like you would lc.

If its only a quart of grain, it should colonize fast and be ready to use to make mycelium water (which can be used more or less instantly) faster than it would take to make lc the way your talking about doing it.

You could also inoculate the rest with a grain to grain transfer, but that is probably the last option you would want to look at.

--------------------
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
-HST

Edited by sixletterscurvy (10/28/09 07:40 PM)

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: grains all PCd--now need an LC--fastest way? [Re: sixletterscurvy]
    #11340546 - 10/28/09 07:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i only use 1cc per qt. of wbs. usually get 100% in 20 - 28 days. :super:

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11340649 - 10/28/09 08:06 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Divide the total amount of CC's you have by the number of jars.  that is how much to put in each one..

You could even store the PC'd jars you have right now for enough time to order another syringe and inoculate. making an LC might be stretching it. :shrug:

I have a jar sitting in my drawer right now that was a control jar from a batch of WBS I did 5 months ago, I did everything except inoculate it.  There is no growth in the jar; it may be pretty dry though.  I should inoculate it tonight just to see what happens.

Offlineemick
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: grains all PCd--now need an LC--fastest way? [Re: artizen]
    #11340676 - 10/28/09 08:12 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the feedback

Quote:

3. You would never shoot up the PF jar with karo/water solution.
Sterile water <- Yes you can!~
Then withdraw the liquid myc solution back into a syringe and use that to shoot up the grain jars.
and No you don't have to incubate the syringe full of myc solution before injecting the grains.
You can inoculate right after taking the LC out of the jar.

Roadkill--here's the tek that describes injecting karo/water into a pf jar to make mycellium water.  http://www.shroomery.org/67/Poor-Mans-Mycelium-Syringe-Tek

The tek further instructs to incubate the syringe for several days before using.  But it sounds like what you and others are saying is that I can skip the karo/water and just hit the pf jar with sterile water sans karo, then immediately use the myc water to hit up my jars?  If so, this sounds like the solution I'm looking for.

question on the amount of liquid to add to the quarts--teks seem to vary in the amount of solution they recommend adding from 1 to 5cc.  If I'm using a myc water solution, does more myc water = faster colonization?  And if so, how much can I add before i have to worry about adversely changing the H20 content of the jar?

Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11340687 - 10/28/09 08:14 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

wait... they're PFTek jars?  thread title says grains. 

that link is similar to a Grain LC

Edited by cyb3rtr0n (10/28/09 08:18 PM)

Offlineemick
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: grains all PCd--now need an LC--fastest way? [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #11340724 - 10/28/09 08:20 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

cyb3rtr0n --have qts of PCd WBS that I need to knock up.  Also have some colonized PF jars that are what I now think are my best option to use as a source of innoculant (myc water)

Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11340735 - 10/28/09 08:22 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

yea, I re-read it..  You PC'd the jars anyhow, you should be able to buy some time.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation