Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekanglow
Stranger with Candy
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
New to mushrooms, but not to gardening
    #11338745 - 10/28/09 03:55 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hello All!

This morning I made my first purchase from Spore Works.  I went ahead and ordered the Trick or Treat Special based on the fine selection folks have received in the previous years.  After everything I've read, I really hope I get some cyans in the mix!  I believe I would also be very interesting in trying to grow some edibles since I love the variety of ways they can be prepared.  I also purchased the Our Choice 4-pack. I feel very confident about everything I have read.  I didn't really want to wrack my brain trying to decide which strains to start with, so I thought I'd let Spore Works decide for me. I'm going to use the PF Tek to start with, but I already anticipate moving to a monotub once I'm comfortable and able to do things efficiently. 

I just was curious and had a few questions for you guys:

1) With what strain did you start?

2) Did you start with a shotgun or a different style terrarium?

Thanks!

--------------------
This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Inappropriate behavior.  We do not allow this type of behavior anywhere on this site.  This is your FINAL WARNING.

Also, if you believe that this is really a closed thread, you need to take a closer look...  It's still open.  This is just a signature.

Edited by kanglow (11/01/09 05:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebootedboy
SpaceCowboy
 User Gallery

Re: New to mushrooms, but not to gardening [Re: kanglow]
    #11338819 - 10/28/09 04:03 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The strain really does not matter, a cube is a cube is a cube. PF tek is an excellent way to start as well. I started using the shotgun terrarium and still use it to fruit trays and experimental cakes for isolation of genes and such. You will love your shotgun, it is pratically maintenance free, just spray once or twice a day and fan. Check this out for a good starting point.

www.mushroomvideos.com

--------------------
Always keepin' one in the chamber

Offlineboomsaway
F N G

Re: New to mushrooms, but not to gardening [Re: bootedboy]
    #11338839 - 10/28/09 04:07 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

if you have a pc, go straight to grains.

i never did any cakes.

although my friend has some going. i like to think grains are faster and much better yeilding

EDIT:
Hah forgot to answer the questions.

1- i did Hawaiian's for my first run, and they are my fav to date still.
  (they are ralphs hawaiians tho, not the PESH)
2- did WBS cased in a shotty. had great yeilds

--------------------
So, smoking pot = "child endangerment." Storming a home with guns, then firing bullets into the family pets as a child looks on = necessary police procedures to ensure everyone's safety.  -Radley Balko

Edited by boomsaway (10/28/09 04:10 PM)

Offlinekanglow
Stranger with Candy
Male User Gallery

Re: New to mushrooms, but not to gardening [Re: boomsaway]
    #11338881 - 10/28/09 04:14 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Cool. Thank You, boomsaway.  I'll keep that in mind. I think I'm going to do the PF-Tek for now since I unfortunately do not have a PC.  I am currently using a Mac.  lol jk jk...

But seriously, I plan on buying a PC as soon as I have the cash available.  I've already done quite a bit of research on the PF tek and I already feel comfortable with that.  Once I have a good grasp, I will move onto grains.

--------------------

Reason:
Inappropriate behavior.  We do not allow this type of behavior anywhere on this site.  This is your FINAL WARNING.

Also, if you believe that this is really a closed thread, you need to take a closer look...  It's still open.  This is just a signature.

Offlineboomsaway
F N G

#11338902 - 10/28/09 04:17 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

go buy one from walmart, use it, take it back the next day and tell em it was too small :wink:

clean of course heh

--------------------
So, smoking pot = "child endangerment." Storming a home with guns, then firing bullets into the family pets as a child looks on = necessary police procedures to ensure everyone's safety.  -Radley Balko

Offlinekanglow
Stranger with Candy
Male User Gallery

#11338933 - 10/28/09 04:21 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

boomsaway said:
go buy one from walmart, use it, take it back the next day and tell em it was too small :wink:

clean of course heh

Good thinking!  I think I will do that right before the start of my first batch! :thumbup:

--------------------

Reason:

Offlinefig
spore collector
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: usa east TN blue ridge mt...
    #11339456 - 10/28/09 05:21 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

start with brf cakes, then start casing the cakes, then move to grains that should give u enough time to get use to sterile procedures. and cubes will eat anything and are usually pretty forgiving. also as far as eatables they most will grow on brf cakes too with little modification.
but grains do produce far more. good luck, read all the info u can find and print every cap!!

Offlinekanglow
Stranger with Candy
Male User Gallery

Re: New to mushrooms, but not to gardening [Re: fig]
    #11339654 - 10/28/09 05:49 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fig said:
start with brf cakes, then start casing the cakes, then move to grains that should give u enough time to get use to sterile procedures. and cubes will eat anything and are usually pretty forgiving. also as far as eatables they most will grow on brf cakes too with little modification.
but grains do produce far more. good luck, read all the info u can find and print every cap!!

casing and grains are still relatively new topics to me.  I found a few threads that will hopefully further explain the casing process to me.  I'm so excited!  I can't wait to enjoy the fruits of my labor.  Even though I haven't even received my syringes, so far my experience has been incredible, especially since there are so many kind folks to offer their input. 

Thanks!

--------------------

Reason:

InvisibleOverPopulation
Mycavelli

#11339959 - 10/28/09 06:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Booms, you're a genius. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
    #11340420 - 10/28/09 07:27 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

boomsaway said:

clean of course heh

LOL! I did that but ended up keeping the damn thing. It comes in handy for sterilizing small things like syringes, 1/2 pint jars, and various tools used for making tissue transfers.

Offlineboomsaway
F N G

Re: New to mushrooms, but not to gardening [Re: daytripper05]
    #11341371 - 10/28/09 10:02 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Actually i remember there being a whole thread dedicated to that at one point.
lemme see .....HERE it is.

that post is do able.

but really id rather have a big one, but if i want it, its online...

no scam there...

--------------------

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

Re: New to mushrooms, but not to gardening [Re: daytripper05]
    #11341394 - 10/28/09 10:06 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I started off with grains, perlite, vermiculite, and a shotgun. After plenty of disappointment, I finally got it down. Now I'm using poop, and I love it! my first successful grow was with Z-strains. They're fast and easy.:thumbup:

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation