Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCJCollin37
Gentleman & Scholar

Wtf should I do with my terrarium??
    #11338519 - 10/28/09 03:23 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Alright here's my dilemma:

I attempted to make a shotgun fc but didnt drill holes in the bottom due to stealth growing restrictions (on floor in closet). got about 10 1/2" holes on each big side with 5 holes on small sides and 2 holes on top. 2-3" perlite. I've only birthed one cake so far as a test run.

(before holes)

In another thread (posted yesterday) people told me this will not work because the air wont flow throught the perlite from holes underneath and i will run into humidity AND fae probs. Well, after reading construction for average man's terrarium, it seems like all these holes (for shotgun fc) arent even necessary. furthermore i just read a thread with a dude using an average man's terrarium, which is what i have plus holes, and his grow's workin alright...

I mist 4x a day, and fan 2x a day. 10/14 on/off light cycle. Should i cover all the holes officially making it an "average man's terrarium" or keep the mixed average man's/shotgun fc??? i dont have a hygrometer yet so idk if humidity's good or not yet but it appears to be good...

Any input is appreciated.

Edited by CJCollin37 (10/28/09 03:24 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Wtf should I do with my terrarium?? [Re: CJCollin37]
    #11338547 - 10/28/09 03:28 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

what is the temperature inside the FC with that light sitting on the lid?

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#11338550 - 10/28/09 03:28 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

first off, you need way more holes. Imagine a shotgun, now imagine what that would look like after you shoot it at it. There would be holes ALL over... Tons of tiny little holes.

All you need to do is put more holes in it, make sure your perlite is not too wet or too dry, and for god sakes, take that lamp OFF the plastic. Your going to have a fire in no time with that. Them bulbs get really hot. You dont need that much light anyway. Back the light off a bit and you will be good.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineCJCollin37
Gentleman & Scholar

Re: Wtf should I do with my terrarium?? [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11338622 - 10/28/09 03:37 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Idk the temp yet, still workin on a thermometer too haha (im kinda broke...priorities)

Nuzzle, since i dont have a legit shotgun setup, are more holes really necessary? Seeing as how avg mans fc has no holes at all i figured i'd be set. plus theyre bigger holes (does that make a diff?).

And the thing is, the lid is only translucent and blocks a good amount of light (prolly more than it seems in the pic). And the wattage is real low so i figured it'd be fine. after being on all night its not even hot anyway... So u sure about that considering what i told u now?

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#11338689 - 10/28/09 03:47 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I dont know anything about the avg mans fc... When I was new I did lots and lots of reading and found that the shotgun was the best route for me. It was easy, cheap and simple.

All I can give you advice on is stuff I have experience with.

I am not a fan of messing with any chance of a fire. If you can say with 100% certainty that light is not a fire hazard then keep it there. But in my opinion something that gets warm/hot should not be attached to something flamable. LoL

I would suggest putting more holes in the tub, make it a shotgun and follow the rest of the tek. I suggest this because I know it works. And it works well. :smile:

The bigger holes dont matter... Just put a shitload of holes throughout and you'll have fruits in no time.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineCJCollin37
Gentleman & Scholar

Re: Wtf should I do with my terrarium?? [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11338877 - 10/28/09 04:13 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Alright cool thanks for the input.
By the way avg mans terrarium = shotgun fc without holes. Apparently it works.

So you think my fc will work sitting on the floor with more holes huh?

(youre right about the fire hazard haha ill fix that)

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#11338904 - 10/28/09 04:17 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Yep, it will do just fine. I would say just put it up on something to get it like 2 feet off the ground. But that is your call. :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation