Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

Identification for some sorta Panaeolus?? With pics
    #11337652 - 10/28/09 01:14 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Found these among and or near some Pan Cyans on well cow grazing field. The stem originally looks redish white, bruises blue extremely fast where damage. Cone shaped when young, with the cap opening when older. Still waiting for the spore print, but i suspect that it might come out black or bluish black.

I dont think they are Pan Cyan, cause i found Pan Cyans growing around it and doesnt seem alike.

I hope i didnt miss out any important details, i will try to post a picture of the spore print as soon as i see some decent colouration on the paper. Anyone able to identify what i have found? Are they active? Will appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Identification for some sorta Panaeolus?? With pics [Re: carbonsteel]
    #11337995 - 10/28/09 02:05 PM (8 years, 28 days ago)

The ones with the blue bruising caps and stems are Panaeolus cyanescens.  The ones with the reddish stems that don't bruise blue are Panaeolus papilionaceus.

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

Re: Identification for some sorta Panaeolus?? With pics [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11343550 - 10/29/09 06:34 AM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks Alan, now i have a name: Panaeolus papilionaceus, but, i would like to clarify that the stem does bruise blue. Pretty extreme and fast also. So do you think its still Panaeolus papilionaceus? May i know if they are active also?

OfflinepsychedelicSLUG
ovoideocystidiata protector
Male User Gallery

Loc: NJ Flag
    #11343551 - 10/29/09 06:38 AM (8 years, 28 days ago)

mmm

--------------------

:sun:Variety is the spice of life!:sun:

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

Re: Identification for some sorta Panaeolus?? With pics [Re: psychedelicSLUG]
    #11343570 - 10/29/09 06:54 AM (8 years, 28 days ago)

Hi again guys, im going to try and describe it again.

Cap: The cap of the mushroom is greyish white. Cone shape cap. A number of my speciment have abit of spore drops on them, purpleish black. Nipple detected visually on younger speciment. Nipple can be felt on older speciment but not seen.

Stem: The join is right inside the cap of the mushroom. Seems to join pretty balance in the middle. Fresh stem is reddish, staining blue or was it black? pretty damn fast. Most of the speciments i have a around 4" to 5" long.

Gills: Looks more black than purple. Pretty fine lines.

Spore print: Purple-ish black.

Habitat: On cow grazed fields, growing around Pan Cyans. Location: South East Asia

PS: My last find about 1 month ago, i ate couple of these and Pan Cyan. Stupid i know, but pretty sure not posionous and even more assured since its Panaeolus species. But since i ate these with Pan Cyan, i do not know if they are active.

Panaeolus papilionaceus is one name i have gotten so far, any other suggestions? Thanks guys ^^

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11344019 - 10/29/09 10:35 AM (8 years, 27 days ago)

I've checked out on Panaeolus papilionaceus. Im no expert, but my speciment doesn't have the hallmarks of 'whitish toothmark on the edge of the cap'  Also, my cap speciments are of greyish brown colour, with redish brusing blue stem. Anyone one whos able to help? Thanks.

OfflinePurple_spore
Compulsively Skeptical OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: nor cal Flag
    #11344266 - 10/29/09 11:56 AM (8 years, 27 days ago)

Sometimes it washes off after a hard rain. The mushroom you have is part of a large group of panaeolus species complex, meaning it could be any number of almost identical mushrooms with maybe slight macro or microscopic features.
The mycologist on these forms get at least 50 of the same question a day "what kind of mushroom do i have?" when 75 percent of the time someone just asked the same question with the same mushroom an hour ago.
Honestly it doesn't really matter what kind of panaeolus you have, none of them are very good edibles, and only three that I know of grow in the united states are psychoactive.

--------------------
Safety first children :thumbup:

OfflinePurple_spore
Male User Gallery

Re: Identification for some sorta Panaeolus?? With pics [Re: Purple_spore]
    #11344280 - 10/29/09 12:01 PM (8 years, 27 days ago)

Oh sorry I just noticed you are in southeast asia! It's probably Copelandia cambodgeniensis or commonly known as panaeolus cambodgeniensis. I thought I saw blue stains on there.
It also could be Panaeolus tropicalis but it's hard to tell they all look very alike.

--------------------

Edited by Purple_spore (10/29/09 12:02 PM)

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11350262 - 10/30/09 08:17 AM (8 years, 27 days ago)

Thks for the suggested names, tropicalis matched some descriptions on my field guide, but im am starting to think that it might be mexicana as the description matched pretty well on my guide. Reddish stem being one of them.  Only problem, i have yet to across any articles claiming its existance in SEA. My guide mentioned that 'mexicana might be more widely distributed than reported' Wat u guys think?

Edited by carbonsteel (10/30/09 08:22 AM)

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11350737 - 10/30/09 11:27 AM (8 years, 26 days ago)

I have some new pics from the most recents finds, again growing close to Pan Cyans on well manured fields.

The fresh stems are clearly reddish on this pic, greyish cap. One of the speciments somewhere in the middle of the pic has a clear nipple.

The gills are blackish, yet again clear reddish stem bruising black? when damaged.

Acutely Conic shaped cap on younger speciments. Parabolic on older speciments,

Mexicana? Tropicalis? I used to previously no matter how dumbly took it together with Pan Cyans on number of occasions. Thats why i was not able to confirm if its acitve. I now have a small collection of these speciments and is planning to take about 1g tomorrow. I will post the trip or no trip i might or might not experience.

Meanwhile any more information will be very helpful. Thanks ^^

OfflinePurple_spore
Male User Gallery

#11350824 - 10/30/09 11:47 AM (8 years, 26 days ago)

With these new pics I believe you have at least two different kinds in your original photos. I'm going with the original Panaeolus sphinctrinus which is a synonym for Panaeolus papilionaceus and Panaeolus campanulatus.
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/panaeolussphinctrinus1.htm
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/panaeolus_papilionaceus.html
Look closely at the gills of the ones that are bruising and you will see the gills are not the same. The redish stems on those are most likely from drying.

p.s. you have really clean hand for a mushroom hunter.

--------------------

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

#11351124 - 10/30/09 01:04 PM (8 years, 26 days ago)

Thks again man and nice links, not sure if there is 2 species, but again im pretty new at this. All the stems of this speciment, unless bruised totally black? blue? are originally reddish to begin with when they are fresh.

If i post a subjective trip experience / potency report, would it help with the identification? I dont have to, i have tons of Pan Cyan from my finds. But i would really really like to know for sure what is the mushroom in question.

Offlinedonaldmalisoff
Stranger
    #11353559 - 10/30/09 07:54 PM (8 years, 26 days ago)

Hello,

Panaeolus mushrooms are difficult to distinguish from one another.  I have noticed that they are typically more potent than other mushrooms, in addition to having a different qualitative feel than cubensis, the other main species that I have been finding in Louisiana.  I have found many panaeolus that look similar to your mushrooms with a reddish stem and just assumed they were pan cyans and they were quite potent.  I am very interested in your subjective experience with these mushrooms alone.  The best mushrooms I ever had were found in Laos, and were some kind of panaeolus strain.  Enjoy,

-donald malisoff

Offlinecarbonsteel
Farmer Nub
 User Gallery

Re: Identification for some sorta Panaeolus?? With pics [Re: donaldmalisoff]
    #11355592 - 10/31/09 03:26 AM (8 years, 26 days ago)

Hi donald ^^ Hi Guys ^^

I am currently on the Panaeolus speciments. They are pretty good. Seems like im typing while floating on my chair LOL.  I took about 1.5g instead of 1g.  Yes, they are definately active. No doubt about that...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification