Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
FedEx/USPS/UPS employee's; share your experience
    #11239381 - 10/13/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Post or current employee's of FedEx, UPS or USPS. I'm wondering how things work behind the curtains the policies that they have, and how things are REALLY done that no one see's. I know there are lots of people who have worked with these companies and I'm rather curious as I'm sure lots of other people are.
Do they randomly search packages?
Do things get lost alot?
How are things handled?
How are things treated?
What are the policies for suspected packages?
What happens when things get lost/broken?

*edit*
I should extend this to more then employee's rather and people in general, shipper's and receivers. Have you had any problems with packages being searched? Any delays? Anything ever lost or stolen? Anything been damaged?

I sent two turntables once via UPS ground, insured up to 600$, and they arrived at my receivers house broken to fuck. Both tone arms were completely broken off, the covers were all smashed, I immediatly called UPS, and they gave me a run around because I had shipped threw the UPS store. So UPS themselves couldn't do anything cause the Store and UPS Corp is different entities. I got ahold of the UPS store, and they told me to bring it in, this involved the person I sent it to to spend another 85$ to ship the broken shit back to me, this took another 2weeks for me to get it back, mind you at this time the person I sent it to had gotten arrested, and I had to deal with his mother, she was very nice and things got sent but it was a hassle, no ones fault really shit just happened,. I took it to the UPS store, they assessed the damage they had to send it in, so it could be further 'inspected'. It took another two weeks and finally they called me and said they were liable, and rewarded me with a check for 600$ for EACH turntable. They had asked me how much each was worth and thats what I said, this isnt entirely true however but I didnt really understand what he was saying as he asked me. In the end however they only determined that one was damaged enough for them to give me anymoney, I eventually got my 600$ but it took a couple months. The morel of the story however is when you ship something threw UPS and its worth alot, MAKE SURE you have them package it, or atleast watch you package it. I was lucky and I had bought a box and we packed it up. If I had brought in a box and he never say inside and it was insured the possibility is great that you may not get your insurance money. USPS however if you are insuring something more then a 100$ they make you open it up and look inside to see how its packaged. They will not insure anything for more then 100$ without seeing that its packed properly. The guy I sold the tables to was on shroomery. i forget his name. If you are reading this and this story sounds familiar your probably the guy :laugh:. It sucks the decks broke it sucks UPS takes forever. I've never had UPS ground take less then 5 days. From Chicago to central wi, it takes 5 days.. USPS priority is cheap incredibly reliable. I much prefer USPS over anything. USPS express ships 365, for 30$ you can have it shipped across the country in 15 hours it works for me all the time. Very reliable. FedEx's overnight is never overnight atleast the times I've used it, same with UPS.
Prefered?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (10/13/09 12:56 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Edited by snoot (10/13/09 01:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Loc: North Alabama
Re: FedEx/USPS/UPS employee's; share your experience [Re: snoot]
    #11239413 - 10/13/09 01:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Here is a link to a good thread on this topic:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7724870#7724870

--------------------
If you build it they will shrug.
:shrug:

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FedEx/USPS/UPS employee's; share your experience [Re: Swyfty Swyf]
    #11239441 - 10/13/09 01:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Right on, I knew there were threads tossing around the subject, but nothing really focusing on it. I'm really looking for people who have worked behind the scenes and know something of how it works.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineNeuron
Tek Savant
Male

Loc: @meriKa
    #11239576 - 10/13/09 01:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

snoot said:
Post or current employee's of FedEx, UPS or USPS. I'm wondering how things work behind the curtains the policies that they have, and how things are REALLY done that no one see's. I know there are lots of people who have worked with these companies and I'm rather curious as I'm sure lots of other people are.
Do they randomly search packages?
Do things get lost alot?
How are things handled?
How are things treated?
What are the policies for suspected packages?
What happens when things get lost/broken?

*edit*
I should extend this to more then employee's rather and people in general, shipper's and receivers. Have you had any problems with packages being searched? Any delays? Anything ever lost or stolen? Anything been damaged?

I sent two turntables once via UPS ground, insured up to 600$, and they arrived at my receivers house broken to fuck. Both tone arms were completely broken off, the covers were all smashed, I immediatly called UPS, and they gave me a run around because I had shipped threw the UPS store. So UPS themselves couldn't do anything cause the Store and UPS Corp is different entities. I got ahold of the UPS store, and they told me to bring it in, this involved the person I sent it to to spend another 85$ to ship the broken shit back to me, this took another 2weeks for me to get it back, mind you at this time the person I sent it to had gotten arrested, and I had to deal with his mother, she was very nice and things got sent but it was a hassle, no ones fault really shit just happened,. I took it to the UPS store, they assessed the damage they had to send it in, so it could be further 'inspected'. It took another two weeks and finally they called me and said they were liable, and rewarded me with a check for 600$ for EACH turntable. They had asked me how much each was worth and thats what I said, this isnt entirely true however but I didnt really understand what he was saying as he asked me. In the end however they only determined that one was damaged enough for them to give me anymoney, I eventually got my 600$ but it took a couple months. The morel of the story however is when you ship something threw UPS and its worth alot, MAKE SURE you have them package it, or atleast watch you package it. I was lucky and I had bought a box and we packed it up. If I had brought in a box and he never say inside and it was insured the possibility is great that you may not get your insurance money. USPS however if you are insuring something more then a 100$ they make you open it up and look inside to see how its packaged. They will not insure anything for more then 100$ without seeing that its packed properly. The guy I sold the tables to was on shroomery. i forget his name. If you are reading this and this story sounds familiar your probably the guy :laugh:. It sucks the decks broke it sucks UPS takes forever. I've never had UPS ground take less then 5 days. From Chicago to central wi, it takes 5 days.. USPS priority is cheap incredibly reliable. I much prefer USPS over anything. USPS express ships 365, for 30$ you can have it shipped across the country in 15 hours it works for me all the time. Very reliable. FedEx's overnight is never overnight atleast the times I've used it, same with UPS.

UPS ALWAYS leaves packages at my door for anybody to steal.....They did this once with a $1,000 laptop too.....Nothing stolen yet, but still...

--------------------

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
    #11240498 - 10/13/09 04:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

UPS Overnight.

InvisibleAmber Trichome

Loc: Black Mountain
Re: FedEx/USPS/UPS employee's; share your experience [Re: Effed]
    #11240578 - 10/13/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ups has been solid for me and i have sent a lot of guitar equipment. only problem i've had with them was when i recently bought a 74 twin reverb silver face from ebay.

i open the box to find out it was packed upside down with all the weight on the bottom. needless to stay the tubes and knobs and god know's what else were fucked. great amp down the tubes.

i sent seller pics as proof, which he took to the ups store. the next day they were at my house to pick it up to take it to?

it has gone through claims and they guaranteed a refund since the packing error was on their part. the seller got the refund and is supposed to foward it to me on friday.

i'm patiently waiting.

Edited by Amber Trichome (10/13/09 04:29 PM)

Offlinebbaaam
Stranger
Re: FedEx/USPS/UPS employee's; share your experience [Re: Swyfty Swyf]
    #11335567 - 10/27/09 11:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Randomly came across this post when looking for stats on damage claims paid out...

I do work for UPS, I am a supervisor actually. I have been a damage clerk, hazmat clerk, international clerk... I could go on. Basically, here are some direct answers to your questions:

DO we randomly search packages? ~No. Frankly we don't have the time to do that. We have a list of 'trigger terms' that might inspire a search, if the address is wrong and we are trying to find you, or if your package is traveling across international borders maybe. Nobody cares to just randomly pick a package and go through it. Even so, only certain people are authorized to open shipments, and if it is suspicion of drugs or fraud only security is authorized...

Do things get lost a lot? ~In the past four years I have worked here I can recall maybe 8 or 10 times that packages have come up missing. Most os the time, when it is reported at least, security gets involved. Stealing packages, like a person's mail, is a federal crime. If a package was scanned on your sort last your integrity will be in question.
There is one other place a package might go missing- at the delivery point, which is all too common with new drivers. We have standard guidelines for places considered 'safe' to leave a package. Like, for example, it is safe to leave a package off the side of a house out of plain view from the street, however it is not safe to leave a package in an apartment complex even if it is out of plain view. If you have an issue with where a package is left call it in though- we can put special instructions for every single address we deliver to. Then it should never be a problem again. Also, if you are expecting a package you could leave a note for the driver requesting that packages are left in a specific place, or not driver released, without signature. Keep in mind UPS only makes three delivery attempts typically though.

How are things handled/treated? ... Well now that is a very interesting question. IF proper methods are inforced, and followed, packages are actually handled really well. UPS established 'standard practice methods' back in the 50's I think, and we still use them(with modifications) today. I would be lying if I said packages are ALWAYS handled with the care they should be handled with. It is safe to say that our best service for this is the Air division though. I can only assume this is because they are regulated more, and handled by less people.

What are the policies for suspected packages? ~Are we talking about suspected drug packages? Generally the 'trigger terms' mentioned above are used to determine if something is suspect. UPS actually makes a claim that we trust our customers, and therefore assume nothing illegal is happening. Unless the package smells or leaks the chances of anything being stopped is very unlikely, however the company does reserve the right to open and inspect anything at any time. I think most of the rest of this subject is already covered above though.

What happens when things get lost or broken? ~If handled properly there are two ways a damaged, or suspected fall out, package will be handled. The first, and more common is when a customer reports a package has been damaged. The driver will be sent out to pick up the package with a 'damage call tag' and it will come back for the PM clerks to process. We also identify damages in the system pretty often. If a package is leaking, or the seal is broken, it will always be checked for damage. Either way, there should always be a damage inspection claim report filed. The system was originally set up for damaged hazmat packages to satisfy OSHA and the DOT, but now the report is filed for all damaged packages. The report will ask for a slew of information- was the damaged item in 'performance' packaging? Was there inner packaging (i.e. packing peanuts, tissue, etc.)Was this obviously UPS' fault?- in total, depending on your answers, it will ask anywhere from 10 to 100 questions. After the report is filed it goes to damage claims, and they will determine if it is our fault or the customers. Then, the clerk will determine if the package should be sent to the shipper, receiver or disposed of...

A few suggestions for anyone wanting to avoid the pain of dealing with damaged good:
1. make sure you pack your items well! Our trailers are about 12 feet tall, and things get stacked on top of eachother and boxes don't have a lot of strength on their own.
2. avoid places like the UPS stores- they insure packages seperately, and all claims must be filed by them, and they kind of suck to deal with.
3. If you have a damaged package- call it in immediately. Make an inventory of everything that was damaged, and write a short description for the damage clerk even if it seems obvious. First off, this will help clear up any confusion with what was actually damaged and it will keep your claim from getting denied. Also, don't throw away anything from the original shipment- if the box is mangled put it in a new one. Take pictures. Keep records. Be very clear what the damage is.

I can say honestly that more than half the damages I have ever processed could have been avoided if the shipper packed their shit properly, and this is the number one thing that will make your claim denied. I really can't speak for any other companies of the sort, but I think the nature of the service is prone to some cracks in the system unfortunately. I do apologize for issues that people have had though, and I hope this gives answers to some of the questions asked...

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FedEx/USPS/UPS employee's; share your experience [Re: Effed]
    #11340200 - 10/28/09 04:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Effed said:
UPS Overnight.

USPS actually has surprised me lately, getting packages from florida and california 19 hours after I order, for 30$ garrenteed.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates