Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoderus urungus
Stranger in a strange land
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest USA
Help wiring squirrel cage blower for flowhood
    #11332997 - 10/27/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I scrapped this blower with a one year old motor from a furnace off a rehab job.I don't know much about wiring, so I need some help wiring this. I can just put it on high, or I could do two or three different switch's for high, med and low. I assume its a three speed because I can read high,med and low off the sticker on the motor.  I would ultimately like to be able to put it on a switch that has high, med and low settings (like a dimmer switch) with an extension cord that I can plug in. I just bought a 24"x24"x11.5" new HEPA filter from ebay for $80 total. I hope this blower is big enough, it should be it because it came out of a 2 1/2 story 4 bedroom house.

Here's a quote I got off off Mycotopia buts its for a 2 speed which I don't know if it matters but the picture on that post looks like mine.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot) "That looks like a typical furnace fan. It appears to be a two speed fan and not three speed. It should work great for your flow hood. White is neutral. There is no positive and negative wire with AC current. Make sure the nameplate says it's for 120 Volts AC. Use a grounded cord and plug. Connect the green wire from your cord to the chassis of the motor. (just find any mounting screw you can stick the green wire under) Connect the white wire from the cord to the white wire on the motor. The red and black wires from your motor are the high and low speed. Connect the other wire from your cord (usually black) to either the red OR black wire from your motor. Tape the end of the motor wire you don't use, so it won't short out. The small metal 'can' you see on the side is the capacitor. Make sure the connections to it are snug, and that it is secure so it won't short out. " Is this correct?

Here's some pictures of my blower
This looks like 115 volt/ 1/2 horsepower/ 9 amps and 1075 rpm. Can you get the cfm from this?
]This looks like it says blue=med red=low black=auto? white=hi?
I assume that the plug on the right gets cut and the red is low and blue is med. The orange wire looks like it was cut and not used. Then black and white are left.

P.S. Which one of the shroom pics in my signature do you like better. Thanks for looking!!:thumbup:

--------------------
In the name of GWAR, in the name of love
In the name of the blood dripping out of the sun
I call out your God, till before me he stands
But don't send me Jesus, he's only a man

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Help wiring squirrel cage blower for flowhood [Re: oderus urungus]
    #11333083 - 10/27/09 05:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Black, blue, red = hi, med, lo is how I read that? With white as common? Dunno, but it's a cool motor.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: alized
Re: Help wiring squirrel cage blower for flowhood [Re: Doc_T]
    #11333269 - 10/27/09 05:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Wow. Electrical is kind of my thing, but truth be told, I'm not up to getting into a project right now, and if I get deeply involved, I want to do it right.  You can look at this thread from a few days back. We got it running and maybe it will help. Otherwise, I'll check back with ya. I can't really say if that is appropriate for a flow hood. Wish I had one.

Good Luck.

--------------------
Cervantes' sclerotia thread    Citric's self-healing lid tek  Agar's Grain LC  Breaking Up Spawn Jars

World's Ugliest Cat?

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

Re: Help wiring squirrel cage blower for flowhood [Re: myceleus_rex]
    #11333611 - 10/27/09 06:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

There is no positive and negative wire with AC current.

True, but there is a hot and a cold wire.

Quote:

This looks like 115 volt/ 1/2 horsepower/ 9 amps and 1075 rpm. Can you get the cfm from this?

Gonna need a diameter and width of the fan for that.

Can you go to your images and put a check next to the 'share' on those? I can't see them blown up...

--------------------
semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit

Sclerotia FAQ... If ya ain't got any stones, grow some.

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Ghetto Tek: Auto FAE & Light

Offlineoderus urungus
Male User Gallery

Re: Help wiring squirrel cage blower for flowhood [Re: fundamentalchair]
    #11333814 - 10/27/09 06:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Gonna need a diameter and width of the fan for that.

Can you go to your images and put a check next to the 'share' on those? I can't see them blown up...

The width of the fan is 14", 12" diameter for the cylinder fan. The box for the motor and fan is 16" tall and 19" across and 14" wide. The rectangular exhaust is 14"x8" (intake is the inner circle right?). I didn't know you had to share to be able to blow them up, thanks for the tip. I got all the pics on share now.

--------------------

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11333830 - 10/27/09 06:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

(intake is the inner circle right?)

Yes

Quote:

I didn't know you had to share to be able to blow them up

Normally you don't. Due to my security settings, I can't view them without opening them in a new window.

--------------------

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11333932 - 10/27/09 07:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

My Trade list.

Offlineoderus urungus
Male User Gallery

#11334262 - 10/27/09 07:55 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Cool, Thanks. Now I need to figure out if 1080cfm is enough to go through my 24"x24"x11.5" Hepa filter. Its says it runs at 2000 cfm. Here's the link if anyone wants to see.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140349144140&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Flowhood Here's a link to the formula to figure out if my fan is big enough, but I get lost here "Each blower has a data sheet (consult the manufacturer if this is not the case with your blower) where the correlation between the volumetric flow and the static pressure is represented by a graph or table"

Thanks again.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11334325 - 10/27/09 08:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

oderus urungus said:
"Each blower has a data sheet (consult the manufacturer if this is not the case with your blower) where the correlation between the volumetric flow and the static pressure is represented by a graph or table"

I guess you've Googled that? Have you phoned the manufacturer?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlineoderus urungus
Male User Gallery

#11334695 - 10/27/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes I have been on the Ge website and I cant find out much more then what it says on the sticker except this "9.0 FLA @ NP". I will try to call tomorrow to see if I can get more info on this motor.

--------------------

Offlineoderus urungus
Male User Gallery

#11338872 - 10/28/09 02:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I phoned the maker of the motor but it was a newer motor that was put on an old furnace, so the maker of the motor does not know any specs on the blower (I don't think they knew much of anything)and I have no idea what type of furnace it came out of so I cant find the static pressure. I can guess by comparing it to blowers from Graniger maybe.?
Has anyone else used a 1080 cfm blower with the 24"x24"x11.5" filter? I have another blower, could hook up 2 blowers with high/low switches if one is not enough? I also bought this switch

I was thinking I could do red to the bottom/low. blue to the middle/med, and black to the top/high. Then do white on the left. Mount a steel switch box to the fan, then ground out the green on the extension cord to the box or the switch which will ground to the box with the screws. Then would I put the black on the same switch screw that the black wire from the fan is going to or should I just do a wire nut and connect 3 wires? The black from the cord, the black from the fan and a third wire that can go to the switch? I would do the white the same way. Something does not seem right about the black wire to me. I hope someone can help, Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11342111 - 10/28/09 09:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It's a 115 Volt motor that draws 9 amps.  You can use a heavy duty extension cord with the female end cut off as a power cord.

It appears to be set up now for counter clockwise rotation.  You'll notice on the motor, the orange and brown wires are connected together and the yellow and purple are tied together(or so it appears).  Those four wires determine clockwise or counter clockwise rotation per the data plate.

Cut the plug off the other end of the wires leaving the motor.  The browns are for the capacitor and appear to be already hooked up.  Tape those so they don't short out on anything. 

Connect the green wire from your extension cord to a screw on the chassis of the motor or blower. I see there's already a green jumper there to bond the motor to the blower. This is your ground and will ensure the breaker trips in your panel if something shorts out.

Connect the white wire from your cord to the white wire coming from the motor.  Connect the black wire from your cord to either the black, blue or red wire, depending if you want high, medium, or low speed respectively. Insulate the two speed wires you don't use so they don't short out.  I wouldn't use that switch.  Once you determine which speed it needs to run, you'll never change it, so just wire it and leave the switch out.

You're going to want about 500 CFM @ 1" static pressure to go with that 24 X 24 filter.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineoderus urungus
Male User Gallery

Re: Help wiring squirrel cage blower for flowhood [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11346296 - 10/29/09 04:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks RR, it worked great. :thumbup: It worked so good it blew shit all over the room. Could I put a regular light switch for on/off once I find out which speed to use? To check it I will just use a candle or lighter. With 1" static pressure I should have more then enough cfm @ 1050, I might have to adjust it down depending on my prefilter, right? Do you figure in the thickness of the filter with the area of the filter. In the fungifun article they start by multiplying the width and the height, so does it matter how thick the filter is for figuring static pressure? It seems to me that it would be harder for air to flow through 11.5" then through 5" but I have no idea how HEPA filters are made. Thanks again everyone for your advice and as soon as I get my filter I will begin construction. I will start a new post after I figure out my design (its going to be real close to The Series I Hood from http://www.fungi.com/tools/airfilters.html) Should I post my design and questions about it here or in another forum

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11347044 - 10/29/09 06:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You'll probably want to use low speed.  I'd start with that and if you need more, move up.  Don't use a light switch on an inductive(motor) load.  I'd either plug it in when you want to run, or go to an electrical store and get a motor rated switch.  They look just like light switches but are heavier duty to hold up to starting loads.

Another option is a motor speed controller.  Search the internet for 115 volt motor speed controller and you'll find lots for under $50.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom