Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePlutonian
Mushroom Man
Male

Low humidity in my small FC :(
    #11334471 - 10/27/09 08:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I got my FC at 10 inches in height, 12 inches in length, 7.5 inches in width and I'm birthing just 2 cakes, I drilled a lot of 1/8" drill bit holes, about 50 on both the length side, 40 on both the width side, 30 on the bottom and the top I just put a plastic food film over to cover it because the lid is not transparent.

So I got the perlite at about 4", and my hygrometer reads only 80%, so what is going on here? Is my FC too small? Or do I have too little or too many holes(1/8", not 1/4")?

Also, what is the right procedure of making the perlite? I just put it in the strainer and ran water through it for like 2 minutes then drain it and put it in my FC.

Please help me guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Low humidity in my small FC :( [Re: Plutonian]
    #11334527 - 10/27/09 08:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Perlite sounds right. Holes may or may not be. How's your hygrometer calibration?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: Low humidity in my small FC :( [Re: Doc_T]
    #11334562 - 10/27/09 08:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Could be numerous problems..

1- perlite is TOO wet. You do not want any standing water in there.
2- shitty hydrometer... If it is digital, then it's a piece of shit. Plain and simple.

3- perlite isn't wet enough.

You should have holes ALL over the container. All sides including the bottom. It's called a "shotgun" because it's supposed to look like a shotgun hit it! LoL

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflinePlutonian
Mushroom Man
Male

#11334623 - 10/27/09 08:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So how can you tell if perlite is dry or wet? By touching it?
Also, I didn't calibrate the hygrometer, sounds too troublesome for me.
So let's say if the hygrometer isn't accurate, will it read lower than the actual humidity if I didn't calibrate it? If without calibration the hygrometer reads lower then I'm a little relived, or can it read both higher and lower without calibration?
If it is 80% though, would my mushies grow regardless?

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#11334671 - 10/27/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If calibrating a hydrometer is too "troublesome" for you, then maybe this isn't a hobby for you. That is the easiest thing you can possibly do. LoL

Anyways, look at the bottom of your container, if you see pools of water, then it is too wet. You just want the perlite damp.
If your hydrometer is not calibrated it could read anything...either too high or too low. Thats the whole idea behind calibrating it.

The way I see it, once you get your eggs lined up then you get in the habit of doing things right the first time and you see the end result is not much of a headache. Rather then taking shortcuts and waiting weeks only to find out you got hit with contams, no fruits, or small baby sized fruits that never mature.

Just do stuff right the first time, and you shall be set! :smile:

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds