Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
commercial tactics
    #11334524 - 10/27/09 10:25 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Here the thing many folks might like to start growing mushrooms for commercial sale. Maybe folk here at the shroomery can offer some in-site on the blues of business in the mushroom industry. I have recently started my own small local business. I have large goals to meet, and i'm still working hard at it.

some things i have considered is

Hitting the medicinal aspect of mushrooms as a way to attract the alternative medicine folks aboard.( there is a lot of people in my area that are into natural medicine)You can advertise in that respect.

The best one maybe! The freshness you can offer over the larger corporate growers.( just recently i was at the grocery store their oyster mushrooms looked like shit. seriously they had mycelium growing off the mushrooms. Showing an excess of age there IMO.

so what you say? If you have ideas that won't release any proprietary info for your own operation. lets here them. There's alot of us small time commercial growers. Any and all ideas are welcome on this thread.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCryogeniczV
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: commercial tactics [Re: charvo]
    #11335356 - 10/28/09 12:30 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

What super irritates me about restaurants, is that they constantly try to get you to lower your prices.

The problem with that is when you lower your prices, this lowers the value of your mushrooms and your company.

So do try not to have to low of prices. Even if they buy less, it's better.

Instead of telling them how much per pound, or asking them how much they would pay per pound, ask them how many pounds of mushrooms they want, or what their total budget is. Or explain what your minimum order is for free delivery.

This is a major incentive to order your minimum order amount, say $50-100. Also let them know that larger amounts give a better discount. Make a sheet with the breakdown.

Another strategy is using a pre-paid discount.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: commercial tactics [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #11335601 - 10/28/09 01:09 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

packaging is an issue especially for presentation and freshness.  i find that using vented polypropylene (containers - pricey but suits the brand) are the best.  i initially used paper bags and then went on to cardboard cake boxes, but the plastic (unfortunately) seems to be the packaging that consumers prefer.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineCryogeniczV
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: commercial tactics [Re: solumvita]
    #11335703 - 10/28/09 01:26 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I use plastic bins with holes in them that I bought from the dollar store, I just re-use them.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineGrzyby
Janitor w/light cooking duties
Male User Gallery

Re: commercial tactics [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #11337217 - 10/28/09 11:43 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

You can also get cardboard 5 lb mushroom boxes for about $.50 each , i get about 2-3 uses out of each one , then compost the box. I also plan on using my extra , damaged and bug ridden mushrooms to dry for use in dog treats. The laws for drying ( processing ) food are much more strict then for fresh produce. There are no such laws for dog food. I will then grind the dried mushrooms and add to dog treat mixtures. Then sell the bones as anti-cancer or something medicinal dog biscuits, like PS's muttrooms.

As far as prices find out who the local produce purveyors are, call them and find out their prices. Then use these prices to base your prices off of. Also if chefs try to low ball you , like cryo said hold out. I had one chef try to pay me half of the $50 for 4lb of  maitake i was asking , I said i just picked them 2 hours ago and that was the  price. I walked next door and sold 2 cases to the chef there while the other guy watched. The next week he paid the $50 for them. Also free samples go a long way , especially if people are on the fence about buying them the first time. Last thing research what restaurants in your area like to use local/sustainable produce/products. This is huge in my area!Many  restaurants have bought them just so they can offer a local product on their menu.

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
Re: commercial tactics [Re: Grzyby]
    #11340888 - 10/28/09 08:45 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

LOL thats great making dog treats. Do you sell them to folk for there dogs and such?

where did you find those containers your using? You got a link perhaps?

great info everyone.

I've done some farmers markets. We have this fairly larger gathering of people selling all kinds of produce at this market. The sales are kinda low. I'm glad  someone had something to say about restaurants I was thinking about trying to get some business from local restaurants. I totally agree about standing your ground with the restaurants. we should be able to get higher prices for the freshness we can offer.

Another avenue is working with the local CO-OP's stores,or any of the organic food stores. What about the larger grocery store thou. anyone ever trying getting there business?

--------------------

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: commercial tactics [Re: charvo]
    #11341131 - 10/28/09 09:24 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I have talked to several organic fresh produce stores, i walked in and examined their mushrooms, and it was a sad..."dry" sight of 0 freshness, i talked to their DM, and got some info on what would be required to become a vendor for them, they said they would have to schedule an inspection day for them to come and inspect your "facilities".  That discouraged me seeing as...my "facility" is my house. imo, im not attempting to compete with mass producers untill i own lots of land and can afford proper facilities along with massive venting systems and can gurantee future production.

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: commercial tactics [Re: TheShroomanizer]
    #11345410 - 10/29/09 03:40 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TheShroomanizer said:
I have talked to several organic fresh produce stores, i walked in and examined their mushrooms, and it was a sad..."dry" sight of 0 freshness, i talked to their DM, and got some info on what would be required to become a vendor for them, they said they would have to schedule an inspection day for them to come and inspect your "facilities".  That discouraged me seeing as...my "facility" is my house. imo, im not attempting to compete with mass producers untill i own lots of land and can afford proper facilities along with massive venting systems and can gurantee future production.

That's harsh, we sell to 3 co-ops + one big grocery(non-national) regularly and non of them have asked to come see our set-up. I find the co-ops to be some of the best customers we have.

Restaurants can be tough too, most of them are just all about the bottom line. You need to seek out chefs who are into local food or into mushrooms.

Farmer's markets are where the money is. We make 75% of our money there. You need to find a good one and stick with it.

For packaging we use those compostable palm fiber crates(looks like cardboard) With a vented bag tied around it. It works alright but I think plastic crates are the inevitable next step.

Dog treats. That is a hell of an idea.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms