Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Dual Monitor Questions
    #11333731 - 10/27/09 08:38 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Well, after years of laughing at those who used dual monitors.... I have seen the error of my ways. I have been..... a fool.

I am now spoiled and am happily using twin 22" HP monitors. One is hooked up HDMI, one VGA. I currently have onboard video with my GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H. The only video ports are the 1 HDMI and the 1 VGA.

My questions are:
When dragging a window from the main (HDMI) monitor to the 2nd (VGA) monitor the window is at a different height on the two monitors. The VGA monitor displays the window about 2 inches lower than the HDMI. As the window can be repositioned this is not a major problem, more of a curiosity. Any ideas why this happens?

Next, I'm thinking of building a new system with one of the many flavors of a Radeon HD 5870 video card. As these have one HDMI and 2 DVI ports, will a simple DVI to HDMI adapter allow for the use of both monitors on HDMI or is this one of the areas where the cards are crippled? If so, can I buy 2 cards and then run 2 HDMI monitors?

Thanks all.

Edit: Don't know if it matters but I'm using XP 32 bit and the new system will probably be W7 64 bit.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (10/27/09 09:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Dual Monitor Questions [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #11336628 - 10/28/09 08:04 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

> Any ideas why this happens?

Not sure (other than typical BS from a typical MS product), but check the display settings where you set resolution, color depth, etc...  See the picture that has the two monitors side by side?  You can drag the monitors around in the picture to position them relative to one another.  See if this helps...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Dual Monitor Questions [Re: Seuss]
    #11336679 - 10/28/09 08:37 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Any ideas why this happens?

Not sure (other than typical BS from a typical MS product), but check the display settings where you set resolution, color depth, etc...  See the picture that has the two monitors side by side?  You can drag the monitors around in the picture to position them relative to one another.  See if this helps...

Well, what do you know. A small tweak there did the trick. I didn't realize that small adjustments like that would have any affect.

Thanks for the tip.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #11343445 - 10/29/09 05:33 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Not sure whether your drivers or windows already offer more functionality, but when I used windows with multiple monitors, I used UltraMon for extra functions: separate taskbars on two screens and shortcuts to move windows around.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Dual Monitor Questions [Re: Annom]
    #11343732 - 10/29/09 08:56 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Annom said:
Not sure whether your drivers or windows already offer more functionality, but when I used windows with multiple monitors, I used UltraMon for extra functions: separate taskbars on two screens and shortcuts to move windows around.

The web page makes it sound pretty sweet. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

--------------------

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

#11354743 - 10/30/09 11:39 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I second Ultramon.  I've two monitors and an HDTV hooked up to my comp and Ultramon puts a taskbar on each monitor and it is now Windows 7 compatible.  I wouldn't use a multi-mon setup with out.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Dual Monitor Questions [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #11356894 - 10/31/09 01:02 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

im not sure how this would work with dual displays or ultramon but check out VirtuaWin also. it basically gives you virtual desktops like you would see in linux or spaces in osx.

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

once you get used to this way of working its really hard to live without it.

--------------------

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
Re: Dual Monitor Questions [Re: frith]
    #11371571 - 11/02/09 08:20 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I have dual monitors but I'm using my laptop as the main monitor. It feels a bit weird though. I really need to get a wireless mouse so I don't have to use my finger on the touchpad to go from screen to screen because its tiring.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology