Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Air Pump, Coir, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Terrence McKenna, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOG smoke
Stranger
Monotub Tek Questions
    #11332000 - 10/27/09 04:10 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys just a few questions im unsure about.  What i plan to do is I have a area 10ft by 6ft and about four feet high.  I put a florecent light on the top of my little area for light.  I made a Shmuvbox out of new clear trash bags and a hepa filter from walmart.  I have a alchohal lamp and syrynge foam condoms ill soak in 70% alc and slip on the syrnges.  I plan to do monotubs and WBS jars. 

My questions are, should I put a osolating fan in the area I have or will it be to close and dry them out?  I will work on putting pics up to still working on it though.

Also with the WBS jars how many should I use per each tub.  I have the quart size jars and about 36 of them.  I have 6 10cc syrnges (A+, B+, Golden teacher, Z+, Ban hau dan, and one more) and planned to put 1.5 cc in 6 jars and the rest in LC jars.  Preferably I want 30 tubs and was thinking put 1 quart in each tub and using the remaining jars for g2g transfers (incase i screw up the LC).

And with the area i have imagine it like a small garage (pics coming tonight)  I would like some input on the best way to fan and have the holes cut...  reading up it seems people cut their holes for the tubs differently depending on their setup, I understand it should be 3 inches around I was thinking set the holes up like a triangle two on the bottom and one on the top of each long side.  figure with a total of 4 holes near the bottom and two at the top the CO2 has no problem escaping and it may almost make a suction since CO2 is heavier it will push itself out.  Also I was going to use Micropore tape instead of polyfil...  seems like more of a control.

More qestions to come thank you guys in advance and sorry about my terrible grammer and spelling.

This picture is the outside of my little grow room

This picture is of the inside

should I put a fan up in one corner pointed twards the celing?  and as far as the tubs should I cut the holes in the long sides?  if so two on the bottom and one on the top?  what size 3"? and I have seen a few people who use two diff sized holes on each side of the tub (eg. 3" on the front and 2" holes in the back) what is the porpouse if any?  thanks again.

Edited by OG smoke (10/28/09 01:51 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Monotub Tek Questions [Re: OG smoke]
    #11332150 - 10/27/09 04:56 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OG smoke said:
Hey guys just a few questions im unsure about.  What i plan to do is I have a area 10ft by 6ft and about four feet high.  I put a florecent light on the top of my little area for light.  I made a Shmuvbox out of new clear trash bags and a hepa filter from walmart.  I have a alchohal lamp and syrynge foam condoms ill soak in 70% alc and slip on the syrnges.  I plan to do monotubs and WBS jars. 

My questions are, should I put a osolating fan in the area I have or will it be to close and dry them out?  I will work on putting pics up to still working on it though.

Also with the WBS jars how many should I use per each tub.  I have the quart size jars and about 36 of them.  I have 6 10cc syrnges (A , B , Golden teacher, Z , Ban hau dan, and one more) and planned to put 1.5 cc in 6 jars and the rest in LC jars.  Preferably I want 30 tubs and was thinking put 1 quart in each tub and using the remaining jars for g2g transfers (incase i screw up the LC).

And with the area i have imagine it like a small garage (pics coming tonight)  I would like some input on the best way to fan and have the holes cut...  reading up it seems people cut their holes for the tubs differently depending on their setup, I understand it should be 3 inches around I was thinking set the holes up like a triangle two on the bottom and one on the top of each long side.  figure with a total of 4 holes near the bottom and two at the top the CO2 has no problem escaping and it may almost make a suction since CO2 is heavier it will push itself out.  Also I was going to use Micropore tape instead of polyfil...  seems like more of a control.

More qestions to come thank you guys in advance and sorry about my terrible grammer and spelling.

Holy mother of Mckenna! 10 Tubs? Is this your first grow?

I run my monos with 6 holes total all at sub level. I use Ohmatics design. The amount of spawn you use depends on the amount of sub your mixing up and height your trying to achieve within the tub. I run my 27qt sterlite at a depth of about 5" so my mixture is (1:4 ratio) about 12qts of sub to about 2qts of spawn.

Put up some pics so we can all get a better understanding of what your trying to achieve.

ATK

OfflineOG smoke
Stranger
Re: Monotub Tek Questions [Re: AlienTechKilla]
    #11332213 - 10/27/09 05:10 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yes this is my first grow but money is not an issue and it seems like alot of fun.  I am waiting for my buddy to get off work to use his camera.  Ive been reading about it for two years off and on and a good buddy of mine showed me the basics now its just up to trial and error which is why i decided to go big.  Personaly i was thinking about around 45-55 qt steralites.  Not to sure about depth I was thinking 4" would be plenty.  I was going to do 50/50 verm/coir and I have 50lbs of spent coffee grinds (thanks starbucks!).  so doing that would 2 qts be ok? or should I do three to be safe?  Maybe 3 in one two in the other just to kinda experiment?  although money is not a problem i still want to be sucessfull lol.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #11332218 - 10/27/09 05:11 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

my mixture is (1:4 ratio) about 12qts of sub to about 2qts of spawn.

thats 1:6 ratio ATK. :thumbup:

I run 1:2 ratio for colonization speed.  6qts of spawn to 12qts of bulk substrate.

OP I dont know if you have viewing access to growlogs yet (you havent been a member long) but my grow log in my sig (PE and Atl#7 growlog) has links to teks and everything you need to know on monos/substrates/spawning/everything.

you only need the ocilating fan (on low pointing away from your tubs) when fruiting not during colonization.

good luck.:super:

Offlinemushroommaan
Stranger
Male
    #11332226 - 10/27/09 05:12 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Stick to like 2 or 3 tubs max for your first grow so you can pay attention to the process rather than stressing about your 90 pounds of bulk substrate you have to pasturize.

--------------------
Welcome to mushroom land,
Home of the Mushroommaan,
Who lives on Shroomery way.

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Monotub Tek Questions [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11332228 - 10/27/09 05:12 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
Quote:

my mixture is (1:4 ratio) about 12qts of sub to about 2qts of spawn.

thats 1:6 ratio ATK. :thumbup:

I run 1:2 ratio for colonization speed.  6qts of spawn to 12qts of bulk substrate.

OP I dont know if you have viewing access to growlogs yet (havent been a member long) but my grow log in my sig (PE and Atl#7 growlog) has links to teks and everything you need to know on monos/substrates/spawning/everything.

you only need the ocil fan when fruiting not during colonization.

good luck.:super:

hahahaha.... ur right it is. lol

I eyeball everything so my numbers aren't exact anyway. Nice catch tho 13

atk

OfflineOG smoke
Stranger
Re: Monotub Tek Questions [Re: mushroommaan]
    #11332270 - 10/27/09 05:22 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

yea thats what will have to happen, I only got one PC and only so many jars I figure ill let the jars I got colonize and start with them keep the first few going and continuously add 4 more every flush or so.  There are two of us working on this project though and we both got a pritty good head on our shoulders  Im also not in to much of a rush, just geting everything together now and starting the prep work.  if it takes 5 jars per tub thats still 6 tubs i will start with which should be straight.  Ill have pics up by tonight of the setup.

And i need like 7 more posts and wait 9 more days inorder to see the logs, thats plenty of time jars wont be done till atleast then.  Thank you all for your imput its very helpfull.

OfflineOG smoke
Stranger
    #11335866 - 10/28/09 01:59 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Bump because I added pics

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11335900 - 10/28/09 02:07 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

your proly only gonna need 1" holes in those tubs, you dont want to dry out your substrate during fruiting.

if you can keep temps betweem 65-75 that area should work.

one thing though, you need to lift the tubs off the floor, contams settle there and any moving air will push them into your tubs and mess up the whole shabang:eek:

make sure to cut a view port in the lids so you dont open your tubs to check on them.  thats bad.

I realize you dont have the area but you get the point of off the floor.:stoned:

Invisiblewhyblameus
on a mission
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca,Ga,Id wanna trade LOL Flag
    #11335973 - 10/28/09 02:27 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

check out this monotub grow if your able to.
its my favorite grow log.
i just maid and spawned my first one yesterday.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10884256

--------------------
if you dont got no one to hate on feel free to hate on me!:tongue:

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub Tek Questions [Re: whyblameus]
    #11336085 - 10/28/09 03:00 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

thats one of the best/easiest monotub teks on this site :super: 

its one I was tryin to link it but he cant view them yet. :shrug: 

but when he can hes going to be happy how easy it is. :stoned:

Invisiblewhyblameus
on a mission
Male User Gallery

#11336226 - 10/28/09 04:07 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

haha this guy is gonna love me.

--------------------

Invisiblewhyblameus
on a mission
Male User Gallery

#11336229 - 10/28/09 04:09 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Citric said:
Was going to wait until this grow was finished, but figure I would post it up now since it will be done in a few days.

Well, to make a story short I owed a friend some money for letting me stay at his place while I went through a separation.  He has been trying to grow for years without any success(I even showed him step by step in person at one point and he still fails).  So, I told him I would setup a grow for him.  So here it is.  This is my first grow since 06(06 Martha Stewart), and this will be my last.  I made some lids(Self healing lid TEK) to last him a few grows if he decides to attempt it on his own in the future.  I enjoy growing and I love it, but I get way to stressed out and paranoid.

WBS Prep:
Soaked for 12-16 hours(Over night, don't remember the exact timing)
From the soak, was rinsed briefly and loaded into a large pot to simmer. (I don't simmer for long, I test the grain by trying to squish it, if I can, it's done)
Rinsed off with cold water, drained until nothing dripped, and loaded into the PC.

I started out with multispore inoculation(Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation) on a mini grain jar.  From that jar I made enough syringes to make up 36 quart jars.  I did a small experiment with the grain jars for fun, and made a Cup O' Shrooms!

Jars were inoculated with 1-2CC's and then shaken.  The jars were incubated in 81-83 degree TiT(Tub in tub).  The day after the first signs of growth they were shaken, and were fully colonized in 6-7 days.

I pasteurized a brick of coir and a quart of vermiculite.  I tossed the brick of coir and a quart of vermiculite into a bucket, then put 4.5 quarts of water in a pot and on the stove.  I got the water to almost boil, and dumped it into the bucket.  I mixed the coir/verm up and then closed the lid.  The next day the tubs were made.

6 quarts of WBS, 1 brick of coir, and one quart of verm.  The quart jars of WBS were birthed into a large bag and then crumbled.  I loaded the tub with the bulk substrate, then emptied the bag of crumbled WBS on top.  I gave the WBS a light mist and mixed it up by hand.  Four tubs were done this way, and the holes were covered with duct tape, then covered with a blanket to colonize.

08/04

(I took a picture of them sleeping, please don't ask why, because I don't know)

Four days later, the tubs were all 100% colonized.

08/08

The tape was removed and stuffed with polyfil.  The two holes on each side were stuffed rather tight, while the holes on the top were stuffed loosely.  I put a fan right next to the closet door, roughly 3 feet away from the tubs.  I set it on medium(It is a small and very weak fan) and to oscillate, and left on 24/7.  A small cabinet light was mounted and set on a 12/12 light cycle.

Six days later pins appeared on all tubs.  Here are pictures from the top left tub.

08-14

08-16

08-17

08-18
Well I am going to have to do something with the mature ones.  Will cut the tops off and let the rest of the tub catch up.  I was going to clone the big one on the right hand side, but the stipe has been ripping a lot and I am a little cautious of doing so.  Not a big deal I got 3 other tubs that I can choose a clone from without having to deal with which part may or may not have been in contact with air.

Performed some surgery and removed some of the more mature caps.  Here is the big one that I was going to clone.

08-19
Time to harvest the top left tub.  I may add pictures of the other tubs when they are done and what not, but I don't think this thread needs much more documentation.

Dry weight from the first tub:  6 1/2 oz

Few pictures of fruits from another tub.  There were many more ones this size, but I got small hands!

All tubs first flush have been harvested, so here is a picture from the harvest of the last tub(I got bored)

Just a couple pictures of some fruits from the second flush(And last)

I found one that I had wanted to clone, so I took a picture of it.

Then about two days later I found this guy.

Well, that's all for this thread.  Hope people were able to learn something or at least had fun following it.  Best of luck to everyone, and just remember to keep it simple.  This hobby is not hard at all.  The main thing is do not cut any corners when it comes to being clean and sterile.  I know a ton of people who take showers, bleach their house, lysol it down, and say a prayer before inoculating.  If you want to go through all that, it wouldn't hurt(Other then killing time), but it is not needed.

If anyone has questions, feel free to post here or pm me.

Goodluck!

--------------------

Invisiblewhyblameus
on a mission
Male User Gallery

#11336234 - 10/28/09 04:10 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

just in case you couldnt see it yet.:biggrin::winner:

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11336244 - 10/28/09 04:16 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

:headbang3::scaryshroom::congrats:

OfflineOG smoke
Stranger
    #11336682 - 10/28/09 08:37 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Well with the lids I just threw those on there so the tubs did not get dirty while i set things up...  I was planning to use rynalds cling wrap for the tops and tape the edges of the cling wrap to the tub so it stays put.  Is that not sugested?  i never realy thought to cut a hole in the top to make a view port.  As far as your tubs, I dont think I see a hole in the top, to my understanding the hole in the top is to make almost like an air pump circulating.  perhapts the third hole is only required in larger tubs (eg 94 qt.) 

How high off the floor should it be?  it should be no problem lifting them and as far as the temp goes, the area has a window heater/ac but was planning on putting a heater with digital thermestat out in the center of the room.  thats for the winter time anyways, gets kinda cold here. 

And also gypsum....  I read someplace to use a knife full to add to the jars and the bulk right?  im asuming its a little more than a knife full of gypsum for the bulk since there is more bulk than jars.

Thanks for putting the log up there, you guys rock!

Edited by OG smoke (10/28/09 10:46 AM)

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11337126 - 10/28/09 11:23 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I was planning to use rynalds cling wrap for the tops and tape the edges of the cling wrap to the tub so it stays put.  Is that not sugested?

during colonization thats fine but once you start fruiting your going to need a lid thats you can take off and put back on for when you harvest and rehydrate for flush 2 and so on.

Quote:

As far as your tubs, I dont think I see a hole in the top, to my understanding the hole in the top is to make almost like an air pump circulating.  perhapts the third hole is only required in larger tubs (eg 94 qt.) 

I have 2 holes at the surface of the substrate along the sides and 1 hole on each end up higher.  you just want enough openings for fresh air to get exchanged and yet hold humidity, not to big, not to small.
you have to find the happy medium.

Quote:

How high off the floor should it be?

I would say 6" or higher would suffice.

Quote:

And also gypsum....  I read someplace to use a knife full to add to the jars and the bulk right?  im asuming its a little more than a knife full of gypsum for the bulk since there is more bulk than jars.

this is the bulk substrate mix I use in my 18gal monotubs:
1 brick coir
1 quart verm
1 cup spent coffee grounds
1 cup gypsum
1 gal water

once pasteurized and cooled I mix with 6 quarts of spawn and put in to whatever trays/tubs Im using.

I dont add anything to my jars, I just soak my grains in 50/50 half drinking strength coffee/water.  prepped like this.

hope that helped.:stoned:

OfflineOG smoke
Stranger

#11338427 - 10/28/09 03:09 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

with that bulk recepie of yours should I double it for my 6 54 qt tubs?  Maybe tripple just to be safe, id hate to do all that work to find out im 1/2 tub short on bulk.... 

Im about to simmer the wbs now.... 

For your lid did you just cut a square out and duct tape saran wrap on the bottom?

one more thing what if I have a heppa fan blowing instead of a regular one that may work better or is that unnessicary?

Thank you so much again!

Edited by OG smoke (10/28/09 03:32 PM)

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11338554 - 10/28/09 03:29 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

make 1 batch at a time for consistancy to get the method down also.  then just go untill you dont need any more.

OfflineOG smoke
Stranger

#11344111 - 10/29/09 11:10 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Just finished my first 7 jars :tongue: they appear to be darker than the non cooked jars.  Im asuming thats right lol.  Left one is done right one is about to go in.

I could not find micropore tape apparently they do not sell it here lol.  Ill have to go with polyfil (no biggie).

After I inoculate the jars it says to put a bandage on it....  Would 2 coffee filters work?

And last but not least...  The first tek I read (and was going to follow)  was an ebook (unsponsored I think) and asuming a bit old because it told me I needed a air pump and water stone with a little cup of water in the tub for humidity...  It was to my initial understanding that the whole point of it was the bulk evapurates and condonsates in the tub thus causing any humidity you need...  Im asuming that the water stone and air pump is an unneccisary risk for contam that a newb like me would not like to do.

Edited by OG smoke (10/29/09 11:12 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Air Pump, Coir, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Terrence McKenna, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation