Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Eastern Missouri
ID request North East Missouri
    #11330332 - 10/27/09 11:11 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Habitat:
Found in a small patch of undisturbed woods.  Under various Oak trees.  Growing up through leaf litter but not attached to any twigs or any other rotting wood.  Appeared to be anchored to the soil.

Gills:
I have a close up in the pictures down below.  Is this two tiers of intermediate gills? Subdecurrent to Adnate

Stem:
1-2cm diameter, 3-10cm length, Color can be seen in the picture. I am having a difficult time explaining overall color of the stem.  The base seemed to bruise blueish-purple quite readily but also contained a yellowish green color close to where it attaches to the ground.  The stem seemed to be solid/pliant with a yellowish, whiteish, bruising to bluish pith.  Mostly equal slight swelling at the base. Hopefully the texture can be seen in the pictures below.

Cap:
3-9cm diameter, color can be seen in the picture better than I can describe it, did fade to yellowish brown, to straw color when drying.  Broadly convex in maturity.  Striate margin.  close to 1cm thick at the center hygrophanous.  Surface viscid and pellicle was gelatinous and could be separated when still wet but require ease and attention to do so.

Spore print color:
White

Bruising:
It very much seemed to bruise throughout the cap or stem when handled.  I still do not trust myself to distinguish between dark violet colors and just plain black to blackish-brown. 

Other information:
Other information includes: I found these on a Northern facing slope on a 50 degree day.  Leaf litter in which they were growing in was only no more than 1-2inches deep.  Many of these were growing near downed limbs or trees without actually growing on them.  These mushrooms were quite abundant.  When examining them, they seemed to bruise easily but I am not willing to trust my eyes.  The overall yellowish, greenish tinge throughout the whole mushroom coupled with dark browns and what I may think to be some purples just left me having no clue as to what these are.  I picked a variation of about 4lbs to examine them closely.  Do not worry, there were tons left behind.

It has been raining for over a week while remaining overcast during the daytime.  Temperatures steady at around 50-60 degrees while during the nighttime reaching close to frost conditions. 

If anyone has any clue on these it would be appreciated.  If you are easily able to arrive at a conclusion of what it is, please let me know the main factor that lead you to conclude on that particular species.  I am not just seeking a cheap thrill, I am generally interested in learning how to identify many varieties of mushrooms whether they are active or not. 

Have a ton of mycology books and am just attempting to learn what seems like a second language when it comes to identing.  lol They do not make a mushroom book for dumbies.  That is quite clear. 

Overall these were very beautiful eye-catching mushrooms and I would love to know what they are. 

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Slowly learning from you, David Arora, and Paul Stamets

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinerope

Re: ID request North East Missouri [Re: Greegus]
    #11330370 - 10/27/09 11:21 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

honey mushroom would be my guess... but its just that, a guess :P

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: ID request North East Missouri [Re: rope]
    #11330476 - 10/27/09 11:45 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

When drying out, the ring or annulus did not persist.  Also none of these were actually growing from wood.  The one picture I threw up there is misleading since it was growing out from under this wood but not actually attached to the wood in that cluster. 

Yeah I simply do not know enough to determine if that is what they are or not but I do appreciate you pointing me in that direction so I could check. 

I will read up more on it and see.  From all other pictures I see of the species you suggested, it looked as if there is a ring that remains on the stem.  The annulus on these I were finding was somewhat, and I hope I am using this term right, strigose?  Plus the stem was very dark and has been drying to black almost.  I will take some quick shots of what they look like now that some are getting semi-dry if that will help? 

I never can find the right lighting to snap these pictures in either it seems.  IN the forest it is too dark and the flash seems to make them look entirely different than what I am seeing by naked eye.  Plus I apparently can't get a shot of them without the flash or it turns out just plain dark or blurry as well as underexposed. 

Anyways thank you for your help.  I am still open to any other suggestions or ideas of what it might be.  Should have those pictures posted in the next hour.  Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: ID request North East Missouri [Re: rope]
    #11330624 - 10/27/09 12:12 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblemattianyb
~MYCOPHAGIA~

Re: ID request North East Missouri [Re: Greegus]
    #11330850 - 10/27/09 01:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

honey mushrooms. sometimes wood debris can be found in the ground and not be seen giving the mushroom a terrestrial appearence. (please wait for a TI, i am by no means an expert in identifying mushrooms) - mattian

--------------------

[quote]Bretdaniel said:
Any idea's what they might be? Think any are eatable?[/quote]
:rofl2:

everything i post on this site is fake, i never partake in illegal activities.

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: ID request North East Missouri [Re: mattianyb]
    #11332728 - 10/27/09 06:30 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you very much.  I am going to have to donate since I have hardly any posts or I would rate ya. 

Appreciate both of your all's time.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification