Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChewy?
We are all equal
Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Humidity with Casings, question on teks
    #1132919 - 12/11/02 04:38 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Hiya, long time reader first time poster, or something like that. I am getting ready to begin fruiting my cakes and I have decided to just fruit the cakes with no casing while using perlite as the humidifier. I was wondering if I choose to do a 50/50 casing with another set of colonized cakes, would I have to use a humidifier to get a low enough humidity for the casings, or is there a way to use perlite and lower the humidity enough for use with casings as well. Sorry if the post is a little word, thanks for all the advice in the past, present and future:)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Humidity with Casings, question on teks [Re: Chewy?]
    #1132923 - 12/11/02 04:39 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

well u can use the seran wrap tek by crabbyass search for it in the growlo. casings need 95+% RH to introduce pinning. after pins u need 85-92%RH since the casing layer provides moisture.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: Humidity with Casings, question on teks [Re: Chewy?]
    #1133388 - 12/11/02 07:45 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

the supposed deal with perlite is that you don't need to worry about humidity at all provided the perlite is properly hydrated.....then it's just a matter of temps and o2 exchange....

I don't get why you would want to use a humidifier to lower your humidity. If anything it would make MORE humidity than perlite will. Just lower to the proper fruiting temps and see where you are......

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Humidity with Casings, question on teks [Re: upupup]
    #1133416 - 12/11/02 07:53 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

well the actual deal with perlite is its really hard to control humidity at that 85-92 level and usually perlite gives u 95+% RH which is good for cakes and not casings. but a tub of perlite can be used but one would need to have a hygrometer to kind of at least get a sense of where the RH is even tho hygrometers are usually unreliable things they can be calibrated check the FAQ's.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: Humidity with Casings, question on teks [Re: socratesmind]
    #1133520 - 12/11/02 08:19 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

that's why I said supposed deal...
Frank found it way tough to control, prone to contam, and just a freaking mess to deal with....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Edited by upupup (03/15/03 09:07 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation