Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Loc: Grey Area
Dirty/unsterile/precontaminated petris from a vendor?
    #11325464 - 10/26/09 06:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

So usually I can pour a sleeve of 20 petris in my glovebox, and whatever I don't use the next day I just wrap back up in the sleeve and leave them in the back corner of my box until I need them... I have left them in there for like a month before with no problem at all...

So recently I tried another vendor for my petris (they start with a "C") as opposed to my usual Sporeworks petris since I wanted to try the 3-sectional ones; and like within a week they were all very contaminated... I always follow the same glovebox procedure so I don't think that was at fault...

Coincidentally none of the ones I started culture on got contaminated, just the ones I left wrapped up in the box- Is it possible that I got a dirty sleeve? Anyone ever had problems with that happening?

The reason I suspect this is because they were almost all contam'd, not just the ones on the bottom as I imagine would have been what would have happened if some contams had crept in through the folded up sleeve... Also I can rule out the agar itself because the other brand of petris I poured at the same time were fine...

Any Ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dirty/unsterile/precontaminated petris from a vendor? [Re: CDS]
    #11325949 - 10/26/09 07:11 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CDS said:
Coincidentally none of the ones I started culture on got contaminated, just the ones I left wrapped up in the box-
Any Ideas?

That makes it sound like the dishes were originally sterile and something about your box wasn't.  If the dishes were still sealed up in the sleeve they came in, they should be sterile.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: Dirty/unsterile/precontaminated petris from a vendor? [Re: CDS]
    #11326795 - 10/26/09 08:48 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CDS said:
Also I can rule out the agar itself because the other brand of petris I poured at the same time were fine...

Any Ideas?

was there a pause between pouring, maybe you poured these last and the agar had time to contam?

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Edited by Slimz (10/26/09 08:49 PM)

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Loc: Grey Area
Re: Dirty/unsterile/precontaminated petris from a vendor? [Re: Slimz]
    #11330290 - 10/27/09 11:02 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

That makes sense... I guess I will do a test; I still have some left from the same lot.

But lets say I have 10 or so petris in a sleeve, and I slide the sleeve down around them so that they are as far towards the top as they can go, and then I fold the loose bottom portion of the sleeve over onto itself a few times, and then I sit the top portion with the petris in it down so the folded up portion is held under and wedged under the top...

Can contams still get in? I mean these contams were talking about dont have feet or anything, right? I assumed they pretty much go where the wind goes, so to speak- and some of them fall with gravity, but they cant travel through plastic or through the semi-tight folds thereof, right?

-Thanks

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation