Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal.
    #11322552 - 10/26/09 03:07 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds ridiculous but here is why...

If there was one thing somebody could do to get as many curious people as possible to try something, it would be banning it.
Just think about all the idiot kids taking it. Well, I'm not going into it to deeply why this is a good thing, but lets just say, no matter how daft you are, this stuff will bring some wonder into your life. That is exactly what we are lacking, wonder. We need that "Holy Shit" factor desperately in our lives. It is what is lacking in this society, no more REAL "Holy Shit" moments. I've realized this after taking a 12ft fall (and coming off with a couple of bruises, a 1 inch long, 1/2 inch wide, gash in my foot, and a wound on my hand.) and finding that I was in a better mental condition AFTER the fall...

We need to have that Holy Shit moment more often... 5g of mushrooms = guaranteed Holy Shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInnoculus
 User Gallery

Loc: 0.0.0.1
Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: The Centre]
    #11322614 - 10/26/09 03:42 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Pretty sure I went over this in my head during a trip or two.

Definitely seems best this way.  Those who are interested will seek out what they wish.  No law or man will stop them.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: Innoculus]
    #11322631 - 10/26/09 03:51 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

While I agree that these types of drugs are only meant for some of us...I shouldn't have to watch my back when buying LSD or growing cannabis or shrooms.

Its kind of a bad situation all around. I would hate for some people to be able to freely go get some psychedelic drugs because they don't fucking need them and it would ruin the experience in my opinion for us.

--------------------

OfflineTryptamineDream
Stranger
Female
Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: Innoculus]
    #11322636 - 10/26/09 03:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

What about the good, honest, innocent people who are imprisoned for partaking in or spreading the experience of tripping? There are a quite a few implications to what you're saying which I don't think you considered, the aforementioned being only one. I don't think there are really that many people who would try tripping merely due to curiosity inspired by its illegality. I think far more people would be interested in trying psychedelics were they not afraid due to their illegality and the surrounding misinformation/propaganda.

Offlinetha_doctor
student of the Plant Teachers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Melbourne
Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: TryptamineDream]
    #11322669 - 10/26/09 04:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Teenagers in America say they find it harder to buy beer than cannabis. This is obviously because when you go to buy alcohol, you need your ID. However, when buying illegal drugs, a dealer would be more than happy selling them to a young teenager. So, if some illegal drugs could be legally purchased at a drug store, less teenagers would be using them simply because they'd have the same difficulty buying them as they currently do with alcohol. Not to mention, if some illegal drugs could be legally purchased, the government could collect taxes from these new sales and would save billions on funding the "War on Drugs".

Offlinegroovin
Stranger

Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: tha_doctor]
    #11322707 - 10/26/09 05:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i definitely agree with you idea of the 'holy shit' factor. first time i took acid i was so shocked by the experience. Still after many trips later cant believe how amazing it is.

Offlinecrkhd
☾☼☽

Loc: A human sphere enfolding ...
Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: groovin]
    #11322823 - 10/26/09 06:49 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree entirely, the "holy shit" factor is exactly what makes life worth living. When one is depressed, there is no "holy shit" factor in their lives.

Hence why it is important to defecate when going to church.

--------------------

"Everything there is, and all that there is, is a Pattern of unspeakable proportion. The Pattern contains everything that is, completely fixed in succession, all the minimal particles interconnected in every way that is. Every way that is is not every conceivable way, because not everything that can be conceived is manifest in the pattern."

"THE Human, you, is a miniscule but essential part of that pattern. In it lies complete fulfillment. It will never become something it is not, but it will never need to be anything else." - Wiccan_Seeker

"If boring drudgery was the way of the universe, everything would have killed itself long ago." - Spacerific

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: crkhd]
    #11323208 - 10/26/09 09:30 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Trust me, I considered everything, and if there is one thing I've learned through psychedelics, it is that everything that happens is perfect, otherwise it wouldn't happen.

We need to learn to stand up for ourselves, and not take shit, and I feel the only way we are going to actually do anything is if it stays illegal, because I can promise you right now more than 50% of the people making an effort to change the world do so because drugs are illegal. People are lazy asses, and they won't do anything about anything if it doesn't affect them at the very moment of it happening.

I've realized that we have it easy, very easy. It is just shunned and punished enough for people to take action, and it is just tolerated enough for it to flourish.

Sure it isn't easy, but think about it, our situation is much like the early christians, and we believe in the same principles, and now, although altered, it is the biggest religion in the world. Infact, all the banning and torture and impaling ect only put fuel on the fire that is the Christian belief system. The one thing that I feel makes this different is that it is an experience, not a dogma, so it is much more difficult (not impossible.) to corrupt, as the Christian dogma got corrupted. Dogmas may come and go, but the important thing is, two things must be understood, it matters not how you do it, do what works for YOU, and stick to it. And, the second thing, experience is the only thing that you can at all have any trust in what so ever.

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

#11323218 - 10/26/09 09:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

skalthren said:
What about the good, honest, innocent people who are imprisoned for partaking in or spreading the experience of tripping? There are a quite a few implications to what you're saying which I don't think you considered, the aforementioned being only one. I don't think there are really that many people who would try tripping merely due to curiosity inspired by its illegality. I think far more people would be interested in trying psychedelics were they not afraid due to their illegality and the surrounding misinformation/propaganda.

I doubt they would know of the existence of psychedelics if it wasn't for the illegality. I know I didn't know about psychedelics, till I started smoking weed. If I knew about psychedelics I would have tuned in, turned on, and dropped out, when I was 7.

Offlinepdxgal79
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11323582 - 10/26/09 10:58 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

skalthren said:

I agree.  I didn't try anything until I was 29 because of the illegality taboo and I was always working for companies that conducted random drug screens.  When I did finally try illicit substances, it wasn't for the "rush" of doing something dangerous/criminal, it was simply for the experience, knowledge, self-awareness; those reasons were powerful enough for me to take a risk.

OfflineStaleShrooms
human after all
Male

Loc: Detroit
    #11323593 - 10/26/09 11:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

the people that try psychedelics because they are banned are not necessarily the type of people (or are just people in the wrong mindset) that should be trying psychedelics in the first place.

although i have to admit this probably contributed to why i got into psychedelics.  but the people who do them without much knowledge on them are really putting them selves at risk for mental catastrophie. in retrospect, my first trip was not such a bright idea and it could have gone horribly if not for some offhand advice a few friends had given me that i didnt think about until i was on the come up and experiencing the "what did i just put into my system? am i gunna be alright? what is this gunna feel like?" type anxiety. i like to think that all the knowledge I've gained since my first trip has equipped me with the tools i need to consume psylociben safely.  i'd be willing to bet though, that a bunch of people take shrooms in the wrong set and setting, with the wrong mindset (i know mindset is included in set and setting) and have terrible times that may haunt them for years to come.

also, (atleast for me) the worry of being caught and feeling like you are engaging in something socially taboo is a source of trip anxiety (atleast on the come-up)

--------------------
Kick is seeing things from a special angle. Kick is momentary freedom from the claims of the aging, cautious, nagging, frightened flesh. Maybe I will find in yage what I was looking for in junk and weed and coke. Yage may be the final fix.

~William S. Burroughs

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: StaleShrooms]
    #11323617 - 10/26/09 11:06 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know. I think the best way would be for psychedelics to be legal for those over the age of 18, and you have to have a license to possess them, which must be earned through thorough education about their effects, safety, and basic chemistry.

--------------------

Edited by NetDiver (10/26/09 11:06 AM)

Offlineemeraldlife88
Emerald

Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: NetDiver]
    #11324604 - 10/26/09 01:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I actually like you're idea of having a license to use them. It should not be a grueling process, and I don't think basic chemistry should be included at all, but you should be required to know something about the physical and certainly the mental effects.

Of course, I do not truly believe that. If things were perfect and my way, psychedelics would be free for everyone.

OfflineStaleShrooms
human after all
Male

Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: emeraldlife88]
    #11326625 - 10/26/09 06:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

emeraldlife88 said:
I actually like you're idea of having a license to use them. It should not be a grueling process, and I don't think basic chemistry should be included at all, but you should be required to know something about the physical and certainly the mental effects.

Of course, I do not truly believe that. If things were perfect and my way, psychedelics would be free for everyone.

why wouldnt you want people who decide to use psychedelics to be educated? i suppose it is still the witholding a substance by a government, but it would drastically reduce the number of cases of people taking way too much their first time and running into real trouble, putting psychedelics in a bad light.

--------------------
Kick is seeing things from a special angle. Kick is momentary freedom from the claims of the aging, cautious, nagging, frightened flesh. Maybe I will find in yage what I was looking for in junk and weed and coke. Yage may be the final fix.

~William S. Burroughs

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

#11329642 - 10/27/09 03:50 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You know, the big reason I say this is because otherwise I can bet you a million bucks if they could get rid of the hippies without making it illegal, nobody would have ever known about mushrooms. I mean, you don't really know about a substance till it becomes illegal. And it would evoke much curiosity in most people, they might hear about it, and then just forget about it, but if it is illegal, it sticks in there minds a bit, and then they might want to know why is it illegal, what does it do, is it justly illegal? Inquiring people might just look it up...

OfflineInnoculus
 User Gallery

Loc: 0.0.0.1
    #11331820 - 10/27/09 01:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah honestly, I don't give half a shit about MOST of the chemicals that are legal.

Offlinetha_doctor
student of the Plant Teachers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Melbourne
    #11821060 - 01/13/10 10:25 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Read Terence McKenna's book called Food of the Gods

Offlinebookert263
Stranger

Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: tha_doctor]
    #11821458 - 01/13/10 11:44 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I think it should be illegal just to make it harder to get. Just to make it less obtainable by the people who aren't that into it. If they were readily available, people would buy them without knowing what they're getting into. I just think the drugs should be decriminalize so responsible people don't have to worry about getting in trouble.

OfflineStaleShrooms
human after all
Male

Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: bookert263]
    #11821579 - 01/13/10 12:07 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

would you buy tylenol and then take the whole bottle for a headache? no. the bottle clearly indicates how it is to be used and for what purpose. do you buy a case of beer and down the entire thing before going to work? if you want to keep your job you dont.

most people are smart enough to use harmful substances appropriately. and the ones that arent die. people die from alchohol and tylenol every year. does the government protect those people from themselves? no. the government has no interest in protecting people from harmful substances and they have never taken up this position in the past. you can hurt yourself with just about anything.  to select psychedelics as substances to be withheld is to overstep their boundries as a government. if they are going to go into the business of protecting us from ourselves, they have a lot of work to do. and their effort is disproportionately rationed out to the DEA and drug laws.

--------------------

~William S. Burroughs

OfflineLizardman
Reptilian Space Pope
Male

Loc: Downriver from Sandoz
Re: It is a good thing that psychedelics are illegal. [Re: pdxgal79]
    #11821703 - 01/13/10 12:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I smelled something trollish at first when i read the title. Good this doesn't seem to be the case. I still have to object, though.
LSD started to gain it's most widespread popularity when it was still legal. It was only banned in the US in 1966, even later in other places (1971 in Germany, for example; psycholytic research in the CSSR went on even longer).
The ban was a reaction to it's increasing popularity, not the other way around.

Psychedelics where mostly restricted to intellectual circles in the industrialized world before they became illegalized and subjected to scare tactic propaganda because there was no widespread, heavily drug-influenced counterculture around before the 1960s.
People simply didn't know, but this changed quickly while all psychedelics where still readily available.
As soon as LSD moved out of research projects and Hofmann's private circle of friends and received widespread media attention in the 1950s, it rapidly rose in popularity, having become the new "wonder drug" by the start of the 60s, openly endorsed by Hollywood icons such as Cary Grant. Thousands of people gathered at the acid tests held by the Merry Pranksters, which would not have been possible with an illegalized substance. It was all over the newspapers, with journalists doing research for these articles by visiting psychiatrists to get a dose as well.
If you want to turn on as many people as possible, prohibition makes matters more difficult.

In addition to this, we have the usual drawbacks from prohibition : unclear doses, unknown quality, possible adulterants (though the presence of DOx line chemicals seems exaggerated to me, it is a concern).
Not to mention the possible consequences on the setting.
It would be so much better to be able to trip openly, probably even book a vacation to a specialized tripping resort.
Ever read trip reports from people who got arrested while tripping?
Ever noticed how many youngsters have to deal with a sub-par, anxiety-ridden setting because they don't want their parents to know they are experimenting with an illegalized drug?
How many traumatizing experiences could be avoided if this wasn't an issue?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds