Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineM8M
Stranger
Nubie looking for info and a helping hand
    #11322984 - 10/26/09 10:02 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I am a senior citizen nubie that wants to start growing my edibles instead of walking all over hells half acre trying to find them.  I have spent the last year or so experimenting with cloning store bought mushrooms in LC and innoculating rye grain and sawdust.  Now I would like to build a flow hood and begin experimenting with agar so it is easier to eliminate contaminants. I have  the materials but need to know how much airflow do I need.  I have read articles that give cubic feet/sec etc. but that does not help as I cant measure it.  I have a double squirrel cage blower that I was going to draw air into it through a HEPA vacum cleaner bag and then push the air through a HEPA furnace filter into the flow hood.  Should the air flow be enough to blow your hair back or just barely be able to feel it?  I have powdered agar and petri dishes (square, gridded) from a local biotech firm but I need a culture to work with.  I would love to obtain a sample of a cold weather Shiitake.(a spawn plug, tissue,??)  I have done a clone from a store bought, indoor grown Shiitake but I imagine it is a warm weather strain that will not do well outside in my northern climate.  It was contaminated, however, I think I have it clean now after half a dozen transfers in LC by transferring just a strand of myc after a day or two of growth.  Myc now is just pure white and the grain is not contaminating.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineurbanfarmer
l'estranger
Re: Nubie looking for info and a helping hand [Re: M8M]
    #11323443 - 10/26/09 12:30 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Flowhood

You're looking for a candle flame to blow back at 45 deg or better.  Remember to account for the reduced CFM of the fan at whatever static pressure the filter has (usually  .7" to 1.2").

OfflineMigraine
Expanding Life
 User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Nubie looking for info and a helping hand [Re: urbanfarmer]
    #11324310 - 10/26/09 03:05 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I suggest you make sure your fan can have a speed control attached.

Then use a larger fan than required and obtain desired airflow by adjusting speed.

Take the CFM of your fan after you take into account the static drop from the filter (you you use a larger fan than required, as I suggested above, you don't need to consider this.

You are looking for airflow of 100 to 200 ft/min coming off the face of the filter.

Find the frontal area of the filter's face in square inches.  Divide that by 144 to give you square ft.  Multiple that by your wanted air flow in ft/sec (100 to 200) and that will give you the minimum CFM required - NOT TAKING Static loss into account.

I used a Vortex inline fan - 1200 CFM.  I power it via a router speed control from Harbor Freight.

My Flow hood is 30in X 30in.

I get the required airflow easily and still have speed range to crank up the fan's CFM as the filter ages and starts to fill up.

I feel a nice breeze when sitting in front of the hood - there is NO way something is going to fall into the top of that stream and make it into my work.

I am operating around 100 to 125 f/min.

Here's my math --- ((30x30)/144)*200) = 1250 CFM.

Edited by Migraine (10/26/09 08:32 PM)

InvisiblePsilocelium
illegitimately literal Latin
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ----_---_--_
Re: Nubie looking for info and a helping hand [Re: Migraine]
    #11336342 - 10/28/09 05:04 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I'm up north too, I have a Shiitake strain, but not sure if it's cold weather or not.

--------------------
_-_--->My Trade List<---_-_
Visit Us at The Earth Garden!

OfflineM8M
Stranger
Re: Nubie looking for info and a helping hand [Re: urbanfarmer]
    #11336652 - 10/28/09 08:20 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks Urban farmer, that is the info that I can understand.  I have no way to measure the airflow etc. but the "Candle" test will put me in the ballpark.  Also a good link provided.

OfflineM8M
Stranger
Re: Nubie looking for info and a helping hand [Re: Psilocelium]
    #11338191 - 10/28/09 02:35 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Psilocelium
I have a warm weather, indoor grown culture that I have been cleaning up using LC but am going to check it out on agar.  Really want to get a cold weather strain.  No sign of that Wild Agaricus Campestris print as yet.

InvisiblePsilocelium
illegitimately literal Latin
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ----_---_--_
Re: Nubie looking for info and a helping hand [Re: M8M]
    #11341915 - 10/28/09 11:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, did you request one of those from me?

Oh yeah you did. I just looked back in my messages.

Yup, yours hasn't been sent out yet. There are several more people that chimed in after the first wave had been sent out.

I haven't gotten anymore requests lately so I believe I will get those in the mail tomorrow along with a couple other trades.

Dont worry, it's on the way!:thumbup:

--------------------
_-_--->My Trade List<---_-_
Visit Us at The Earth Garden!

Edited by Psilocelium (10/28/09 11:35 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms