Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Gypsum, Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineButtsack
Stranger
Mulching Horse Poo And Making Compost?
    #11322156 - 10/26/09 02:13 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I collect horse poo from a local paddock but sometimes it's not always aged. The fresh stuff I have is spread out on my lawn where I'm letting it dry out in the sun. Once it's dry I soak it with the hose and let it dry again so it is leached and bleached from the sun.

Am I doing the right thing by doing this?

Because the horse poo is in large chunks I have to crush it up in my hands to keep it consistent. This is very time consuming so I was looking at an alternative like an electric mulcher.

Would a mulcher do the job or is there another cheaper way to mulch it?

I've also been looking into making compost and from what I've read it is much better for bulk tubs. I was thinking of making a rotating compost bin but I'm not sure what ingredient's I should put in it to get the most out of it.

Could someone please tell me what ingredients would be best for the compost? At the moment I just mix crushed horse poo with 10%-15% Vermiculite and 5% Gypsum.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHumbled
Seeking Truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mulching Horse Poo And Making Compost? [Re: Buttsack]
    #11322378 - 10/26/09 03:57 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

An electric mulcher would get the job done quick alright. No the cheapest though. I dunno, a rake/ shovel would work to break the bigger pieces.

Your hands ultimately are involved anyway. You cant really escape that one.

For the best compost, I think that one is yet to be figured out, and whoever already has, prolly wont say.

Here's a crude one from a Paul Stamets' Book. He has a few great Guides in his publication's. These are somewhat bigger proportions than you want I would guess, you do the math.

Formula 1
                          Wet WGHT.  %H2o  %N
Horse Manure              2,000      50      %1
Cottonseed Meal            30          10    %6.5
Gypsum                    50          -      -

This formula makes approximately 2800 pounds of compost at a 71% moisture content.

I'm sure you could substitute straw for the Cottonseed meal, or at least replace or add to the mix for moisture holding/supplemental value.

The leaching part I believe you have about right. Maybe another hosing before you use it? Never gotten manure that fresh before.

--------------------
_-_--->My Trade List<---_-_

OfflineButtsack
Stranger
Re: Mulching Horse Poo And Making Compost? [Re: Humbled]
    #11329771 - 10/27/09 07:33 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for that Psilocelium.

I've been looking at some second hand mulchers so I think I might buy one as soon as I see one cheap enough.

With the leeching I was going to do it about 3-4 times of full soaking over a week or 2, depending on how dry it gets.

Would this be a good mix? Or could someone elaborate on it a bit more?
Quote:

resptodd said:
I'll be cool. A good mix of both works out well. I have 2 bins, 1 with those perfect little golf ball sized turds, and 1 with a shredded Hpoo and wheat straw mix. Both bins have added compost activator(blend of beneficial bacteria and enzymes). Once the composting process starts and the bins start generating their own heat, I mix the 2 into a 55 gallon barrel, add blood meal, poultry poo, cotton seed hulls/meal, linoleic acid, molasses. After a couple weeks, I start adjusting the pH to neutral. Composted Hpoo mushroom substrate.

Or does anyone know of another good mix?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Gypsum, Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation