Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Pink Floyd

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana....
    #11320836 - 10/25/09 10:17 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

October 25th 2009 - Washington Post

ORLEANS, CALIF. -- What does a tough Mexican army major barking orders in the outlaw hills of the Sierra Madre have in common with the laconic sheriff detective from the north woods of California who puts a marijuana sticker on his truck as a joke?

They are both professional weed-whackers committed to the cause -- the hard, dirty, difficult destruction of marijuana out in the fields, plant by plant. Mexico has the largest marijuana eradication operation in the world, followed by the United States. It is a downright Sisyphean task.

October is harvest time. Marijuana bushes as burly as Christmas trees are hidden between the corn stalks above the beaches of Acapulco, and the buds are swelling o n the steep hills of California's Six Rivers National Forest. There is also a thriving indoor business, almost impossible to find. The United Nations says 145 million pounds of marijuana was grown last year, with Morocco, Paraguay, Mexico and the United States the top-producing countries.

Here are two men trying to whittle that number down.

Maj. Hugo de la Rosa is a commander in Military Zone 35, a wild mountainous region where they once produced the legendary strain known as Acapulco Gold, back when Pink Floyd ruled arena rock.

There are five full army battalions stationed here, and though troops render assistance during natural disasters, what they do most is search for opium poppies and marijuana bushes. It is an army whose enemy is a plant -- grown by ghosts. The farmers are almost never caught, and rarely arrested.

De la Rosa and his troops leave their fortified base in a convoy of five trucks -- like an occupying army moving through hostile territory. Earlier this month, a dozen mutilated bodies were dumped here, the killers leaving taunting notes warning soldiers to back off. The commander snaps at his turret gunner to look sharp.

Ten minutes outside of town, a man on a horse waves soldiers over and points to a new Volkswagen abandoned in the trees, always a bad sign.

"There's somebody inside," the cowboy says.

The soldiers pop the trunk, and discover a man, blindfolded, his hands and feet bound. Not moving. The soldiers jump when he begins to moan.

De la Rosa betrays little sympathy. He says the guy is likely a trafficker who crossed a rival. That's how he ended up in a trunk. "This is a dangerous place," the major says.

Four hours later, driving 5 mph on jarring, rutted roads, the convoy arrives at a gorge above a roaring stream. It begins to rain as soldiers slide through the brush and come upon an acre of marijuana planted among rows of corn, a common strategy to conceal the illicit crops from army helicopters and Mexican navy satellites overhead.

Drenched, the soldiers rip plants out of the ground by hand and stoke a huge bonfire. They are careful not to destroy the corn. That's the unknown farmer's only income now. De la Rosa guesses the field would have produced 600 pounds of marijuana, worth about $15,000 for the farmer. That is a rich man in rural Mexico. The same field of corn would barely keep them alive.

Who is growing the marijuana? "The people in the village, the guy on the donkey," the major said. "The mother? She is on the radio and warns them when we come. The sons work the field. The daughter cooks their lunch. The uncle organizes the harvest. The father takes the money. It is a family business."

Sgt. Wayne Hanson is head of the marijuana unit for the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office. It is not the kind of job you take to win a popularity contest here.

As dawn lifts in northern California, Hanson is one of 16 agents from four state agencies rumbling through the Six Rivers National Forest in 14 vehicles. Hanson brings a bemused irony to his task. He drives a gray Expedition with a Humboldt County sticker on the rear window, a marijuana leaf superimposed over the name of the nation's unofficial capital of weed.

Hanson said he favors legalizing pot, for no other reason than he thinks it would put the traffickers who are ruining the forests out of business and force all the people growing it "to go out and get a job."

Hanson was mowing his lawn recently when he smelled marijuana. He peeked over the neighbor's fence.

"If a guy's growing dope and he knows I'm the detective sergeant running the marijuana program, it's pretty cotton-pickin' rampa nt, I think," he deadpans.

The air begins to thump, and a Hughes 500 helicopter lands on the road. The helicopter uses a rope to airlift agents, two by two, into a nearby marijuana grove on a steep hillside. Some agents yell wooo-hooo as they swing above the trees.

Hanson stays behind. The helicopter reappears, this time carrying 400-pound bales of marijuana. The smell is overpowering as the marijuana descends toward a long trailer attached to a pickup. Loose marijuana is falling to the earth. The helicopter returns with another load. Then another. "Uh, I think we may be exceeding the capacity of this trailer," the National Guardsman says.

"We'll just tie that puppy down," says Hanson.

The guardsman jumps on the marijuana, packing it down. Hanson produces straps, but huge buds are already scattering on the ground, each one worth hundreds of dollars.

There's so much pot that it's impossible to burn it all, so the sheriff buries it at an undisclosed location.

This one job takes four hours and 30 separate trips for the helicopter. They add up the haul: 2,279 plants destroyed. The sweaty agents are sticky with pot resin that won't scrub off in the shower.

"Sometimes pieces fall off the truck, and people run out into the traffic to pick it up," says the guardsman, a veteran who fought in Iraq and asks not to be identified. "Yeah," says Hanson. "It's like a Brink's truck with dollar bills falling off of it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11320856 - 10/25/09 10:19 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It's cool that they leave the farmer's corn.

And it's fucking nuts that they bury that shit somewhere in California...

OfflineGanjaburger
mushroom aficionado
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest Flag
Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11320958 - 10/25/09 10:30 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

id be pickin up every last piece!

--------------------

Trade /sell list...plenty of cube prints....microscope, two hundred dollar brand new Aerobed, and a ti-84+ calculator....

OfflineJackofSpades
Peace
Male

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: Ganjaburger]
    #11321439 - 10/25/09 11:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Legalize Marijuana...Just fucking Legalize it...

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and  you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Invisibleillumine
Male

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... *DELETED* [Re: JackofSpades]
    #11321710 - 10/26/09 12:40 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by illumine

Reason for deletion: ...

Edited by illumine (10/26/09 12:50 AM)

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: illumine]
    #11321714 - 10/26/09 12:41 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

They probably don't feel the way we do.

They think the same of us.

Offlinewalzmanm
Living, not merely existing
Male User Gallery

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: JackofSpades]
    #11321732 - 10/26/09 12:44 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Buried marijuana in California....

Treasure hunt anyone?

--------------------

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: walzmanm]
    #11321735 - 10/26/09 12:46 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Probably rotten already....

I am sure there were seeds in there though.:thumbup:

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

#11322316 - 10/26/09 02:57 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I wish 100 of those helicopters would station themselves 30ft above my house for a few hours...

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: The Centre]
    #11322427 - 10/26/09 04:09 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

???

Invisiblestedenko
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #11322729 - 10/26/09 07:40 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Mexican navy satellites
Funny

--------------------
Ratings are bullshit, opt out...
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10525736#10525736

Offlinemyco99
myconade
Male User Gallery

Loc: USS Eldridge
Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: The Centre]
    #11322741 - 10/26/09 07:53 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The Centre said:
I wish 100 of those helicopters would station themselves 30ft above my house for a few hours...

Why, do you have a stock of surface to air missiles?  Or do you just want to wave at them?

--------------------
143/0x63/99...It's like watching the mycelium grow...
WARNING: You must be 21 years of age to experience hallucinations.

Offlinewowitch17
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Loc: Chile
Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: stedenko]
    #11323775 - 10/26/09 01:37 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

stedenko said:
Mexican navy satellites
Funny

lol right

--------------------

InvisibleLivioDoubleFang
Outlaw of the Midwest
Male

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: wowitch17]
    #11324150 - 10/26/09 02:39 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

they will never win, these two idiots need to be focusing on the real drugs like fucking crack, heroin, and meth.

--------------------
Race/Strain Varieties

Want/Trade List

Vendor List

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"    -Gandhi

“I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coastguard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable” - Alexander Shulgin

Invisibleuber_aj
Goodbye Shroomery!
Male

Loc: Much love to you all
Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: LivioDoubleFang]
    #11324395 - 10/26/09 03:17 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LivioDoubleFang said:
they will never win, these two idiots need to be focusing on the real drugs like fucking crack, heroin, and meth.

What makes you think that they'd do any better against those drugs? Demand will always lead to supply.

Offlinemyco99
myconade
Male User Gallery

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: uber_aj]
    #11324468 - 10/26/09 03:27 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

uber_aj said:
Quote:

LivioDoubleFang said:

What makes you think that they'd do any better against those drugs? Demand will always lead to supply.

Not to mention that is the very same attitude that allows any substance to be declared illegal in the first place.  If you are for self determination regarding substances, then don't declare those substances just outside of what *you* do as the "bad drugs".  Personal responsibility and moderation are key in all pursuits.

--------------------

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: From Mexico to California, Two Men on the Hunt for Illicit Marijuana.... [Re: myco99]
    #11324546 - 10/26/09 03:39 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

My definition of a "bad drug":

One that may kill you.

Sometimes I do bad drugs, and sometimes I do good drugs. If you smoke pot, you don't have to like meth. If you rail coke, you don't have to like mushrooms.

I hate how people get so bent out of shape when someone is a "drug elitist". I have tried plenty of drugs, and have the right to think that some are bad, while some are not.

It is only wrong when you don't know anything about drugs, but still bash them. I can bash any drug that I have tried, or have lost family and friends to.

Everyone has the right to put whatever they want into their body, but the bottom line is that you cannot compare smoking pot to slamming dope.

There is nothing wrong with smoking a joint and not wanting your neighbors house to explode in a rain of meth chemicals...

Offlinemyco99
myconade
Male User Gallery

#11324872 - 10/26/09 04:23 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Twiztidsage said:
My definition of a "bad drug":

One that may kill you.

Sometimes I do bad drugs, and sometimes I do good drugs. If you smoke pot, you don't have to like meth. If you rail coke, you don't have to like mushrooms.

I hate how people get so bent out of shape when someone is a "drug elitist". I have tried plenty of drugs, and have the right to think that some are bad, while some are not.

It is only wrong when you don't know anything about drugs, but still bash them. I can bash any drug that I have tried, or have lost family and friends to.

Everyone has the right to put whatever they want into their body, but the bottom line is that you cannot compare smoking pot to slamming dope.

There is nothing wrong with smoking a joint and not wanting your neighbors house to explode in a rain of meth chemicals...

I agree, a rain of meth chemicals is bad.  Nevertheless, you either agree that, on principle alone, every person should determine what he takes, or you don't. 

While I agree that some drugs are "bad", I would not impose my views on anyone else.  This is my hesitancy in labeling any substance as bad.  Since this thread was initially about cops finding and destroying "bad" drugs, I responded to the use of "bad" in the same context, ie., those that should be considered illegal.

--------------------

Offlineshroomgatherer
Connoisseur of the finer things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #11325113 - 10/26/09 05:00 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The Centre said:

Me too, it would be a nice harvest and fun to gather!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Pink Floyd

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: motaman, karode13, Alan Rockefeller, naum, Mostly_Harmless
2,533 topic views. 2 members, 5 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2017 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 19 queries.