Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHemlock

Folding@home Statistics
Materials for Small Edibles Farm.
    #11290220 - 10/21/09 03:56 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hello everyone,

Long-time reader, first time poster here. In the next month or so I'm going to be starting up a small farm for local business selling fresh edibles (between 200 and 400 fresh lbs. per month), and perhaps eventually online selling/donating cultures and spores. I was wondering if you might be able to give me a bit of feedback on my materials list. I haven`t ordered anything yet, but that will be taking place in the next week or so. Definitely have to keep it small, as my budget is only ~$1000.00 CAD.  Here's what I have so far:

Spores/cultures - $100.00 - $137.00

Pressure Cooker - $75.00 - $190.00

Vermiculite - $10.00 - $25.00

Brown Rice Flour - $15.00

Rye Seed - $25.00

Jars - $30.00

Plastic storage Bins - $20.00-$50.00

Hygrometers - $50.00-$100.00

Alcohol Burner - $10.00-$15.00

Alcohol - $5.00-$7.00

Lysol/Bleach Spray - $3.00-$5.00

Plastic sheeting - $25.00-$40.00

Straw - $15.00-$20.00

Scrap Plexiglass - $0.00-$10.00

Straw Log Casings - $20.00

Agar mix - $20.00-$40.00

Disposable Petri Dishes - $20.00-$40.00

Boards - $15.00

Plastic sheeting - $40.00

Insulation - $20.00

Totals: $485.00-$800.00

These prices are based mostly on internet research, and thus aren't definitive by any means. Would you say there are any other materials that I might need or want? A laminar flow hood would be nice, but they seem to be rather pricey. I think I'll be sticking to a glove box for a while.

Your feedback is much appreciated, thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: Hemlock]
    #11290740 - 10/21/09 09:00 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Flow hood is essential. I don't mean to be a jerk, but you are going to learn the hard way on this.

I hope you aren't the only one doing the labor.

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: b3jamboree]
    #11290775 - 10/21/09 09:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

No need to start with that high of an investment at first. Some of the things you listed are not necessary.

Start with a culture syringe of oyster mushrooms, a pressure cooker, grains, old spaghetti sauce jars with a polyfil filter from an old stuffed animal, trash bags and straw.

Just doing some practice grows will help you know what is (un)necessary for the methods that are best suited for you

OfflineHemlock

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: ABC]
    #11291055 - 10/21/09 10:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

b3jamboree said:
Flow hood is essential. I don't mean to be a jerk, but you are going to learn the hard way on this.

I hope you aren't the only one doing the labor.

Don't worry about being a jerk. I realize that a flow hood is a very good thing to have, but I think that it is possible to still have colonizing jars that don't contam without one. I'll look in to one when my budget allows, and I feel skilled enough to justify it.

Quote:

ABC said:
No need to start with that high of an investment at first. Some of the things you listed are not necessary.

Start with a culture syringe of oyster mushrooms, a pressure cooker, grains, old spaghetti sauce jars with a polyfil filter from an old stuffed animal, trash bags and straw.

Just doing some practice grows will help you know what is (un)necessary for the methods that are best suited for you

Hmm, you're quite right - perhaps I should go with less equipment until I get the process down. I was planning on starting with oysters, and possibly something like lion's mane. Then a few years down the road I might try something like morels.

Thank you both!

Say, are there any other species (other than oysters) that might be good to start off with?

Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
    #11291164 - 10/21/09 10:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Just start with oysters. If you jump into anything you need to sterilize sawdust for you are going to need to get more pressure cooking capacity.

OfflineHemlock

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: b3jamboree]
    #11291183 - 10/21/09 10:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Will do, I guess I'm just a bit overeager.

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #11294753 - 10/21/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You just mentioning cultivating Morels really makes me think you need to do more reading.

Just being honest.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #11294935 - 10/21/09 08:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

plastic sheeting and boxes too. i would dump the boxes and get the plastic shelves and more plastic sheeting to cover the shelves for a greenhouse.

i bet you could work from the petri dish to start with get a sample mushroom and clone it.

then lc it to a malt extract corn sugar based liquid.
next choice is complicated but if you go with grain then you can do g2g in as little as 3 days off of a previous g2g.

then dump um into straw as needed for your ?bag ? what type. no tray? how you gunna grow them and how you gunna fruit them?

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

OfflineHemlock

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: ratdog]
    #11297525 - 10/22/09 03:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cryogenicz said:
You just mentioning cultivating Morels really makes me think you need to do more reading.

Just being honest.

-Graham

Oh yes, more reading is always a good thing. I know that Morels are years down the road, and that they indeed seem to be some of the hardest to cultivate. I simply like to set long-term goals for myself. Thank you though.
Quote:

ratdog said:
plastic sheeting and boxes too. i would dump the boxes and get the plastic shelves and more plastic sheeting to cover the shelves for a greenhouse.

i bet you could work from the petri dish to start with get a sample mushroom and clone it.

then lc it to a malt extract corn sugar based liquid.
next choice is complicated but if you go with grain then you can do g2g in as little as 3 days off of a previous g2g.

then dump um into straw as needed for your ?bag ? what type. no tray? how you gunna grow them and how you gunna fruit them?

I was planning on grain spawn to straw log and keeping a few (perhaps many) agar cultures going for strain isolation and extra stock. I'm going to be converting a room in my house in to a fruiting chamber - insulation, plastic sheeting over the walls, wood framing for hanging logs, etc.

Grain and agar appeal to me as it seems that they hold a potential for having nigh-unlimited stock. This is good because as a person new to the world of mycology in practice, I'm sure I'll lose much of my initial stock to contamination.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #11297667 - 10/22/09 04:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

my advice is to start small learn from your mistakes and stick to the basics.

Stick to one mushroom type initially, it is always tempting to start offf with a bang and do all sorts of different mushrooms - but it is not a good idea.

It looks like you are going to use rice flour supplemented straw for your substrates, is wheat bran not cheaper as a supplement?

Try to see if you can find free sawdust and a oyster culture that grows well on sawdust.  This will improve your margins and your economic return which will mean you will be able to expand mush sooner that if you try and buy substrates.  The idea is to use waste lignin/cellulose materials and process it into mushrooms.

other than that, good luck!

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineHemlock

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: solumvita]
    #11297794 - 10/22/09 05:50 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

solumvita said:
my advice is to start small learn from your mistakes and stick to the basics.

Stick to one mushroom type initially, it is always tempting to start offf with a bang and do all sorts of different mushrooms - but it is not a good idea.

It looks like you are going to use rice flour supplemented straw for your substrates, is wheat bran not cheaper as a supplement?

Try to see if you can find free sawdust and a oyster culture that grows well on sawdust.  This will improve your margins and your economic return which will mean you will be able to expand mush sooner that if you try and buy substrates.  The idea is to use waste lignin/cellulose materials and process it into mushrooms.

other than that, good luck!

Thank you! I'll do this. We live in farm country out here, and there's lots of building going on so getting free sawdust (maybe straw too) should be a breeze. As for the cultures, I'll be checking out the sponsors. Any recommendation?

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
    #11301017 - 10/22/09 04:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

r u gonna get a humidifier and another fan to pull air outta the room.. isn't your house already insulated??? i never tried to set up a grow room inside for mushrooms .if you have never grown a mushroom ,i would definitely try a small grow and get the hang of it.. cause alotta those things u listed u will find to be unneccesary,(vermiculite , brf,hygrometer )instead of verm and brf find a locally produced product like corn, wheat , millet. buy it from a local farmer or co op. u will save a little there. u don't wanna have to make cakes for spawn,good luck

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11302954 - 10/22/09 09:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hemlock said:
As for the cultures, I'll be checking out the sponsors. Any recommendation?

I got a recommendation, learn how to preserve strains and grow them out. So, even though sponsors are great, you can get some good practice and education by getting some free spores or tissue from someone here and growing them out.
If you don't want to take the time I suggest looking into dowels and using sporeworks.

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

OfflineHemlock

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11304628 - 10/23/09 07:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Perhaps the insulation isn't completely necessary then?
I was thinking it might be a good idea because the winter is coming quickly, and this house is very old. Most of the current insulation in the semi-renovated areas (such as the room I'll be converting for FC) comes from the old wattle-and-dob-type walls with bits of cloth and horse hair. Just thinking it would be better safe than sorry. I was indeed intending on buying a humidifier, hence the plastic sheeting and wood. I figure these will probably be sufficient to keep the moisture off of the walls, though perhaps other precautions will be necessary.

As for getting cultures/tissue samples - I'm not sure if I'd feel completely comfortable asking for something without another culture/sample to give in return. Sporeworks seems like a good bet though.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

#11304984 - 10/23/09 08:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hemlock said:
As for getting cultures/tissue samples - I'm not sure if I'd feel completely comfortable asking for something without another culture/sample to give in return.

You might be surprised at the generosity of some people on this forum :grin:

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

OfflineHemlock

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #11305608 - 10/23/09 11:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

But it's so frightening, and everyone has been here so much longer, and I get so nervous then I start rambling and it's just terrible. You people are so great. Best forum I've ever joined, good vibes.

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #11306487 - 10/23/09 02:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If you are willing to spend that much money on supplies, buy a Flowhood and a pressure cooker, and everything else can be acquired through friends or picked up for free. Those two devices will make your experience that much more enjoyable. That is if you are for sure happy with your choice of hobby.

Lipa

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: lipa]
    #11317924 - 10/25/09 11:41 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lipa said:
If you are willing to spend that much money on supplies, buy a Flowhood and a pressure cooker, and everything else can be acquired through friends or picked up for free. Those two devices will make your experience that much more enjoyable. That is if you are for sure happy with your choice of hobby.

Lipa

yes ............this man understands...........but i would stuff straw in any and every available spot if its free.

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: ratdog]
    #11318184 - 10/25/09 12:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

<<but i would stuff straw in any and every available spot if its free. >>
Absolutely - we have grown almost all phases and the more places/ways you do means better success and discovery. You will find your best methods and be able to crop almost year round if you un-limit yourself on media, sites and indoor/out cultivation.

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

OfflineHemlock

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Materials for Small Edibles Farm. [Re: curenado]
    #11319333 - 10/25/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

curenado said:
<<but i would stuff straw in any and every available spot if its free. >>
Absolutely - we have grown almost all phases and the more places/ways you do means better success and discovery. You will find your best methods and be able to crop almost year round if you un-limit yourself on media, sites and indoor/out cultivation.

This would be good.

I'll more than likely be able to hook up with some people for cheap if not free spawning media which will in turn allow me a few test grows. Come spring time the weather should be good enough to try fruiting outside until and including which time I'll use an indoor FC. It will be interesting to see the differences in the fruitbodies. I hear outside growing generally yields larger, and more substantial mushrooms?

What would you recommend for a flow hood brand and price wise?

Thank you once again, this has all been quite helpful!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags